Moab 2023 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2023

Looks like I'm going to make it! My better half approved a loan from the 1st home bank of savings. LoL
Working on Reservations now. I'll be "roughing" it in a tent at a campsite but I'll be there. To make work happy I'm arriving the 13th and departing on the 20th.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hoping to make it in the near future after I retire next year! I spent a lot of time around Moab when I lived in Farmington NM, wheeled an Explorer there and various early Bronco's. The Explorer picture is on Poison Spider, 31" tires with front/Rear LS units.

orange moab.jpg

explorer.jpg

Looks like I'm going to make it! My better half approved a loan from the 1st home bank of savings. LoL
Working on Reservations now. I'll be "roughing" it in a tent at a campsite but I'll be there. To make work happy I'm arriving the 13th and departing on the 20th.
That's awesome to hear. I hope finding a site somewhere happens. This close is going to take some skills and luck to secure a spot.

This place is on my lifetime goals list, no way I'm making it this year, but next year isn't impossible!

That's awesome to hear. I hope finding a site somewhere happens. This close is going to take some skills and luck to secure a spot.

Already made a reservation at the same campgrounds you're at.

Pic of the gen iii at tow is awesome!!!
The orange eb at the crack, nice line you chose!!

Moab is far from me now but I maybe able to go in 24 or 25 we would bring a crew from north Idaho / pnw

50 days! !
Nope, 25 days ! !

By my casual count, looks like we'll have between 15 - 20 attendees, which should be pretty awesome. . . Easily 2-3 groups on any given day that can chose trails based on vehicle capabilities or owner preference.

Paul

Pic of the gen iii at tow is awesome!!!
Thanks! I got some fun looks taking the rig up the trail. It managed everything well, was glad I had good sliders and bumpers, saved a few hits for sure. I had ice cold AC the full way in the 100 degree heat too :)
Moab is far from me now but I maybe able to go in 24 or 25 we would bring a crew from north Idaho / pnw
a few of us coming down from the Seattle area. You can make it from ID! its not too bad of a drive.

Hoping to make it in the near future after I retire next year! I spent a lot of time around Moab
This place is on my lifetime goals list, no way I'm making it this year, but next year isn't impossible!
1681753430438.png

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did." Mark Twain

Okay, I accept the fact that I'm a bad influence. . .

Paul

I'm slumming it in a tent again, and trying to decide if I need Heat (tent) or AC (rig) or both, is today's problem to figure out. LOL

Already decided on eating out. That made life easier for me.
Hoping to get an alignment before heading out. 3 weeks out is the normal around here to get in anywhere, and can be even harder for a modified rig, as 90% of these fools only know how to follow, what the stock settings are.
Anybody know a Shop in Moab, that adjusts Nitro pressure in shocks? Non to be found around here.

I'm in a tent as well. I can probably do a mix of eating out and cooking at camp. I've got a camp stove, and frying pans. :) Can't afford the extra gas to tow the camper, and not sure Eddie can pull the camper anyway with the larger tires, heavier bumpers, and all the cargo. I too am hoping to get an alignment done before the trip. Also hoping to get my hood scoop mounted and the hood painted before then.

Is Rick going to grace us with his presence this year? I want to finally meet the myth and the legend. LOL

Tim

The Pumpkin isn't in good shape these days. I don't trust it and it needs more work than I can do alone. I used to have FST do all the front suspension and steering work, but that deal feel through many years ago. After FST I found a guy with a local 4x4 shop who did some stuff that I think is sketchy and I don't trust it anymore.

I'm stuck not being able to decide which way to go with it. I would love to do a D60 pushed forward a bit, and run 40s, but I rarely take it wheeling anymore, so that just doesn't sound like a good investment. The other direction would be to do more of a restoration on it. Keeping the D44, but redoing the suspension and steering for better driveability. My coil overs are 23 years old and they no longer make the same size housing, so at the very least new mounts have to be made.

I don't trust it and it needs more work than I can do alone.
If it's a matter of needing more hands, just let me know and I'll be happy to drive up and lend assistance.

If it's a matter of needing more hands, just let me know and I'll be happy to drive up and lend assistance.
Thanks for the offer.

I don't trust my geometry skills as I have none. I also want it to turn out as awesome as it did the first time, and I think that will take more talent than I have. I had a sweetheart deal with the fab shop that did my SAS. When I was building their websites and they were building my truck. Times change. :(

Thanks for the offer.

I don't trust my geometry skills as I have none. I also want it to turn out as awesome as it did the first time, and I think that will take more talent than I have. I had a sweetheart deal with the fab shop that did my SAS. When I was building their websites and they were building my truck. Times change. :(
That does sound like an awesome deal. Its always great when you can trade skill for skill. I'll keep an eye out for reputable fab shops down here. Perhaps the members of the Mesa4Wheelers will know of someplace.

Three weeks from right now I’ll be driving to Moab. . .

For those who might be curious, I'm heading out Saturday morning. Google says its a 7hr 45min drive but we all know to add fuel/rest stops etc. And I won't drive the speed limit as I need to squeeze every mile I can from every gallon of gas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For those who might be curious, I'm heading out Saturday morning. Google says its a 7hr 45min drive but we all know to add fuel/rest stops etc. And I won't drive the speed limit as I need to squeeze every mile I can from every gallon of gas.

Would you be going through Payson or Flagstaff?

Back