New Walker muffler

Explore10FL

'10 Silverback gorilla
Reaction score
City, State
Orange Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer XLT
Just another job done today that again improves the '97. I have been listening to the cheap muffler slowly get worse since I got the truck in Feb. So I ordered a Walker sound fx muffler (18564), as I wasn't going all in on a performance exhaust, yet. With a handful of couplers and clamps I was able to eventually get the muffler installed. Although I had some issues: twin inlets didn't match factory side, had to pull them apart about 3/4 inch; it wanted to sit low at first due to the angle of the coupler on the non flange side which I used a bottle jack to ease it up into place; and of course at first start it leaked like my wallet buying parts for this Explorer, but a few more cranks on the clamps cured that minor issue. Truck is super quite and seems slightly more powerful, slightly. First attempt at exhaust work myself and am very satisfied with the end result. After, pics coming tomorrow. Thanks for not falling asleep reading this.

20220713_201312.jpg 20220713_201350.jpg 20220713_201358.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just another job done today that again improves the '97. I have been listening to the cheap muffler slowly get worse since I got the truck in Feb. So I ordered a Walker sound fx muffler (18564), as I wasn't going all in on a performance exhaust, yet. With a handful of couplers and clamps I was able to eventually get the muffler installed. Although I had some issues: twin inlets didn't match factory side, had to pull them apart about 3/4 inch; it wanted to sit low at first due to the angle of the coupler on the non flange side which I used a bottle jack to ease it up into place; and of course at first start it leaked like my wallet buying parts for this Explorer, but a few more cranks on the clamps cured that minor issue. Truck is super quite and seems slightly more powerful, slightly. First attempt at exhaust work myself and am very satisfied with the end result. After, pics coming tomorrow. Thanks for not falling asleep reading this.

View attachment 432107 View attachment 432108 View attachment 432109
is it louder than stock? any clip?

is it louder than stock? any clip?
Nah, it's quiter actually. I will get a video clip posted today. I was thinking it would be louder given the name "sound fx" but i'm still content with it as is.

Good job!
Muffler installation is "exhausting" work.

I always use Walker, they're a local company here.

Trying to get video clip to load but won't play sound or is too big. I am happy with the results and the truck is almost too quite. I will work on the short sound clip. Thanks for your feedback.

Trying to get video clip to load but won't play sound or is too big. I am happy with the results and the truck is almost too quite. I will work on the short sound clip.

More pics, no sound yet. The old muffler was welded in...

20220726_212613.jpg 20220726_212252.jpg 20220726_212310.jpg 20220726_212340.jpg 20220726_212321.jpg 20220726_212015.jpg

Nice. I run their quiet stainless…can’t remember what it’s called. They usually last me about 5 years before the welds rot out.

I had a louder exhaust on my SOHC for a while before I went to this muffler. I’ll never go back. The drone on the highway was terrible…

Nice. I run their quiet stainless…can’t remember what it’s called. They usually last me about 5 years before the welds rot out.

I had a louder exhaust on my SOHC for a while before I went to this muffler. I’ll never go back. The drone on the highway was terrible…
It was between that and this one, saved a lil with this one. 1st time doing any exhaust work so i didn't want to waste a good expensive piece. The sohc just don't sound the best un-muffled. Lookin to get 5ish years from this one, we'll see. Looks like I already need to spray some rust inhibitor.

Maybe I’ll go that route. My factory system is started to get a little loud.

It’s good. The weak link is the aluminized tailpipe. They suck. Make one out of stainless, or paint it in BBQ paint. That’s what I did with this one and it’s holding up better this time around

Back