Explorer engine swap electrical connections | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer engine swap electrical connections

TestPoint

Reaction score
City, State
Ellijay
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 5.0 in an '82 Volvo
I am in the process of installing a 2000 Mountaineer 302 V8 and 4R70W transmission into an ’82 Volvo. Got most of the mechanical installation complete and have left the wiring harness for last. The circuit and page references are to the Ford Electrical Diagrams. The new connector references are to connectors I installed on the Ford Battery Junction Box to allow complete removal.

While this information references connections to the Volvo it would apply to any engine swap using that engine/transmission family (’96 – ’01).

I went through the diagrams and inventoried all 42 pins of this connector for use in a foreign environment and determined the following provides everything needed. The more difficult part is understanding what is potentially missing. I would certainly appreciate any comments on both what is missing and what I have gotten wrong.

Properly corrected and commented upon this could be a valuable list for future engine swaps if only we had a V8 engine swap sub forum.

C115M pin out

1.) Pin 1 (red/light green) (circuit 16, page 13-16) receives start/run power from the base of the PCM Power Diode located in the Battery Junction Box (BJB) (new connector pin 1). This lead provides power to the ignition coils. See the section below for a discussion on supplying ignition start/run voltage to the base of the diode.

2.) Pin 2 (tan/yellow) (circuit 11, page 62-2) provides a tachometer signal from the PCM to the Volvo Body Connector (VBC). Since I did not have a wiring harness connection for a tach I just assigned pin 4 of the VBC. Also see the note on replacing the VBC.

3.) Pin 3 (pink/light blue) provides a signal from the PCM to the OBDII Data Port connector pin 10 (circuit 915, page 25-6)

4.) Pin 4 (red/light green) (circuit 810, pages 30-2 and 59-6) receives B+ upon application of the brake pedal to unlock the torque converter. This requires the addition of a new circuit from the body through the VBC to C115M.

5.) Pin 5 (dark green/yellow) provides a signal from the BJB back to the PCM that the fuel pump relay has been activated (circuit 238, page 25-1).

6.) Pin 6 (pink/light green) provided a signal from the PCM to light the Check Engine Light/Malfunction Indicator Light (CEL/MIL) on the Volvo instrument panel (circuit 658, page 23-2). This requires the addition of a new connection through the VBC pin 6.

7.) Pin 8 (yellow) (circuit 37, page 25-1) receives permanent B+ power for PCM memory from BJB fuse #6 (10A) (new connector pin 3).

8.) Pin 9 (red) (circuit 361, page 25-2) receives start/run B+ from the BJB PCM Power Relay to provide voltage to operate Fuel Injectors, Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve and the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAFS) (new connector pin 4).

9.) Pin 11 (tan/orange) (circuit 914, page 25-6) provides a signal from the PCM to the OBDII Data Port connector pin 2.

10.) Pin 12 (tan/white) (circuit 234, page 30-2) in its Ford environment receives B+ from the ignition switch through the momentary contact Transmission Control Switch (TCS) which is located on the shift stalk. The PCM starts in default mode to allow use of overdrive but momentary voltage from the TCS locks out overdrive. Another momentary contact steps the PCM to allow overdrive. Not having a Ford shift stalk and not wanting to add a big button somewhere I did not use this feature. It would be easy to pick up B+ within the Volvo body rather than adding both in and out wires and route a single wire through a momentary contact switch to pin 12 if you felt the need to lock out overdrive, as in towing a trailer.

11.) Pin 15 (light blue/orange) (circuit 926, page 25-1) provides a ground from the PCM to the BJB Fuel Pump Relay winding to operate the relay (new connector pin 9).

12.) Pin 16 (red/white) (circuit 39, page 62-2) connects the engine temperature sensor within the Ford wiring harness through the VBC pin 2 (yellow) to operate the temperature gauge on the instrument panel.

