Rear Suspension Toe Link Recall | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Suspension Toe Link Recall

If it is a recall that affects your Explorer, you should get a notice in the mail.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, I took mine in and had the prior recall checked out before. Not positive what they did, might've replaced, might've not, but I've since re-done every single suspension component in the rear end except the toe links. When I looked at them, they looked like the ones in this video here, the newer ones. What does this mean for me? Will I get the recall notice? Will they not do anything because mine looks like the newer ones? Do we all have to just wait to find out?
Wait til you get the facts ie the recall. Check your paperwork from the visit.

The fix: dealers will complete a torque inspection of the cross-axis ball joint and replace it as necessary.

Owners should: wait for recall notice to arrive by mail, and contact their local Ford dealer with any questions.

Peter

Merry Christmas from Ford

I just got this in the mail today:

Safety Recall Notice 20S62/NHTSA Recall 20V-675 dated November 2020

they need to inspect the previous recall repair work because the parts they may have used are subject to corrosion.

the reason this has me a little pissed off is that the original recall work and the current work should be a half a days work.

I know that it is not Ford Co.'s fault, but when I had the original recall done they had my Explorer for about a half of week.

I don't know if this is really what happened, but I was told that their frame alignment equipment was overbooked. each day they called to say it wouldn't be ready for pickup, they kept assuring me that my Explorer would be worked on first thing the next day.

I just got this letter today as well.
It's a new recall that involves the toe link, but it's not replacing the toe link this time.

I interpret that it's not the toe link itself, but that one of the ends of the toe links attach to a ball joint.
The repair is to replace the rear wheel knuckle(s).
No mention of replacing the toe link.

As for the time to repair, i guess your at the mercy of the dealer. Any chance you have another dealer that you can go to?

It's a new recall that involves the toe link, but it's not replacing the toe link this time.

I interpret that it's not the toe link itself, but that one of the ends of the toe links attach to a ball joint.

As for the time to repair, i guess your at the mercy of the dealer. Any chance you have another dealer that you can go to?
Sunufabitch, You're right! The "fix" would be to replace the whole knuckle as the bushings wheel-side are in the knuckle. I just redid my rear suspension totally and replaced both knuckles because the bushings were all worn, bearings were going and were seized in there. They were $400-500 total. Fawk. Although, they may not have replaced them if they weren't bad enough by spec, but still, damn, may have missed out on free wheel knuckles.

Sunufabitch, You're right! The "fix" would be to replace the whole knuckle as the bushings wheel-side are in the knuckle. I just redid my rear suspension totally and replaced both knuckles because the bushings were all worn, bearings were going and were seized in there. They were $400-500 total. Fawk. Although, they may not have replaced them if they weren't bad enough by spec, but still, damn, may have missed out on free wheel knuckles.
my reading of the letter is that they will do the work only if there was signs of corrosion. one of my thoughts was with the travel limits of the past year who is to say the corrosion wouldn't develop later. will that mandate periodic inspections it you have the problematic parts?

I say just get the Steeda ones and be done with it....
IMO, on any safety related recall, better to go ahead and get the work done so it doesn't show as outstanding on the VIN... though I'm not in a rush, have tried to limit its exposure to the worse of winter/corrosive conditions, being more concerned about the unibody frame, suspension mount rust more than anything else I can DIY bolt-on replace.

FYI here is a scan of the letter I just received.

Recall 20S62 aka 20V-675.png

Steed makes an aftermarket wheel knuckle?
Recall is not for the knuckle....it's for the toe link

Edit: I stand corrected...just looked up the TSB and saw the listing for possible replacement of the CABJ (which does sit in the rear wheel knuckle) if found to be required.

IMO, on any safety related recall, better to go ahead and get the work done so it doesn't show as outstanding on the VIN... though I'm not in a rush, have tried to limit its exposure to the worse of winter/corrosive conditions, being more concerned about the unibody frame, suspension mount rust more than anything else I can DIY bolt-on replace.

FYI here is a scan of the letter I just received.

View attachment 325143
No thanks...I'm more confident in my own ability to do the work as well as the quality of the aftermarket part. They are doing a recall for a recall for goodness sake... lmao. And who cares what is "outstanding" on the VIN, I own the car.

Edit: Just inspected the CABJ and the wheel knuckle myself for corrosion, proper operation and range of motion. Everything looks solid and in good condition. Torqued to spec and all is well...will continue to monitor.

No thanks...I'm more confident in my own ability to do the work as well as the quality of the aftermarket part. They are doing a recall for a recall for goodness sake... lmao. And who cares what is "outstanding" on the VIN, I own the car.

