• Register Today It's free!

Newly purchased 01 V8

TechGuy82

Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I just picked up this 2001 V8 AWD explorer with 180k miles for my son's first car. It needs some TLC, already ordered tie rods, KYB shocks, brakes, and various door handles. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions along the way. Paint is in surprisingly good shape, drive shaft is intact, although I can't say for certain the AWD actually works.
1000004977.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perfect first car!!!!

The awd is full time all the time it is a wet viscous clutch in the t case. Basically it is a 70/30 split w most of the power directed to the rear axle. If the front d shaft is in place then the awd is probably working. Front tires will wear 3x as fast as the rears so rotate often. Good idea to drain the t case
Fluid and replace with dextron/Mercon iii or ford t case fluid (expensive Mercon)!

Perfect first car!!!!

The awd is full time all the time it is a wet viscous clutch in the t case. Basically it is a 70/30 split w most of the power directed to the rear axle. If the front d shaft is in place then the awd is probably working. Front tires will wear 3x as fast as the rears so rotate often. Good idea to drain the t case
Fluid and replace with dextron/Mercon iii or ford t case fluid (expensive Mercon)!

I learned to drive in parents '94 explorer back in the day haha. My son has been having a hard time learning on my '22 Tremor so this seems to be much more manageable.

I'm gonna test the AWD first and if it works I'll take your advice on changing the fluid. Thanks!

Perfect first car!!!!

You happen to have a link to the correct fluid for the AWD t-case? It's confusing trying to find the correct one. Thanks!

Mercon/dexron is correct
Or
Ford transfer case fluid (which is just expensive Mercon)

You can use Mercon v but I do not it is too expensive

Today I programmed my 2 new key fobs, pretty easy! I also replaced the front shocks with KYB's and replaced the headlights (pita). The shocks didn't make too much difference yet... it needs way more front end work. Looks like bad lower ball joints at a minimum. It rides REALLY rough, like Flintstones mobile haha. Any recs on suspension components? Upper control arms with all new bushings and ball joints? Lower control arm ball joints are a must at this point, but should I replace the lower control arms in total? I have new tie rods yet to be replaced, I doubt those would be causing the rough ride... when off the ground I can grab each tire on the sides and there is quite a a bit of play, but nothing if I attempt move tire when holding top and bottom positions. Thanks!

Okay at 3 and 9 o clock points to tie rods
No play at 12 and 6 points towards the ball joints holding
The ball joints looseness can be checked with a pry bar under the tire while you watch with your eyes

Wheel bearings will make a growling noise going down the road that changes when you add a side load (move the wheel left to right)
Wheel bearing looseness again can be checked w a pry bar right under the tire. Basically with the tire 2” off the ground put your pry bar right under it and lift up. Any looseness in ball joints or tie rods will show itself

Upper control arms and ball joints are replaced together the factory bj do not come out. Good time to install alignment correction shims and bolts especially if you convert the passenger side from a two piece to one piece.

The lower ball joints are pressed out of the lower control arm, pretty simple with a ball pine hammer or sledge, super the uca with jack stand and smack the bj directly in the middle… they fall right out. Press the new one in

okay, I jacked each front tire independently and used my pry bar under the tire... holy crap, the lower ball joints are toast!! there has to be 1/2" play on both of them. Now I know where my suspension noise is coming from. I'm wondering if I should replace the entire LCA or just the ball joint.

Lower ball joints and upper control arms ordered.

Now I noticed a coolant leak... Looks to be from the waterpump. More fun haha!

Could be, check timing cover also. Look for pooled coolant near cam sensor area, to right and left

sucker for moog here. the problem solver i believe has the grease fitting (much better) the moog seems to last a while for rubbers, not as long as a poly bushing, but for a rubber quite long.

sucker for moog here. the problem solver i believe has the grease fitting (much better) the moog seems to last a while for rubbers, not as long as a poly bushing, but for a rubber quite long.
I bought all Moog parts, the higher end ones.

These are the lower ball joints I’ve been using for a few years now
Very tough

Dorman hd, only one listed as heavy duty (at the bottom) made in Canada

$18 ea

Could be, check timing cover also. Look for pooled coolant near cam sensor area, to right and left
Oh that does not sound fun... I'll check that out. I stopped and grabbed a pressure test kit so hopefully it can help me pin point the issue.

Replaced driver's side uca, lower ball joint, brake rotor, and new pads. Not enough time to do inner and outter tie rods... tomorrow I'll work on passenger side.

1000005000.jpg

Finished the passenger side uca, brakes, and lower ball joint yesterday. Explorer rides much better than before, although I haven't gotten alignment done yet. I had my kid drive to the ski shop to drop his boots today, he promptly jumped the curb and ran over the parking sign for the ski shop :face palm: but that is part of learning to drive. Explorer has paid for itself as far as I'm concerned, if he did that in my truck I would be majorly pissed haha! Another mark on the 23 year old explorer and no one was hurt, and the business shrugged it off haha.

He was a bit shook up so I drove back, taking the highway which was the first time... It got up to 80 mph no problem and cruised nicely. No issues with highway speeds. Too bad A/C doesn't seem to work, but the sunroof reminded me of my previous cars I've had ( '90 VW Corrado, 2003 BMW 325i, and 2012 Nissan frontier).

I had my kid drive to the ski shop to drop his boots today, he promptly jumped the curb and ran over the parking sign for the ski shop :face palm: but that is part of learning to drive.
Ouch. How old is your kid? One thing that seems to help is getting used to all the controls in some field first (so theres nothing to hit) but if hes been learning for a bit it may just be part of the learning curve.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ouch. How old is your kid? One thing that seems to help is getting used to all the controls in some field first (so theres nothing to hit) but if hes been learning for a bit it may just be part of the learning curve.
He's 16, he has about 15 hours of driving under his belt so far. I think it was just nerves

Back