New to me & Need a tone of Help 97 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to me & Need a tone of Help 97 Ford Explorer

HOBO

Reaction score
City, State
Austin Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT V6
Hello,

I just got this new to me Ford Explorer. I have "NO" Real knowledge on this thing at all. So, I got a tone of Questions. I hail from other side "DODGE" lol. Specifically a 1989 Dodge Ramcharger. A lot of new fancy & high tech stuff going on I'm not used to. In conjunction a completely different engineering style as well. I do have a Field Service Manual coming in. I think it is supposed to be here today or Thursday. I cant remember. But any who I got some big ticket questions that need to be answered so I can make the fixes need to get the thing inspected.

Big Ticket Questions:

Number 1: The Parking Brake Lever Adjuster " Gen 2: 3L2Z-2A638-AA" or I like to call the scissors, are completely missing. They are an assembly of two per each side of the axle. Making a total of 4 parts. I was wounding if Explorer Gen 3 "924-741" Parts are interchangeable? Because a quick search for gen 2, look to be a major pain to find & seem some what expensive. From a glance they look to be interchangeable, I would like confirmation on this.

The 2nd part of this question is. What is the best way to install them? From what I have currently found is I have to open the diff, yank the c-clips, then slide the axles out to get like 6 inches of clearance to install them. That seems down right absurd to me. There has to be a better way than that.

Number 2: My ABS light is on. I have never driven with ABS before. I know what it is & what it does. But I would like to know the most common failures as to what this could be.

Number 3: I have a coolant leak. I believe that I have found it. I think its coming from a bad seal at the Thermostat. But what I want to know. What are the common places that coolant leaks can happen on this Ford 4L V6 SOCH?

Number 4: What transmission do I have? What is normally paired with the 4L V6 SOCH? All I know is I have a 5 speed with Over Drive.

Small Ticket Questions:

Number 1: Whats the biggest Tire I can put on stock? Then whats the biggest Tire I can put on with a 2 inch lift? Last I read looked to be 31X10.50X15s on stock if my memories servers me right.

Number 2: My A/c blender switch does nothing. If I set to "Max A/c" Its freezing cold. If I just set to "A/c" is screaming Hot. Things looked to be vacuumed controlled. What normally causes something like this to happen?

Number 3: My radio was not working as in "Does not have power" I checked fuses, Things look good. Then I was messing with that 12v power port on the passenger side of the center console. Putting in my USB adapter. Then boom the power for the radio came on. Worked for a little bit. Then just randomly shut back off. I am thinking bad ground, loose wire or something like that. Any ideas?

Number 4: What is a recommended "LSD" I can put in the axle?

I know this is a lot. But trying to get everything going & working for the most part before Christmas. Any & all help is greatly appreciated! Also, I can not post pictures for some reason. I'll try later in a bit. So, I can not provide further questions I have & or references to help communicates what I'm looking at.

Best Regards,

HOBO

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll take the easy one...number 3 (a). The plastic thermostat housing on your SOHC are known to CRACK....so you need to replace the whole housing most likely....not just a leaking gasket....and I think it's a bit of a pain compared to most easy-peasy housings...

I'll take the easy one...number 3 (a). The plastic thermostat housing on your SOHC are known to CRACK....so you need to replace the whole housing most likely....not just a leaking gasket....and I think it's a bit of a pain compared to most easy-peasy housings...
Awesome! Thank you! do you know if the make metal ones instead that PA6 Plastic ones?

Hello,

I just got this new to me Ford Explorer. I have "NO" Real knowledge on this thing at all. So, I got a tone of Questions. I hail from other side "DODGE" lol. Specifically a 1989 Dodge Ramcharger. A lot of new fancy & high tech stuff going on I'm not used to. In conjunction a completely different engineering style as well. I do have a Field Service Manual coming in. I think it is supposed to be here today or Thursday. I cant remember. But any who I got some big ticket questions that need to be answered so I can make the fixes need to get the thing inspected.

Big Ticket Questions:

Number 1: The Parking Brake Lever Adjuster " Gen 2: 3L2Z-2A638-AA" or I like to call the scissors, are completely missing. They are an assembly of two per each side of the axle. Making a total of 4 parts. I was wounding if Explorer Gen 3 "924-741" Parts are interchangeable? Because a quick search for gen 2, look to be a major pain to find & seem some what expensive. From a glance they look to be interchangeable, I would like confirmation on this.

