New, in a way.

U235

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello all!

Just came into posession of a 1998 Explorer XLT, with a big bad 5.0 in it. I love this thing! My parents bought it brand new in '98, and kept it right up till last week, when dad got a new F-150. So, naturally, I inherited the Exploder. I love driving this thing. It's not a 4x4, so I restrain myself to the road most of the time, but that doesn't make it any less fun for me.

Short list of goals/upcoming additions:
-New radio head unit, as the display on the stock radio stopped working years ago.
-Fuzzy steering wheel, because the leather on the stock steering wheel is actuall coming loose on top. 0.o
-Replace the lower-front-passenger side ball joint, as I don't want any wheels falling off as I'm driving.
-New Cold Air Intake system, or cut-air-box, if I can figure out what that is and if it's legal.
-New exhaust system, probably Flowmaster.

Things y'all might lecture me for;
-I'd love to put a turbocharger on this thing, but I really don't know where to start. If anyone has any advice or could direct me toward a thread regarding this, I would be very thankful. (Just read a little more about this, and found some dollar figures... I'm still laughing at myself. Consider this struck from the list.)
-Gonna install a high-end stereo system once I save up some cash.

I admit that I don't know a lot about automechanics, but I'm looking forward to learning. And I think it's better to learn on this '98 Exploder than a better, more expensive, newer ride. Don'tcha think?

So, that's my list, for now.... This cashier is gonna be broke for quite a while. :p

so what do you think guys?

welcome

Back