Electric Parking Brake automatically engages when shifted to park | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electric Parking Brake automatically engages when shifted to park

ClarkG

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer ST
Long story short. Got a new 22 ST to replace my 20 ST. Drove it for about 700 miles and the transmission trashed itself. Quite the surprise as I had driven it really easy and have no mods. Symptoms were hard downshifts, particularly from 6 to 7 gear.

Dealer tried to replace valve body to no avail, but upon further review found metal parts in pan and replaced whole transmission.

Immediately upon getting my Explorer back after nearly 4 weeks I noticed that every time I shifted into park the parking brake was automatically applied.

After a short discussion with the dealer it was learned that this new transmission had the “recall fix” applied.

The parking brake will stay on until you shift into gear and either press the button or gas pedal.

I expect this change will becoming to all recalled Explorers in the next few months.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Long story short. Got a new 22 ST to replace my 20 ST. Drove it for about 700 miles and the transmission trashed itself. Quite the surprise as I had driven it really easy and have no mods. Symptoms were hard downshifts, particularly from 6 to 7 gear.

Dealer tried to replace valve body to no avail, but upon further review found metal parts in pan and replaced whole transmission.

Immediately upon getting my Explorer back after nearly 4 weeks I noticed that every time I shifted into park the parking brake was automatically applied.

After a short discussion with the dealer it was learned that this new transmission had the “recall fix” applied.

The parking brake will stay on until you shift into gear and either press the button or gas pedal.

I expect this change will becoming to all recalled Explorers in the next few months.

Interesting, not sure how this is built in being the software isn't available yet and it's the software that causes the E-Brake to engage upon putting it in Park.

Interesting, not sure how this is built in being the software isn't available yet and it's the software that causes the E-Brake to engage upon putting it in Park.
Is the software in the ECM or does the transmission have it’s own controller? I received a complete transmission replacement and all the latest updates.

“Replaced transmission under LTIS. Replaced transmission, programmed strategy, reset. Retested and could not reduplicate concern.”

Is the software in the ECM or does the transmission have it’s own controller? I received a complete transmission replacement and all the latest updates.

“Replaced transmission under LTIS. Replaced transmission, programmed strategy, reset. Retested and could not reduplicate concern.”
According to Ford the software isn’t available yet.

According to Ford the software isn’t available yet.
According to Ford (i.e. my Explorer) replacement transmissions must have at least the temporary “fix” to satisfy the NHTSA demands. This may not be the final fix, but if you don’t like having your parking brake auto-applied I would ignore any request for a recall ;)

• Police Units – The parts required to repair Explorer police units are anticipated to be available by the end of 3rd Quarter 2022. This Dealer Bulletin will be supplemented when parts are available.
  • Non-police Units – Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to reprogram the PCM to the latest level. This PCM update will engage the electronic parking brake every time the vehicle is shifted into Park (P). An engaged parking brake will not allow the vehicle to roll. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
    • NOTE: PCM calibrations are not available at this time. Please monitor the 22S27 landing page for calibration update availability.
IMPORTANT: Dealers should open a Repair Order (RO) only when a full dealer bulletin is published and parts/calibrations are available.

• Police Units – The parts required to repair Explorer police units are anticipated to be available by the end of 3rd Quarter 2022. This Dealer Bulletin will be supplemented when parts are available.
  • Non-police Units – Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to reprogram the PCM to the latest level. This PCM update will engage the electronic parking brake every time the vehicle is shifted into Park (P). An engaged parking brake will not allow the vehicle to roll. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
    • NOTE: PCM calibrations are not available at this time. Please monitor the 22S27 landing page for calibration update availability.
IMPORTANT: Dealers should open a Repair Order (RO) only when a full dealer bulletin is published and parts/calibrations are available.
I can confirm the PCM update is available. :D

I’m not a fan because I hate having to press the accelerator or the button to make my car go backwards or roll out of a parking space.

I suppose I will get used to it, but it’s less than ideal.

Unless your dealership can show you paperwork showing The new PCM calibrations have been downloaded to your vehicle… it would be safe to say they’re blowing smoke up your ass.
Did you miss the part where the brand new transmission with the latest software has this exact same behavior as the PCM update? The PCM update is available.

Even more unbelievable is I got a brand new transmission shipped from the factory and installed in less than 4 days.

Post a picture of your work order… 😉

dang! thats cool!!! maybe youre the test mule!

Hi, I am new to the forum as we recently purchased a 2022 Ford Explorer XLT. I was wondering if the parking brake should automatically engage when shifted into park? Is there a way to turn this feature off? Thank you so much for the help! Have a great day!

this is the second time ive heard of this!!! apparently, it was installed on a recall X in order to prevent it from rolling away, perhaps it can be disabled in forscan? not fmiliar with the new gen, and especislly not with the recall ones, as just a few hours ago was the first report i have heard of this. is yours brand spankin new, or did it just go in for recall work? this seems to be quite a new breakign development!

this is the second time ive heard of this!!! apparently, it was installed on a recall X in order to prevent it from rolling away, perhaps it can be disabled in forscan? not fmiliar with the new gen, and especislly not with the recall ones, as just a few hours ago was the first report i have heard of this. is yours brand spankin new, or did it just go in for recall work? this seems to be quite a new breakign development!
We bought it Friday and it had 4 miles on it so it is brand new. Build date of 4/22

We bought it Friday and it had 4 miles on it so it is brand new. Build date of 4/22
then thats why it may have that new software on it that does that! i think its quite a new thing, only seen it once elsewhere so far, so super cool! looks like it will be finding its way into other X's!!!!

hwres another! maybe these two are the firsts!

Coming from the north this seems to be a very bad idea. It might be old school thinking now, but when I learned to drive I was taught never apply the parking brake in the winter. The reason being was your brakes get warm (above 32) and if they get wet and you apply the parking brake your brakes could very well freeze and you wouldn't be able to disengage them when you wanted to leave.

We bought our 22 almost 4 weeks ago - it has always engaged the parking brake when we shift to park. I hadn't really thought anything about it until all the talk about the rear diff and the recall. If it was indeed because of the recall, then basically ours came that way when it hit the dealership a month ago. I haven't gone through the menu setting yet to see if it can be turned off.

Here is what the 2022 Manual says;

The electric parking brake could apply
when you shift to park (P) without the
brake pedal fully pressed. The electric
parking brake applies when you shift to
park (P) on large slopes. The electric
parking brake releases with the drive away
release function or manually

I didn't find anything indicating that going into Park would automatically engage the electric parking brake. It seems that it may if the brake pedal isn't fully depressed when selecting Park.

EDIT: Since merging the other thread on this topic, it appears it is a new software "fix".

Peter

This is how I use mine 99% of the time so even if they update mine... I'll hardly notice, except for backing out of the garage... :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Coming from the north this seems to be a very bad idea. It might be old school thinking now, but when I learned to drive I was taught never apply the parking brake in the winter. The reason being was your brakes get warm (above 32) and if they get wet and you apply the parking brake your brakes could very well freeze and you wouldn't be able to disengage them when you wanted to leave.
Very interesting. I wonder if parking brake technology has changed over the years?

Back