The 2nd part of this question is. What is the best way to install them? From what I have currently found is I have to open the diff, yank the c-clips, then slide the axles out to get like 6 inches of clearance to install them. That seems down right absurd to me. There has to be a better way than that.

Number 2: My ABS light is on. I have never driven with ABS before. I know what it is & what it does. But I would like to know the most common failures as to what this could be.

Number 3: I have a coolant leak. I believe that I have found it. I think its coming from a bad seal at the Thermostat. But what I want to know. What are the common places that coolant leaks can happen on this Ford 4L V6 SOCH?

Number 4: What transmission do I have? What is normally paired with the 4L V6 SOCH? All I know is I have a 5 speed with Over Drive.

Small Ticket Questions:

Number 1: Whats the biggest Tire I can put on stock? Then whats the biggest Tire I can put on with a 2 inch lift? Last I read looked to be 31X10.50X15s on stock if my memories servers me right.

Number 2: My A/c blender switch does nothing. If I set to "Max A/c" Its freezing cold. If I just set to "A/c" is screaming Hot. Things looked to be vacuumed controlled. What normally causes something like this to happen?
Number 3: My radio was not working as in "Does not have power" I checked fuses, Things look good. Then I was messing with that 12v power port on the passenger side of the center console. Putting in my USB adapter. Then boom the power for the radio came on. Worked for a little bit. Then just randomly shut back off. I am thinking bad ground, loose wire or something like that. Any ideas?
Number 4: What is a recommended "LSD" I can put in the axle?
I know this is a lot. But trying to get everything going & working for the most part before Christmas. Any & all help is greatly appreciated! Also, I can not post pictures for some reason. I'll try later in a bit. So, I can not provide further questions I have & or references to help communicates what I'm looking
1. The rear brake adjuster can be replaced with the axles in place.
2. ABS light. You Need to scan for codes. or uses Forscan ( free). But you probably have a bad sensor wire. ABS ring on one of the front wheel. A high end scanner will be able too tell you one sensor is not talking. You can also uses a Voltmeter too measure resistance at each connector and sensor.
3. Radio? Pretty easy too remove the radio. You will need the ford radio removal tool. Under $10 amazon, autozone, advance, etc. Check the wiring. But its probably a bad volume control button.
4. Coolant leak. Don't know your engine.
5. Transmission look at the label on the door jam. Its all your options.
6. Tires- don't know
7. LSD- don't know.

Welcome to Ef!!

So a 97 sohc that is still on the road, this is impressive! 97 was the first year of the sohc engine and they were recalled for timing chain components. Your truck the timing components were likely changed by the dealer. Many 97 when the recalls were done properly seem to run forever

Your transmission is a 5r55e automatic, it is actually a 4 speed that uses computer controls to create a “false second gear” the computer combines 1st gear and overdrive to make this happen. So yes it is a “5 speed”
Again to have a 97 that is still on the road = awesome

The rear e brake is a small drum inside your disc brake rotor. The e brake drum can be a pita to repair, many people get frustrated and just gut it. I mean it’s an automatic so how often do people push down the parking brake? Not often. It is a good idea to get it working… just so you have an emergency brake. No the axlehsafts do not have to come out, but it can make the repair easier

The sohc thermostat housing is plastic and cracks. You can get a good metal one on amazon or eBay or even parts stores these days.

Many of us here dislike the early abs braking system. The light is on which means the abs is disabled, it is likely a wheel speed sensor or some other issue, can be fixed rather easily if you really want abs brakes. I prefer these rigs without them. The way this system works is it pulses the brake pedal when it activates… I have spent much time on this forum in the last 24 years talking crap about the factory 4 wabs system I dislike it and I remove it from my personal rigs

About the ac temp question, what model is your 97? Is it an Eddie Bauer? Limited? Does it have manual hvac controls or electronic? (Dials or digital pushbutton)
At least your truck is switching from hot to cold! There is hope

Your rear axle is quite possibly already a limited slip differential. There is an axle code on your drivers door sticker, what is the code? It is starts w a letter you have a factory limited slip. D2 would be 4.10 ratio with limited slip, d4 is 3.73 w lsd,

So now we want to know:

How many miles on the 97?
Pictures?
Is it rwd or 4wd?

