Front Driveshaft and U-joint question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Driveshaft and U-joint question

poophead

Reaction score
City, State
Rushville, Ohio 43150
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer
Hey All,

I purchased a new front driveshaft from Advanced Auto (or rather a rebuilt one). The cost was the same as having my old one rebuilt, but....I got a lifetime warranty!!! The cost was $250... after my discount.

My question is about the front u-joint. There does not appear to be anything other than the u straps that hold the two bearing caps (don't know if that's the correct term) to the front. The two sides attached to the shaft have the clips in them. Is this normal, or am I missing something? My shaft did come with a single c clip, no holes on the ends to use c clip pliers, and a metal band of some sort. The boot on the t/c side is installed already.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,
Steve

Yeah, that is all there is, just the two straps & four screws T35 IIRC, just clean the saddles in the differential yoke, you know there may be a little rust and what not in there. A little light scraping and maybe some sandpaper will help the new one seat down in there better.

Thanks for the reply. I began looking closer at the setup, and on the bottom of the bearing cap there is a groove. It appears as though the c clip would ride in there and use the u strap as its containment. I believe I'm missing a c clip.

I'll see how it all fits tomorrow.

Again, thanks for the reply. I don't post much, but have learned a TON.

I was able to replace all my ball joints thanks to the write up in the stickies section.

Steve

The joint will only use 2 clips on the drive shaft yoke. The retaining straps hold the ujoint in place but are smooth on the inside. The ubolt caps fit behind a raised lip on part of the flange yoke. You will not have c-clips on 2 of the ujoint caps when installed correctly.

Back