My project 91 Explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My project 91 Explorer

Project: Flexy

I traded my 1992 Mazda B2600i Mini truck on airbags for 2 explorers; a 1991 and a 1992 EB. the 1991 is a Daily driver with 31's and the 1992 EB is a 6" lifted explorer with no trans that i have not taken delivery of.

Here are a few of the 1991...

12-30-07_1434.jpg

12-30-07_1435.jpg

Explorer_Twist_2.jpg

When i got this truck, the front passenger hub was blown, the front passenger brake was growling and dragging, the transfer case was engaging and disengaging at the wrong times, the motor ran rough, and it was filthy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for the info tim. i can get a 30 for 50 bucks with 3.55s to match my truck. its non vacuum so it'd be consant 4x4. it has the xj bracketry so i'd have to cut that all off to add perches. i have leaf springs, i need longer shocks either way, 30 or 5.5 lift. i learned to wheel with open diffs so i'd be fine with that since i can manuever my 2wd (4wd open diff 2 wheels turning) better than some locked up 4wd trucks. rice, i'll take the lift, give me time to get some money round up.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

so i bought the lift off of riceburner247, THANKS, and now have everything minus pitman arm, which i just bought off 89_black_beast on trs, and shocks. i also am lookin for 35's for my rims...

the lift with parts i got from a buddy in medford, (gears and lines)
0218091442.jpg

so a quick rundown.
1. i got a jeep xj given to me
2. i sold the jeep xj for 100 bucks and got the D30 for free (+100)
3. traded the D30 for a D44/9
4. traded that for a 5.5 lift (rusted and missing parts), extended radius arms, gears, shackles (i havent received yet) and brake lines
5. sold extended radius arms for 240 shipped (+305)
6. sold the used 5.5 lift for 200 (+505)
7. bought newer lookin lift for 150 (+355)

i did a bunch of wheel'n and deal'n but i came out ahead!!

Picked up some used 33" BFG muds today... FREE!!!

they have like 30% tread or so...

0301091521.jpg

0301091522a.jpg

i got some shocks now along with my new hatch spent 60 bucks altogether with hatch, shocks, and fender flares at the u pull it yard...

here are the shocks...
0318092149.jpg

0318092149a.jpg

the boots are pulled down on the rear shocks because i'm gonna try to paint them with blue, which will match my rig when i'm done. they are tuff country SX8000's in case you can't see them.

my hatch
0317091911a-1.jpg

0316090004.jpg

my new flares
0318092217a.jpg

i'm gotta trim them to fit my truck because they are made for a explorer sport..

My pitman arm which just came in... FINISHES MY LIFT!!!
0318092226.jpg

0318092226a.jpg

it'll be goin on whenever i can schedule the party... beer n pizza for helping... lol

well i found a ramp in town and decided to RTI my truck. i don't know the angle but using the calculator at http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/rti.htm , i put in 20 degrees, i went up 25" forwards and 23" (measuring from the bottom of the tire straight to the ground) backwards my scores woulda been 656 forward and 603 backward with a 111.5 wheelbase. basically means on a 20* ramp, i woulda went up 73" forward and 67" backwards... this is a stock 4 door explorer w/ disconnected sway bars, unclipped leaves, 3 washers in front under the coils...

all i know is that the tire was 25" off the ground forward, 23" backward and the ramp was like 30 degrees

so i guess it'd be 447 forward 411 backwards?

it wasn't an actual rti ramp

...I forgot to mention, the numbers I posted were on a 30 degree ramp...

...If you went up 25" (on the run, up ramp), divide by 111 (wheelbase), and times x 1000...You would come up with 225 as it is rounded down...

i don't know how far i traveled up the ramp. i know the tire was 25" STRAIGHT down to the ground. not down the ramp.

u-pull it yard. they were on a explorer sport. i'm gonna cut them up and make them fit mine or just sell them...

ok i did a bunch of trig and RTI score stuff... came up with this

ON A 20* RAMP
RockRanger - 622
Rick - 600
Maniak - 458
Jedi - 530
Froader - 593
Goblin - 378
no4lo - 437
RJ - 454
Pcola - 288
Tbars - 423
Dannyboy - 441
Stic-O - 496
91Rokkrawler - 450
Parker - 796 (pics to come)

Thats correct scoring for a 20 degree RTI Ramp

the krawl

heres my rig with rockkrawlers old axles....dana44 with ford 9. just got done 3 linking, heres my score:

20 degree ramp, traveled 90 inches up, i have 113 inch wheelbase.
90/113 x 1000 = 796.

measured from beginning of ramp to the point of contact, perpendicular to ramp, under the hub. then hub to hub, that all gave my my info.

input much appreciated!

IMG_5061.jpg

.Parker got it correct I believe...

...This is from the third paragraph from the link you posted...

"The distance is measured up the ramp and on the ramp, not to the actual hub of the wheel. That number is the divided by the vehicles wheelbase and then multiplied by 1000 to calculate the average. For example if a vehicle with a 81 inch wheelbase traveled 59 inches up a 20 degree ramp then the RTI would be calculated as: 59 divided by 81 x 1000 = 728 (rounded down). This method of multiplying by the vehicle's wheelbase allows vehicles of different wheelbases to compete with each other on the same ramp."

...Our scores were on a 30 degree ramp..so they would be mathematically higher by one calculation...

...This is Rick's truck on a 30 degree ramp which scored the 601 I posted...
DSC_0409_resize.jpg

...Nice X Parker...I will be looking forward to reading about your mod's and hopefully some more info on your build...Have you started your registry here yet???...:popcorn:

...Post #42-#44 of this thread could offer some more insight...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197788&page=3

FWIW the Zukmans had a laptop out there scoring the contestants also :D

the calculations i did was to see how high ALL tires were before the others lifted for everyones rigs. then i went to a different site, told it what i wanted the angle to be, and how high the tires were and it came up with the score.

.Parker got it correct I believe...

...This is from the third paragraph from the link you posted...

"The distance is measured up the ramp and on the ramp, not to the actual hub of the wheel. That number is the divided by the vehicles wheelbase and then multiplied by 1000 to calculate the average. For example if a vehicle with a 81 inch wheelbase traveled 59 inches up a 20 degree ramp then the RTI would be calculated as: 59 divided by 81 x 1000 = 728 (rounded down). This method of multiplying by the vehicle's wheelbase allows vehicles of different wheelbases to compete with each other on the same ramp."

...Our scores were on a 30 degree ramp..so they would be mathematically higher by one calculation...

...This is Rick's truck on a 30 degree ramp which scored the 601 I posted...
DSC_0409_resize.jpg

...Nice X Parker...I will be looking forward to reading about your mod's and hopefully some more info on your build...Have you started your registry here yet???...:popcorn:

...Post #42-#44 of this thread could offer some more insight...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197788&page=3

yea i currently listed my build on trs, but i think il throw it up right now. thanks a lot by the way! i had an elite membership but let it run out.. i need to get it back. il get on that. anywayz, watch for my thread

....You are currently being shown as an "Elite" member...:dunno:

painted my wheels with a gloss black today to seperate my wheels from all the other trucks in town that has the Ultra 50s...

0326091853a.jpg

0326091853b.jpg

0326091853.jpg

Back