Help with timing chain parts for v6 SOHC 4.0L | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with timing chain parts for v6 SOHC 4.0L

I'm sure I can handle the manual tensioner install. Seems straightforward.

That was a pricey unit back when you first did this, but even at that I would have paid that much knowing this may likely prevent this from occurring again. I have so many projects that need my attention, so making this a one time job is my goal.

Their pricing has come down considerably since you purchased this from them 10 years ago. I can now buy 2 of them for about $250 from sparks racing.

I’ve always preferred to seek out any better quality parts and name brand products, even if it cost a bit more. I do this with almost all my power tools. And have went overboard on several occasions with no regrets.

That $20 manual tensioner on Amazon has a review were the user said it literally disintegrated hours after installing. Perhaps he put too much tension on it :dunno: , or maybe those lower priced aftermarket units are using cheaper materials.

Being that my original hydraulic tensioners were likely loosing some tension which resulted in the broken guides, should I use new hydraulic tensioners for that initial period of break-in and not the ones I pull out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would run the manuals from day one
No slack not ever

But if you want to run some hydraulic ones first I would use new. They don’t have to be ford but they should be decent. Still they will need to pump up so you should prime the oil pump at the very least

Either way. New manual adjust from the beginning then partial disassembly to adjust after the 3rd oil change or new hydraulic first then partial disassembly to swap. Same difference on the labor. Personally, would use the manuals and sell of the hydraulics if they were part of a chain/guides/tensioners master kit.

Thanks for clarifying the parts. I thought Motorcraft produced OEM parts for Ford. If Motorcraft was to have produced these parts would they also have been considered OEM?

I came across a helpful post on here by 2kstreetrod who listed the Ford OEM timing chain related part numbers. I spent the past few days going over all the parts and understanding what I need to get this done.

I did find all the original parts I needed and notice that the parts seem to be all Ford OEM parts (blue/white) box as you mentioned.

Thanks for the tip. not in USA making this stuff.
guys - Ford doesn't make anything parts related and Motorcraft is a brand, name packaging, only.

Ford buys these parts and has the supplier stuff them in Ford or motorcraft boxes. No Ford employess making these.

There is some supplier, like Melling, cloyes, etc - most not in the USA making this stuff

- to someones specs.

This does not mean they are made to Ford specs.

Buying the dealer part may be the best option, unless the OEM parts were equally as junk as the parts used to build these engines and the aftermarket has a better solution.

Right, but if it comes in the Ford box it is guaranteed to be a part made to OEM specs.

Manufactures do runs in batches. A company like Cloyes could very well supply a Ford OEM part. They do a batch for Ford, to their specs, and then do a run of their own parts. Those parts could use inferior materials. That’s why I’m always hesitant when people claim “XYZ company is the OEM supplier.” While true, it doesn’t necessarily mean every part that leaves their factory is made to those specs.

If you want guaranteed OEM performance from a part, you buy the OEM part.

Are some aftermarket parts going to exceed OEM? Of course. But you need to do your homework. Cloyes is a great example. Apparently, Cloyes makes some high quality timing components for other engines—but their SOHC tensioners are 100% junk parts.

AFAIK, there are no Motorcraft boxed/badged tensioners. White/blue box, Ford oval stamped only.

I would run the manuals from day one
That was my thought from the start when I learned about the mechanical tensioners. Install this all at once with my timing chain replacement.

Set it and forget it. :)

Thanks for confirming that.

New manual adjust from the beginning then partial disassembly to adjust after the 3rd oil change

Is it also possible that I may not even need to adjust later?

If any future adjustments on the manual tensioner become necessary wouldn't I know it if I hear that tick tick tick coming back? And if I don't hear that again, then all is well?

would use the manuals and sell of the hydraulics if they were part of a chain/guides/tensioners master kit.
Good thing, I haven't picked up any tensioners yet. I been purchasing some of the other parts.

Speaking of which, has anybody here placed any orders or is familiar with fordpartsgiant? I purchased this front timing chain assembly (7U3Z6A257A) and later wondered if they are a legit supplier offering true Ford OEM parts.

