What did you do to your Ex/Mounty/RBV today? | Page 60 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your Ex/Mounty/RBV today?

0QILS2P.jpg

I finally conquered my body roll issue with a beefy 2003 Explorer sway bar.
Full thread here Dual front sway bar

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Installed new 4.10 front diff. Tomorrow I get the rear done

Following the catalytic converter replacement that I previously mentioned, I discovered the tailpipe was loose and banging around - particularly when shifted into reverse. I took it back in to the shop and they've adjusted that.

But over the weekend I also started noticing a low rumbling noise from the front driver side wheel. Suspect the wheel bearing...while the shop had it, they found it to be the wheel bearing. So now I've got 2 of the 4 bearings changed out on this one. Hope the other 2 last a good bit longer.

Felt a shake in the rear today while driving home today.
Got home and climbed under to have a peek at the tires. Yup. Suspicion confirmed.
Separated tire.
Pulled off both rear tires and tossed them into the Mustang.
Will buy, mount, balance 2 tires tomorrow at work.

ufAQTRe.png

uMRAaz1.png

Got under my 'clay infested' V8 to start pulling bolts for my BW4406 swap....I need to get the pressure washer our again.

The more I'm under it, the more I want to clean up. Ugh! I hate dirty undercarriages.

Got home from a 800 mile round trip vacation.
Vegas to Cali.
No problems. Up to 175K miles now.
Did a day trip up to Palomar Mtn so my MIL could see the Hale telescope at the Palomar Observatory.
Spent some time with our two Labs at dog beach in Del Mar. They love running off leash in the water.

Think the Mountaineer may have been overdue for a coolant flush.

cmNzKR2.jpg

cA8RRaW.jpg

Pumped 24 gallons of clean water through the system, and filled with Motorcraft Premium Coolant 50/50. It's still not clean though.

My reaction-

Well, the last time I dealt with the X was a few weeks ago. Had a 724 mile trip to Reno - as I'm moving to that area (next phases of the move are next week). No issues except patching the tailpipe back on before leaving. Will probably need to fix that before I smog it - already priced it out and am ready to move on that one. Did find an oil leak I did not know I had after it sat at my friend's house a few weeks - kind of helps I'm not parking it in a apartment parking lot full of 10-20 year newer vehicles that leak more oil than it does.

The whole trip I was getting amazing gas mileage out of it - between 21-23 mpg which for 300K is really good. Especially considering the oil needs changed soon.

Wife is discussing getting me a new truck once we are all moved and our new jobs kick in. But I'm wanting to hold off until we get a house for more than a handful of reasons, all but three of which make logical and financial sense.

Finished a week long project.

I welded 2 Tcase skid plates together and welded 2 gas tank skid plates together and mounted them under the truck. Nothing is getting through these things!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

qiSfblT.jpg

Wanted to give a shout out to @GreenLimited98 for the good deal on this Explorer Express sway bar.

At least 300% improvement in handling over stock!

Pleasure doing business with you Kyle!
:chug:

Back