Window tint & instument panel lite replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window tint & instument panel lite replacement

jimiday

Reaction score
I would like to tint my front windows to match the existing factory tint on the rear. It's a mirrored bronze color. Anybody have any advice on where to have that done and how to match it?

Does anyone know how difficult it is to replace an instrument panel light? The bulb at the top of my speedometer is out. Thanks

------------------
1996 Explorer Sport 4x4
4.0L OHV w/auto & 4.10's
K&N w/drilled box, Bosch P+4's, Borla Cat-Back

jimiday@aol.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem with the tint. I picked up a roll of silver mirrored tint at Auto Zone and put it on myself. You will notice, however, that the tint won't have the bronze color when you look out of the windows from the inside. You will also notice this from the outside when the sun shines through them. From a short distance away though, they look like they match perfectly otherwise. Hopefully this helps.

Hey my tint on the front windows and the rear window is stating to crack a little and peels, is it hard to take this stuff off and put some new tint on? Thanks

I believe the tint is called solar tint, but I could be wrong. Anyway I think the tint is a type of glaze for the window, and I don't believe you can just go out and buy some to match.

------------------
Jim Ferrarini
Skaman0182@yahoo.com
96 Sport 5-speed
Borla cat-back exhaust
modified airbox
K&N filter
+4 plugs
8.5mm wires
other small mods.

jimmiday,

The instrument panel lights are a pain to replace. Basically, if you have big hands like me it is nearly impossible to get to them from behind. SO you have to pull the gauge cluster out. The bulbs are kind of a odd setup too. If anyone else has any suggestions, let us know.

As for the tint. It is hard to match the factory tint because the glass is actually smoked. It may be eaiser to find a set of rear windows without tint and swap them with yours. That way, all of the windows will be the same.

------------------
Brett Grooms
94 Explorer Sport

I was considering the tint question when I first got my explorer, b/c I like to tint all of my vehicles. The tint I ended up with is called Llumar, and I think thier website is www.llumar.com

I don't have any pix handy, but I think it matches pretty well. Tinting is an art, and not a lot of people are very good at it, and the 'metallic' type tints are not forgiving at all.

As far as removing old tint, I find that plain old water, and fine steel wool works wonders. just spray water on the window, (after you peel the old tint off), and scrubb your ass off; use lots of paper towels!

The secret to application is a spray bottle of clean water, and a little baby shampoo. Don't be shy with the fluid, use a lot of it. Then keep those windows rolled up for a good long time. The metallic takes a lot longer to dry than standard tint; I think I waited 6 weeks to roll my windows down this time.

I HATE bad tint jobs, so I was willing to not roll the windows down to help ensure that they would be perfect.

Hope that helped,

T

------------------
93 Sport 4X4, 150k Mi, Llumar Metallic Tinted Windows, GTS Taillight Covers, Sony CD and Boston Acoustics drivers
Bosch +4's. Modified Airbox, Allied 8.5mm wires (Splitfire wires on order)

Just a few tips after my years of tinting experience (and loss of nerves). You can speed the drying by using a hair dryer, but if you get it too hot, the corners will try to roll up. I like to use clear fingernail polish (not mine) to seal around the outer edges. Make sure to squeegee it out very good first. After applying the polish, wait about 10 minutes and it is set and you can roll the windows down without a problem.

Notice: Do not use Windex after tinting windows...the ammonia will bleach it out over a period of time.

BTW, most of the newer tint is easily removed by peeling it off and you can remove the adhesive with soap and water. On the older style, the adhesive was tougher. You could use acetone on it and it would dissolve the glue.

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4

I used to be schizophrenic, but we're OK now...No we aren't...Yes we are... shut up.

I have the same tint on my front windows that 93EddieBauer's has and it does match very good. The factory is a 35% bronze w/10% mirror. The tint we used is a 35% gray w/10% mirror and it is made by Gila.

------------------
Lance Humphreys
1993 Eddie Bauer
Front Dana 44 solid axle swap
8" lift

TNexplorer,
where did you get it from?

------------------
'93 explorer sport 4x4

Is there any way to get the "factory tint" off of a '93 because when regular black tint is put on it, from the outside it looks too mirror like and I was wanting the blacked out look. When the front windows are tinted too, the front and the back tint look totally different b/c the front doesn't have the factory tint. The rear window has two places that have pealed but it doesn't seem that I can peel the rest off!

I got the tint at Autozone. Advanced Auto parts has it also.

------------------
Lance Humphreys
1993 Eddie Bauer
Front Dana 44 solid axle swap
8" lift

Back