Suit yourself but you seem to have overlooked Odrapnew's post that this recall is about the connected ball joint not the arm itself, which Steeda does not offer, and that you may not have access to, to DIY, for quite a while if all current production of the redesigned part is being sent to dealers for the recall work. There may be other 3rd party suppliers of this BJ, but it is not so clear to me that the quality would be any better and in some cases, worse as this is not the type of BJ where off-road enthusiasts are getting oversized parts like for their front control arms (on other vehicles) is it?

Besides you are overlooking something else. It is no more work or expense on your part to have the recall done and come back later to DIY, "supposed" upgrade it (if anyone else had the new/improved part yet), and have the new recall-replaced part you took off, available to use later if your aftermarket part ends up failing later... even if it is 20 years later, instead of having an old part taken off after 6+ years of wear.

Only issue I see is how long the vehicle is laid up at the shop waiting for them to get to it, except that most of us probably aren't in dire need of this replaced at all, just those driving in highly corrosive environments.

Recall is not for the knuckle....it's for the toe link

Edit: I stand corrected...just looked up the TSB and saw the listing for possible replacement of the CABJ (which does sit in the rear wheel knuckle) if found to be required.
😉

Yeah, a little confusing since this thread is for the toe link. I had to read the latest recall twice to understand what it really said.

Suit yourself but you seem to have overlooked Odrapnew's post that this recall is about the connected ball joint not the arm itself, which Steeda does not offer, and that you may not have access to, to DIY, for quite a while if all current production of the redesigned part is being sent to dealers for the recall work. There may be other 3rd party suppliers of this BJ, but it is not so clear to me that the quality would be any better and in some cases, worse as this is not the type of BJ where off-road enthusiasts are getting oversized parts like for their front control arms (on other vehicles) is it?

Besides you are overlooking something else. It is no more work or expense on your part to have the recall done and come back later to DIY, "supposed" upgrade it (if anyone else had the new/improved part yet), and have the new recall-replaced part you took off, available to use later if your aftermarket part ends up failing later... even if it is 20 years later, instead of having an old part taken off after 6+ years of wear.

Only issue I see is how long the vehicle is laid up at the shop waiting for them to get to it, except that most of us probably aren't in dire need of this replaced at all, just those driving in highly corrosive environments.
Heh heh, you said "BJ".....giggity...

there are but only one is close enough to have pickup and drop off service. the others would require a rental car or hours of public transportation which is problematic in the current environment. I guess I will have to check and see if they are still doing pickup and drop off.

I get that the recall is for the ball joint now. I was confused by Ford's reference to the previous recall.

so does that seem to suggest that the toe link was not a problem at all, but it was corroded ball joints that caused the toe links to fail?

^ If the BJ seizes it's bound to contribute, but the link should've been strong enough that a seized BJ, which some consider a wear item anyway, doesn't break it.

there are but only one is close enough to have pickup and drop off service. the others would require a rental car or hours of public transportation which is problematic in the current environment. I guess I will have to check and see if they are still doing pickup and drop off.

I get that the recall is for the ball joint now. I was confused by Ford's reference to the previous recall.

so does that seem to suggest that the toe link was not a problem at all, but it was corroded ball joints that caused the toe links to fail?

I guess it depends on the load applied to the toe link with a seized ball joint.

^ If the BJ seizes it's bound to contribute, but the link should've been strong enough that a seized BJ, which some consider a wear item anyway, doesn't break it.

If the joint is seized, I could see it putting a large, unexpected load on the toe link causing the failure.
BJ being a wear item would typically loosen up as it wears, not lock up. Not saying that it doesn't happen, just based on my experience ball joints usually get 'sloppy' (and don't get cute with that). :)

^ Yeah, it seems likely that a vehicle would have to sit unused for a long time for the corrosion to build up to where the force to break the BJ free, exceeded the force the link could handle, but the link should be strong enough that it just isn't possible for a BJ to get corroded enough to break it. Rust is only stronger than metal when the metal has insufficient strength and/or quantity. They designed these parts to work together and have now conceded it's a problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, both the inner toe link welds and now the knuckle BJs have been identified as failure points at different times and made different recalls. fordtecmakeuloco had a YouTube video explaining the toe link recall quite well. The round metal tube surrounding the rubber bushing on the inside of the lateral arm was welded to the adjusable rod portion very poorly. The new ones look very different and almost look cast as an integrated part (rod and tube).

Back