how can I make my 98 an off-road machine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how can I make my 98 an off-road machine?

NickOD98XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT 4.0L SOHC
My 98 XLT is getting up there on mileage, and im looking into buying a new vehicle so I dont have to use my 'sploder as often. The plan is, once I get said vehicle, ill be making my spolder into a beast off-road.

My question is; What parts should I buy for more HP and torque? She got 155k on the odometer, so im not trying to dump crazy money in her for the off chance she ***** the bed, but I'd like to get an idea of what I'm looking at. If all yall have any suggestions, i'm all eyes and ears!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer.jpg

I was looking at BF Goodrich 30" ATs. Unless I do my shackles and torsion twist prior to new tires, then i'll just send it with 31s or maybe 32s.

You say beast, but that's going to require something bigger than 30's and a real suspension lift like the superlift and possibly a body lift too. If you just want a little lift to play around for cheap do an AAL and/or Warrior shackles with a TT and some 32's and rock on.

My 96 has this setup listed above and it's a nice setup, nothing crazy but it's ok for some mild mudding.

My 99 has this setup with the 4" superlift and 35's and honestly for any hardcore off roading I'd probably do a body lift too, as I can still scrape the running boards without too much trouble just playing in my driveway haha.

For anything serious a SAS and lockers is a must, but tires are number 1.

"Beast" was a bit of an over exaggeration. xD I just want to have a decent lift set up so I can go through decent sized puddles.
I live in Massachusetts and the off-road trails are pretty limited in the area surrounding me, but still ahve decent puddles and rocks to climb. I would say that the rocks are no more that 1 or 2 feet tall.
Im on the border of MA and NH (the granite state) so its more so rock climbing than anything else.
I was already gonna do the TT and order some Warrior shackles, Id like to build a list of parts so I can put them all in my sploder 1 by 1 or whatever.
Thanks for the info though 1997XLTRollover

There's no way you're going over a 1-2 foot rock without a Superlift. The biggest issue is your differentials have to be higher off the ground. The only way to do that is bigger tires, only way to fit bigger tires is a pretty large lift.

Take a look here at my 99 to get an idea of what the setup I have did, I think the truck will be sold tomorrow so I probably won't be able to take anymore pics, but you can at least get an idea.

Now remove the 4 inch Superlift and another 2 inches because you'll never clear 35's. Maybe 32's tops. With a TT, AAL, Shackles and 32's you can probably get away with 1 foot rocks but anything much bigger be very careful because you'll bottom something out. The Superlift will cost you over 2 grand to do.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424743

There's no way you're going over a 1-2 foot rock without a Superlift. The biggest issue is your differentials have to be higher off the ground. The only way to do that is bigger tires, only way to fit bigger tires is a pretty large lift.

Take a look here at my 99 to get an idea of what the setup I have did, I think the truck will be sold tomorrow so I probably won't be able to take anymore pics, but you can at least get an idea.

Now remove the 4 inch Superlift and another 2 inches because you'll never clear 35's. Maybe 32's tops. With a TT, AAL, Shackles and 32's you can probably get away with 1 foot rocks but anything much bigger be very careful because you'll bottom something out. The Superlift will cost you over 2 grand to do.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424743

I run shackles, AAL and a TT with 33" Dunlop mud rovers, minimal trimming in the front, zero trim in the rear. Its locked with 410s and I can easily clear a 2 foot tall obstacle, just need to pick your angle is all.

I stand corrected. I didn't think 33's would clear. Far as the rock I suppose with 33's and careful driving you may be ok. But one slip and it could be a disaster. 2 feet is a good size rock. Measure from your running board to the ground. I bet it won't clear 24 inches if you were to slam down on something (suspension will sink too remember).

That being said maybe I'm raining on the parade too much. Try the suggested OP and just see how it works out.

I stand corrected. I didn't think 33's would clear. Far as the rock I suppose with 33's and careful driving you may be ok. But one slip and it could be a disaster. 2 feet is a good size rock. Measure from your running board to the ground. I bet it won't clear 24 inches if you were to slam down on something (suspension will sink too remember).

That being said maybe I'm raining on the parade too much. Try the suggested OP and just see how it works out.

Don't have running boards, and not that we have rocks to climb in south NJ but we have many a downed tree and I know I can clear 2 feet.

You need 33s at a minimum. Whatever lift you need to get that done- TT/AAL, body lift, trimming....

And maybe gears to counter act the larger tires.

Def gears! I bought mine bone stock and it had 327s in it, I lifted it and had the 33s on it before I regeared and man what a dog! the 410s woke it right up! The OP doesn't mention the power train in his Ex, if its a 5.0 its 373 he has the power and enough gear for 33s, if anything less it will be a gutless wonder! unless its a 4.0 with 410s?

Maybe I have to take my truck out and see if I can clear a 2 foot rock/tree, but 2 feet is a a fairly large object to drive over. Things like the torsion bars, a-arms, axles/diffs, even rockers can get hit. All depends on how much you are willing to chance beating your truck up. Sounds like the OP wants to have some fun but doesn't want to destroy his truck because it's still street driven.

This all begs another question OP, does your truck have skid plates?

Don't have running boards, and not that we have rocks to climb in south NJ but we have many a downed tree and I know I can clear 2 feet.

Um , 2 foot ground clearance is quite a big gain from 33" tires.

my X is a 4.0, and I do not have skid plates. My suspension is stock as of right now. I'm trying to be smart about doing the work on my truck to lift it due to financial reasons, but I already found a new DD that im looking into getting so I wont have to baby her as much. I would still like to have the proper set up so im not fixing it all the damn time.

That being said, I'll look into various suspension and body lifts and DEFNITELY looking into getting skid plates. That will save me trucks life because some of these rocks are monsters.

TT, AAL, and shackles will be my first step, and from there I'll get tires, then the lift. There are beginner trails all around southern NH, so with just a couple inches I could send it. Id like to get her onto the more intermediate trails, cause they take a few hours to drive to the other side. Its a lot of fun but im tired of sitting passenger.

All my buddies are die hard Jeep guys and im the only one with a Ford. they said to trade for a Jeep but personally, I dont like em at all.

BTW 1997XLTRollover, I looked at your thread of your eddie bauer, and I love what you have done to it. I want to do very similar things with ride height and wheels. I appreciate the side dump too, looks real sexy.

2 ft is a boulder where I'm from. ..and I definitely don't have the clearance for that on 35s. And there is no way in hell you're clearing a 2 ft diameter tree.

2 ft is a boulder where I'm from. ..and I definitely don't have the clearance for that on 35s. And there is no way in hell you're clearing a 2 ft diameter tree.

Thanks, guess I'll have to stop doing it then

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, guess I'll have to stop doing it then

I'm not saying I think you're lying, but I don't want to mislead this guy. Shoot us a pic of your truck from the ground to the bottoms of your running boards or frame (lowest point on your truck) so we can see how you have 2 feet of clearance to drive over a tree without high centering or smashing your truck up.

I measured my 96 and it has about a foot and a half and that's with a TT, AAL, shackles and it's currently sitting on 35's (no it can't turn). So pull the 35's off my truck and you drop even lower, closer to a foot being your best clearance. I sold my 99 or I'd measure that too because I don't even think that truck on 35's would clear a 2 foot rock or tree.

Now this is just stationary height too, when you come down off that rock or tree, the suspension is going to sink a couple inches and you'll smash the hell out of the truck then too. I'm thinking this 2 foot tree is more like a foot tops.

Back