• Register Today It's free!

Spark plug issue.

jpolis

Reaction score
City, State
Bflo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4X4
I have a 2001 4X4 Ford Explorer Sport w/ 4.0 V6 SOHC engine. I recently saw a posting regarding replacement spark plugs for this motor. I can't find that discussion but i remember it had info about incorrect plugs being used and missing and not to go to Autozone because of the wrong part and also had info as to correct part #'s to use. I bought NGK TR55. I replaced 4 plugs and 5 wires (due to darkness/snow...lmao) and the vehicle now misses. Are these some of the "wrong plugs" or, simply wait and finish the job, or reset the computer by disconnecting the battery, or any other suggestions? All plugs/wires have been double checked and the vehicle ran fine prior (with original plugs/wires 94K mi.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I removed/replaced them one at a time. I noticed the miss is only when parked and reving up the engine, otherwise all is fine.

Did you check the gap on the new plugs? Don't ever trust that they are 'pre gapped'.

Gap was .054 (double checked)...turns out it was a deffective wire. Not sure why it only showed while reving the engine in park. Thanks to all for the assistance!
Now I'll be trying the K&N air system, SLR superchip, Monroe Reflex shocks, WAAG brush guard, and then the Nerf Bars. (Maybe a small lift.) Any additional suggestions?
The wife wants to know when it will end. This truck was bought for her after her new truck was recently totalled by some dumb %#@^ running a stop sign. It has now become my toy...LOL!

Back