13.) Pin 22 (violet) (circuit 107, page 14-1, 25-6) provides a signal from the PCM to the OBDII Data Port connector pin 13

14.) Pin 26 (dark green/white) (circuit 253, page 62-2) connects the engine oil sensor within the Ford wiring harness through the VBC pin 1 (black) to operate the oil pressure light on the instrument panel.

15.) Pin 34 (black/white) (circuit 570, page 10-2) Ground

16.) Pin 36 (light blue/orange) (circuit 34, page 13-5, 25-6) is supplied start/run B+ from BJB fuse #13 (15A) for O2 sensor operation (new connector pin 9).

17.) Pin 41 (light green/red) (circuit 904, page 12-1) is provided power from the ignition switch in the start and run positions through the instrument panel charge indicator light to the VBC pin 3.

18.) Pin 42 (yellow/white) (circuit 36 page 12-1) receives B+ from BJB fuse #14 (30a) and provides power to the alternator regulator for the field winding power through the wiring harness (new connector pin 12).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Vss & ftp

C115 Pin 7 (GY/BK), Vehicle Speed Sensor is an input to the PCM Pin 58 that may affect transmission upshifts and downshifts.

C115 Pin 17 (RD/PK), Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) is an input to the PCM Pin 62. No FTP signal may cause the PCM to generate a CEL.

Excellent, thank you!

Now, since I do not have a speed sensor nor a fuel pressure sensor can you suggest a way to 'fool' the PCM into not lighting the CEL or doing strange things with the shift pattern.

It looks like there is no way to escape a custom tune of the PCM for other reasons. Perhaps these can be handled there also.

wait and see

Since you plan for an OBD-II port I would wait and see what the PCM does when the signals are missing.

The fuel pressure sensor is a pressure to voltage transducer which could be simulated with variable voltage divider (potentiometer wired between ground and battery voltage with wiper as the output to the PCM).

The PCM probably reverts to a back up algorithm when it detects a failed VSS. The PCM could use the engine RPM (from the crankshaft position sensor), the digital transmission range selector, and the axle ratio to compute the vehicle speed. The VSS signal assists the PCM in isolating to failed components. You might try searching the forum for threads describing symptoms for a failed VSS.

4 wheel abs

According to my wiring diagrams the rear axle sensor provides a signal to the 4 wheel anti-lock brake system that generates the vehicle speed sensor signal to the PCM, cruise control, instrument cluster, GEM, radio, etc. No VSS signal will probably result in a 4WABS fault and a CEL. I used to have an 1983 DL and I seem to remember the speedometer was mechanically driven so that won't be a problem. I know it had 4 wheel disc brakes but I doubt it had ABS. You'll probably need a tune to eliminate the ABS related CEL.

speedometer drive?

When I posted earlier that the speedometer would not be a problem because it is mechanically driven I was thinking that the cable drive was from one of the front wheels. Now I'm thinking that the drive is attached to the Volvo transmission. What transmission was originally in your Volvo? Did the speedometer drive cable come from the transmission? If so, how do you plan to drive the speedometer if you install the 4R70W transmission?

My 4R70W has a blanking plug where a speedometer cable would go and the shaft gear to drive the mechanical cable. I found an appropriate length cable at NAPA, added the Ford parts counter guy's best guess as to the proper gear and bolted it all together. It may be off some but the little nylon gears are only $3 so with another guess or two I will get it close enough for folk music.

nice solution!

As I recall your Volvo axle ratio is 3.31:1 which was also available on some Explorers with the V8/4R70W. Maybe you'll get lucky and have the correct drive gear.

I considered purchasing a Volvo PV-544 before deciding on my Sport. I think I made the right choice considering the cost and availability of parts and the later technology.

While the Ford may have had 3.31 rear end, which mine does, bet it did not have 185 - 70 x 14" tires. I'll just tune it with a gps until it is about right.

The old Volvos have turned into much sought after restoration/engine swap cars. The 240's with Ford/GM V8's are as popular as they were in the early '90's.

Back