P1700 Code = Transmission Indeterminate Failure (Failed to Neutral) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P1700 Code = Transmission Indeterminate Failure (Failed to Neutral)

shanonaz

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I am sure this has been asked previously, but I cannot find anyone asking for the 2nd generation Explorers. I have a P1700 Code = Transmission Indeterminate Failure (Failed to Neutral)? I have a 1998 Limited 5.0 AWD with a 4R70W auto trans. It only has 81K miles on it, and before I go down the rabbit hole of replacing 4 to 6 parts with no positive outcome, has anyone remedied this issue with just a trans flush? Any other suggestions would be great here. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it actually failed to neutral? What are the actual symptoms?

If it’s stuck in neutral, a flush is not going to fix your problem. As a matter of fact, flushing/changing fluids in a trans never fixes anything, with few exceptions.

I really do not have any symptoms or other codes at this time. Runs and drives great. Shifts like a new truck. I just get a P1700 code in a matter of 30 to 60 seconds after shifting into drive. Not every time, just every 2nd or 3rd time/drive. I just reset the code each time and wait till the next time.

I am sure this has been asked previously, but I cannot find anyone asking for the 2nd generation Explorers. I have a P1700 Code = Transmission Indeterminate Failure (Failed to Neutral)? I have a 1998 Limited 5.0 AWD with a 4R70W auto trans. It only has 81K miles on it, and before I go down the rabbit hole of replacing 4 to 6 parts with no positive outcome, has anyone remedied this issue with just a trans flush? Any other suggestions would be great here. Thanks in advance.
Don't ever flush a trannie especially if it's healthy? I would check the neutral safety switch that's what it sounds like to me.

Don't ever flush a trannie especially if it's healthy? I would check the neutral safety switch that's what it sounds like to me.
That sound like a good idea. I will check all the connections first.

Okay.

Has the transmission been serviced at all? If not, now is the time to do it. 81k is still plenty young enough to do a fluid change and not have to worry about any repercussions. Just a normal change, no need to flush. I do my changes every 30k, and I’d recommend you get on a schedule of no more than every 50k. Clean fluid is happy fluid.

If it were me, I’d give the trans a good once over when I do that. Drop the pan, change the filter and clean the magnet. Install a pan drain plug or an entirely new pan with a drain to make fluid changes easier. Check torque on the valve body bolts (with a torque wrench).

I’d disconnect, clean, and dielectric grease the transmission connectors before reconnecting. Check the cooling lines for kinks, and make sure your aux cooler (if installed) is free of debris. After draining the fluid, disconnect the hoses from the hard lines and blow through the aux cooler to make sure it isn’t obstructed. Make sure the fins are clean and not bent.

Transmission longevity all comes down to three things: cool fluid, clean fluid, and reasonable driving. Heavy towing and/or driving like an asshole is going to wear it out faster, no one can argue that

Okay.

Has the transmission been serviced at all? If not, now is the time to do it. 81k is still plenty young enough to do a fluid change and not have to worry about any repercussions. Just a normal change, no need to flush. I do my changes every 30k, and I’d recommend you get on a schedule of no more than every 50k. Clean fluid is happy fluid.

If it were me, I’d give the trans a good once over when I do that. Drop the pan, change the filter and clean the magnet. Install a pan drain plug or an entirely new pan with a drain to make fluid changes easier. Check torque on the valve body bolts (with a torque wrench).

I’d disconnect, clean, and dielectric grease the transmission connectors before reconnecting. Check the cooling lines for kinks, and make sure your aux cooler (if installed) is free of debris. After draining the fluid, disconnect the hoses from the hard lines and blow through the aux cooler to make sure it isn’t obstructed. Make sure the fins are clean and not bent.

Transmission longevity all comes down to three things: cool fluid, clean fluid, and reasonable driving. Heavy towing and/or driving like an asshole is going to wear it out faster, no one can argue that
Perfect. I will do all of these things you just mentioned. I will need to investigate the torque on the valve body specs, but the rest is in my wheel house. Thank you so much.

It’s just something that’s good to check while you have the pan down. Some transmissions are known to blow out gaskets when those things loosen up a little. If they loosen, pressurized fluid can move into adjacent circuits and cause weirdness.

Back