Troubles replacing ignition switch keyway | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Troubles replacing ignition switch keyway

byako

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Mazda B3000
I'm in the process of replacing my ignition switch.
Here's the backstory for my question/dilemma.:roll:
First of all, the switch (the keyed part) broke and would not accept the key and subsequently would not start. In the end I had to drill out the keyway to remove it. I discovered the little tailpiece that engages gearing mechanism inside the column broke off. It was sideways behind the slotted keyway/gear retainer. There is a green plastic cap that goes in front of this. I had to remove the cap and then rotate out the retaining keyway/retainer piece. The pieces fell out before I could note proper orientation and location. I thought I had them back in the correct positions as I was able to put the new lock cylinder in place, but it would not rotate far enough forward to start the engine, nor would it release the key.
I do not see any other way for these parts to go together.
Does anyone have any diagrams or pictures of the correct way these need to be assembled?
I have included pictures for reference, as I am not sure my terminology is sufficient. The pictures are of the three peices in question, each picture in order, showing the gear, retaining clip, and cap inserted as best as I can tell.
Thanks for your help in advance.
ignitionparts.jpg

Gear, retaining clip, cap. Note the internal slot with upper notches and the 90 degree tab.
View attachment 258355
The column, minus the key and the gear and parts. (oops, pic turned 90 degrees)
View attachment 258356
Gear inserted, note the internal slot notches pointing up, also note the angle.
ignitionpartsC.jpg

Retaining clip. It has to be placed in horizontal, then rotated. I rotated it 90 degrees CCW. The notches are up as well, matching the gear. There is a little 90 degree tab; this is facing inward, and is at the top of the clip, upper right. (see the little dimple?)
ignitionpartsD.jpg

The way the clip fits in is obvious.

if i can remember, i will go to a parts truck i have this weekend if i have time, and take a pic of the ignition. i have the cylinder out already. pm me a few times and literally bug me about it so i dont forget.

Turns out I had it correct. Guess I gave up too soon yesterday. I just needed to play with it for about ten more minutes. I had the gear one tooth off.

Looks like we have a reference in this regards now.

Back