Front Timing Chain Cassete Assmbly Kit - 7U3Z6A257A .jpg

They were offering this kit at $72 which was the lowest I had seen. Although some of the reviews I read (after the purchase) made me feel like I should have went with Tasca. :confused2:

Is it also possible that I may not even need to adjust later?

If any future adjustments on the manual tensioner become necessary wouldn't I know it if I hear that tick tick tick coming back? And if I don't hear that again, then all is well?

Good thing, I haven't picked up any tensioners yet. I been purchasing some of the other parts.

Speaking of which, has anybody here placed any orders or is familiar with fordpartsgiant? I purchased this front timing chain assembly (7U3Z6A257A) and later wondered if they are a legit place offering true Ford OEM parts.

View attachment 451853

They were offering this kit at $72 which was the lowest I had seen. Although some of the reviews I read (after the purchase) made me feel like I should have went with Tasca. :confused2:
AFAIK FPG is a real ford seller ive gotten parts from them that as far as i could tell looked legit and have held up over time

It’s not a bad idea to check the adjustment on the manual tensioner after some miles just to check. I set the tension on our rzr engine in 2015 and sold it last year 2023 never had to adjust anything the cold start tick never came back. Once they are adjusted you should be good to go imo

It literally takes 15 minutes to remove sohc upper plenum

AFAIK FPG is a real ford seller ive gotten parts from them that as far as i could tell looked legit and have held up over time
OK. That's good to hear about you having had a good experience with their parts. I feel better knowing that. :)

I set the tension on our rzr engine in 2015 and sold it last year 2023 never had to adjust anything the cold start tick never came back. Once they are adjusted you should be good to go imo
I got it. Thanks for that. Will surely keep an ear open as well after the install of the manual tensioners.

It's interesting how the original hydraulic tensioners look so different from the front being longer to the rear being shorter.

With the manual tensioner, I would be getting two of the same looking parts for both the front and rear? Correct?

It doesn't look like sparks has a front or rear. 🤔

OK. That's good to hear about you having had a good experience with their parts. I feel better knowing that. :)
as always YMMV but thats my experience

The Polaris engine only has one tensioner

The manual tensioner will fit in both holes/ heads on the sohc

The Polaris engine only has one tensioner

The manual tensioner will fit in both holes/ heads on the sohc
Thanks for confirming. 👍

The torque on these manual tensioners would be the same as with the hydraulic ones? I believe it's 33 ft lbs.

Would this be correct?

Yes that torque is needed so the “gasket” seals the oil, in this case the gasket is a very thin tin washer

Yes that torque is needed so the “gasket” seals the oil, in this case the gasket is a very thin tin washer
Yes, thank you for confirming the torque. It looks like I'll need to purchase those thin metal gaskets as I don't think the sparks tensioners include them.

Looks like I can get the OEM washers from tascaparts.

Timing Chain Tensioner O-Ring Metal Gasket

Another question Ive had is with the "volume reducing plug" (as shown below).

Volume Reducing Plug.jpg

Given that I'm going with the manual tensioners, if my engine does have this inside the galley plug should I remove it?

Or is there any benefit in leaving this in there for the manual tensioner?

I would just leave it in there
For whatever reason ford decided it helped get oil pressure to the tensioners quicker on cold start (one less cavity to fill)
It is not going to hurt anything to leave it in there even with manual tensioners
If that cavity did not need oil at startup and ford decided to plug it up, we’ll there are other components in the engine that get oil too… let them

OK, will leave it in there. Would it be a good idea to replace that volume reducing plug for a new one?

If this does exist, It would be the original one.

OK, will leave it in there. Would it be a good idea to replace that volume reducing plug for a new one?

If this does exist, It would be the original one.
afaik its just a piece of plastic, much more things that id change before it, but thats just imo. this 98 didnt even come with it and afaik doesnt even have it (never had the 00m12 done and it still runs like a top at 330k)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No need to replace it! Save the old one for the next sohc engine!

Back