Should I give up? Darkest hour. (scam-y used parts dealers) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lazerskull

Reaction score
City, State
Loomis, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, Explorer, XLT
I've had this Explorer for about 6 years or so?
I got it for 900 bucks.
It's been a fun little project. I fixed a lot of things with it.
I gave it add a leaf and shackles. I even put a new headliner in
with a custom suede and I put insulation above the headliner so
it rides quiet. Stays cooler in the summer.

It's a nice damn truck!
It is an XLT with the tow package.
I've pulled all kinds of things with it. I even worked for a bounce
house rental company one summer, and I'd pull a pretty big trailer
with anywhere from 4-6 of those bounce houses and pumps in
the trailer. And it handled it all fine!

My dog loves it in there because I got the back fenced off so that's
his room. When I block out the windows he is all private and
it stays cool. He just plays with his toys and sleeps back there
in the event I have to leave him in there a few hours.

Right now it has a recently rebuilt engine by an amazing mechanic
in the area. It runs great.
The transmission was also rebuilt by another awesome shop,
which is where it is now.

This is the story:

Recently the transfer case blew up.
I looked around all the Pick and Pulls and I found a couple
but they looked thrashed.

So I tried a place
They charged me 830 bucks said the part would be delivered
in 5-7 days. After 12 days I called and the part never left
their "shop" (if one even exists). They said "it wasn't working
right and didn't want to send me a bad part." The guy said
"but I can promise you I'll send one out today." I said, "how
are you going to find one in one day?" And this Indian
gentleman who was always so nice suddenly BLEW UP
and started accosting me. I said just give me my refund.
So he said he would and I got an email to the effect.
But it all seems scamm-y now to me.

A part of the gullible me wants to believe the refund will post
in a day or so. Keep this company on your radar, avoid!

Their website:

Lists their address as:
xxxx elk grove ca etc

I looked it up and it's a big office suite. I called some of the tenants
there, NONE of them have heard of "Premium Used Auto Parts."

Well now my Explorer is just sitting at the transmission shop. It's been
there over a month and I feel real bad about it.

I guess I gotta get it towed back to my house. At this point though,
I wouldn't mind if it somehow got hit by a nuclear bomb and I never
saw it again.

This is my question. Should I give up? Would anyone buy an Explorer
without a transfer case? I want to make up some of the money I've
lost on this thing.

I'm so freaking pissed off right now I don't even know how to feel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you pay with a credit card?

What’d your bank say?

What’d your bank say?
they said they should have seen a pending transaction for a refund by now. i'll give it a few days then i am closing / changing the card number i used. i don't want to cancel the card too soon in case it complicates the refund. but in the meantime i'm keeping no money in the account so there is nothing for them to steal should they decide to try to.

Yeah, I believe that you got scammed. The address is owned by an address rental company.

Yeah, there will be no refunds, unfortunately.

You could send them a grabify.com link to try and get their approximate location, but it’s almost surely out of the country.

Yeah, there will be no refunds, unfortunately.

You could send them a grabify.com link to try and get their approximate location, but it’s almost surely out of the country.
the guy is a pretty horrible scam artist if he is one. on my bank statement it has his home address not more than 10 minutes from where i live.

a quick google search of that property revealed the realtor who sold the house last year.

here's the kicker.

this realtor's office address is IN THE SAME BUILDING as the listed address for "Premium Used Auto Parts."

they're obviously connected and he's probably the ringleader.

they're either just really horrible business people trying to run a side hustle slinging junk parts, really stupid criminals, or both.

after disputing the charge with my bank, and seeing how they do, and if there's no refund, i'll be having the police knock on his door.

I’d go have a little talk with him myself. Looks like you could squeeze a refund out of him in gravy.

I’d go have a little talk with him myself. Looks like you could squeeze a refund out of him in gravy.
you don't know how tempting it is. not to get gravy good lord but something else. my father in heaven is watching me though and advising me not to.

That's the type of dude you report for tax evasion. Chances are if he is screwing everyone he can he's probably cheating uncle Sam too

If you pay him a visit, make sure you’re strapped.

I’d sooner file a report with the police. Not sure what is considered grand larceny in your state.

I’d also report this scam to the state attorney general. They go the **** AFTER **** like this.

I'm glad you were able to find the scammer. I hope the cops can put an end to it.

That's the type of dude you report for tax evasion. Chances are if he is screwing everyone he can he's probably cheating uncle Sam too
You can even get a cut now.

the guy is a pretty horrible scam artist if he is one. on my bank statement it has his home address not more than 10 minutes from where i live.

a quick google search of that property revealed the realtor who sold the house last year.

here's the kicker.

this realtor's office address is IN THE SAME BUILDING as the listed address for "Premium Used Auto Parts."

they're obviously connected and he's probably the ringleader.

they're either just really horrible business people trying to run a side hustle slinging junk parts, really stupid criminals, or both.

when i saw his photo, gut feeling told me:

dude's scum.

after disputing the charge with my bank, and seeing how they do, and if there's no refund, i'll be having the police knock on his door.
This seems like a one in a billion chance, that he's so close. Did you get the address before or after you sought a refund? I am wondering if this scammer just picked some local victim to blame it on. I could be wrong, but this is HIGHLY unuisual for a scammer to not make it right for someone right in their back yard which he should recognize from your address? They usually want plenty of distance.

This seems like a one in a billion chance, that he's so close. Did you get the address before or after you sought a refund? I am wondering if this scammer just picked some local victim to blame it on. I could be wrong, but this is HIGHLY unsual for a scammer to not make it right for someone right in their back yard which he should recognize from your address? They usually want plenty of distance.
Usually they'd want distance for sure, but theres always a chance, people slip up here and there, especially if they're new to whatever. Really hopeful that a refund goes through, or the cops can work it out, really hopeful, that's too much to lose over that bullcrap. Wish ya luck Lazer, hope ya can make the guy pay and keep him from doing this to anyone else

And if you need help digging a hole, we got ya

Jk lol of course, FBI

So you still need a 1354e transfer case? There are lots of these out there from reputable wreckers
You can easily find them on eBay or visit a local junk yard. You can also have yours rebuilt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the refund. My sister helped me out. No netflix specials this year. Quick question b4 I delete this thread.

Can an explorer be towed with no transfer case in it? Yes I do need a TCase bad but my rigs been at this guys shop for a month I feel bad dont want any more fiascos.
I did check all the PnP around here the exact models I could find that match none looked good had all leaks out the bottom.

Back