Transmission / Transfer Case problems - HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission / Transfer Case problems - HELP!

Chris Saunders

Reaction score
City, State
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 UN Explorer Auto XLT
Hi,

Thought I would pose the question that probably hundreds have before me.

'97 (Series One) UN XLT Auto Explorer. 235,000kms (engine replaced at 201,000kms).

When driving up hill (under load), vehicle drives okay. When decelerating downhill, something releases the drive and creates a god-awful racket like a very fast mechanical spinning noise. Drive is restored by accelerating again, or putting it into 'N' and back into 'D' again. Also, it sometimes does it at a standstill when shifting from 'P' into 'D' or 'R'.

Have been having issues with vehicle for some time. Some problems so far:

Movement in output shaft from rear of 4405 TC;
Blinking O/D light that, when flashing and performing a U-turn, feels as if the vehicle is in 4WD; and
Extremely clunky shifting.

I thought it was the TC shift motor, but a brand new one made absolutely no difference.

If anybody can shed some light on this issue for me, that would be great. I have one mechanic saying something about a torque converter; another saying that it must be the TC and I need a new one; and another says that the clutch in the transmission is buggered.

PLEASE HELP... :(

Many thanks.

You need to get your codes read by a scan tool. It could be a number of different things going on. Could be mechanical (t-case), or electrical (GEM-4x4 module), if your O/D light is flashing, you should get a code stored.

Back