Again welcome to ef, the gen ii explorer from 95-01 is a good truck! We love them here

Welcome to Ef!!

So a 97 sohc that is still on the road, this is impressive! 97 was the first year of the sohc engine and they were recalled for timing chain components. Your truck the timing components were likely changed by the dealer. Many 97 when the recalls were done properly seem to run forever

Your transmission is a 5r55e automatic, it is actually a 4 speed that uses computer controls to create a “false second gear” the computer combines 1st gear and overdrive to make this happen. So yes it is a “5 speed”
Again to have a 97 that is still on the road = awesome

The rear e brake is a small drum inside your disc brake rotor. The e brake drum can be a pita to repair, many people get frustrated and just gut it. I mean it’s an automatic so how often do people push down the parking brake? Not often. It is a good idea to get it working… just so you have an emergency brake. No the axlehsafts do not have to come out, but it can make the repair easier

The sohc thermostat housing is plastic and cracks. You can get a good metal one on amazon or eBay or even parts stores these days.

Many of us here dislike the early abs braking system. The light is on which means the abs is disabled, it is likely a wheel speed sensor or some other issue, can be fixed rather easily if you really want abs brakes. I prefer these rigs without them. The way this system works is it pulses the brake pedal when it activates… I have spent much time on this forum in the last 24 years talking crap about the factory 4 wabs system I dislike it and I remove it from my personal rigs

About the ac temp question, what model is your 97? Is it an Eddie Bauer? Limited? Does it have manual hvac controls or electronic? (Dials or digital pushbutton)
At least your truck is switching from hot to cold! There is hope

Your rear axle is quite possibly already a limited slip differential. There is an axle code on your drivers door sticker, what is the code? It is starts w a letter you have a factory limited slip. D2 would be 4.10 ratio with limited slip, d4 is 3.73 w lsd,

So now we want to know:

How many miles on the 97?
Pictures?
Is it rwd or 4wd?

Again welcome to ef, the gen ii explorer from 95-01 is a good truck! We love them here

Thank you so much!!! I greatly appreciate this answer! This what I was looking for! I can answer a few points! Its a 2 Door, Red, & has a 172,500 ish on the clock. A/c has dials. Its very complete to be honest. I haven't taken any pictures yet, but will soon! Been so busy just getting it going to pass inspection & doing the Nickle N dime stuff before Christmas. Since a road trip its coming up I need it for. But I have to have the parking break to pass Texas inspection. So, I got to get it done. If possible how does one install the adjusting lever with the axle? what's the trick & does gen 3 adjusting levers work?

and good to know on the thermostat housing, I'll have to get one! and do thank you for the detailed answer! Much Much Appreciated. Plus, its a XLT with tow package..

Yeeyee
A red sport even better

Amazon product ASIN B08SW98Q3V
Here's the thread on how to fix your parking breaks

For parking brake scissors, I was able to use f150 style, however they are not side to side labeled correctly. Kit should be available at oriellys, and returnable. Pretty sure that's what I used.

924741. Dorman

Sk924741 skp

Same number you got.

Yeah, it's a good idea to service the diff at this time, get your backers assembled then slide axles back in
Bearings and seals too. It's a list of stuff, you'll find the end of it.

Your truck has mono leafs!?! And a tow package! Lol see if your rear leaf springs are a single leaf… I’m not sure if the mono leaf was a thing in 97…. I have forgotten more about these trucks then what I know.
if so some 4 door leafs would go in there nicely

97 sport sohc likely has 4.10 rear axle gears and a limited slip

For parking brake scissors, I was able to use f150 style, however they are not side to side labeled correctly. Kit should be available at oriellys, and returnable. Pretty sure that's what I used.

924741. Dorman

Sk924741 skp

Same number you got.

Yeah, it's a good idea to service the diff at this time, get your backers assembled then slide axles back in
Bearings and seals too. It's a list of stuff, you'll find the end of it.

Thank you! Especially for the Dorman part number! that was exactly what I was needing!!! you rock!!!

Your truck has mono leafs!?! And a tow package! Lol see if your rear leaf springs are a single leaf… I’m not sure if the mono leaf was a thing in 97…. I have forgotten more about these trucks then what I know.
if so some 4 door leafs would go in there nicely

97 sport sohc likely has 4.10 rear axle gears and a limited slip

Per your request & more organized list of information. Plus, some new stuff I have learned today about it. I look forward to hearing your thoughts & what new information you can provide me about this thing. Oh, one more thing the tires are currently a P235/ "70"R / 15 That "70" just does not look right. Too damn small.

1997 Ford Explorer: XLT W/ Tow Package AKA The "Red Fury" lol
Door Type: 2 Door
Drive Type: RWD
Engine: 4L V6 SOCH "Stock"
Transmission: 5R55E
Axle: 8.8 I believe With 4.10 Gears
Leaf Spring: Yes Mono Spring "I though this was like some sick joke by ford, makes me uncomfortable as hell."

New Items before I got it:

New Radiator : 20-30 K on it

New Spark Plugs, Wires, Ignition Coil Pack : 20-30 K on them

New Shocks : About 6 years ago

Photos:

Door ID sticker

You can put an easy , or, lunchbox locker in the open rear diff. Aussie, powertrax

Otherwise, for true LSD you'll need a whole new carrier.

WOW!....the body and paint are like mint on that....was it repainted ? ....if not looks like it was garage kept!
Here's link for inexpensive cruise control buttons:
Easy install :

Thank you for the video link!!! I was needing that general how too! Yes! I have the switches on order! Just waiting for them to come in!

Nope just factory Paint. The thing was actually supper nasty I had someone detail the hell out of it! Then it has the typical Texas Sunburn clear coat problem. Its mainly on the front end. With a few small spots on the roof.

You can put an easy , or, lunchbox locker in the open rear diff. Aussie, powertrax

Otherwise, for true LSD you'll need a whole new carrier.

Thanks for the feed back but I will be going LSD in the future. I did a tone of home work on all of that. The LSD would be better for me & What I want to do.

42 axle code = 4.10 open rear diff
The mono leafs are okay they won’t break or anything they just sag tel badly and the back of the truck sits low. They are no good for carrying any weight or towing

Some new leafs from a 4 door or sport trac would work well under there to go without your new limited slip
So your rear axle is open and you want limited slip. Your rear end needs e brake parts and install and it has mono leafs. May I suggest you find a 4.10 limited slip axle from a low mile later model complete w leaf springs and just install the whole she bang. You can refresh the brakes before install…
Make life much easier. Then you can sell your rear axle to a Jeep dude for $250-400

42 axle code = 4.10 open rear diff
The mono leafs are okay they won’t break or anything they just sag tel badly and the back of the truck sits low. They are no good for carrying any weight or towing

Some new leafs from a 4 door or sport trac would work well under there to go without your new limited slip
So your rear axle is open and you want limited slip. Your rear end needs e brake parts and install and it has mono leafs. May I suggest you find a 4.10 limited slip axle from a low mile later model complete w leaf springs and just install the whole she bang. You can refresh the brakes before install…
Make life much easier. Then you can sell your rear axle to a Jeep dude for $250-400

Thanks for the feed back! I have no problem installing leaf springs & doing a lift. I did it on my last ruck & rebuilt the whole suspension. Can see my article below I wrote & typed out with a parts list. But I like the idea a lot tho. I do know these are prone to being rolled over easily. So, I need to dig more into how stiff I can really go before it becomes to bouncy so to speak lol. But on the flip side of that yeah. I though I could what tow or haul like max 500lbs? lol

Now, I have noticed you can smack a supper charger on this thing on make 3.5 psi of boost with no real upgrades. My question is how easy is it really to do this? Based on what I have found its all bolt on & the stock Transmission can just handle it for the most part.

Supper Charger Thread: My 98 super charged EX

Supper Charger Kit link: 97-01 Various 4.0L SOHCs Installation Kit - ModdBox

Link to Article: Tech Article : How to Lift a RWD Gen 2 Dodge Ramcharger...

Interesting!

20210425_100804 (1).jpg

Here is mine 9.5 lbs boost

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

View attachment 448136
Here is mine 9.5 lbs boost

Thats awesome! Im actually reading your post about it now! I just saw one for sale for $475. So i jumped on it since others are going around $800 currently. what do you think about it? how do you like it? how over all easy was it? hows it holding up?

Back