How To: Install a keyless entry deadbolt lock . | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Install a keyless entry deadbolt lock .

There are many different types of keyless entry locks on the market. The one being installed has five buttons in a vertical row, and has a 2-3/8" backset on the deadbolt latch. Here is a picture of what comes in the box:
Keyless_entry_lock_set_.jpg

This is the back of the lock with two shafts protruding out:
The_back_of_the_lock_.jpg

The upper shaft engages a cam mechanism to change the combination from the inside of the door after the code is entered. This is only used to change the combination. The lower one is the shaft which opens the lock from the inside of the door. It's connected to the large knob. The upper part requires a screwdriver to turn the cam to reset the code.

The steel door has the hinges on the left side, and opens when you push the door. It's a prehung door with two pre-drilled holes:
The_steel_door_comes_with_two_holes_.jpg

The door needs to be chiseled out before the deadbolt latch could be installed:
Enlarging_the_recess_hole_.jpg

The deadbolt latch is in:
The_side_of_the_door_with_the_latch_.jpg

Notice how the deadbolt latch has an arrow showing which way is up. Since the hinge is on the left, the arrow has to point down instead of up. Always test the lock with the deadbolt latch prior to installation. The height of the upper holes will vary depending upon which direction this arrow on the deadbolt faces.The lock requires an additional set of holes for the part that changes the combination. Here is a picture of the upper holes drilled into the door:
The_door_needs_another_set_of_holes_.jpg

The lock has two shafts which need to be cut down to fit the width of the door. Here is a close up picture of the markings on the upper shaft:
ar_shafts_need_to_be_cut_to_the_width_of_the_door_.jpg

This is how you break off the extra part of the shaft:
This_is_how_you_break_off_the_shaft_.jpg

Everything after this point is straight forward. Connect the strike plate onto the door frame, and select the proper length of the bolts for the lock. There are 4 bolts, and 3 lengths. The correct length for my door was the middle size from this set. Here is the lock installed on the door:
The_lock_is_installed_.jpg

It's a good idea to choose your own combination, and not keep the original factory setting of 2-4 together, and a 3.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the lock on a door that has the hinges on the right hand side:
The_lock_is_installed_1.jpg

It's hard to see the individual buttons in the picture. There are 5 bottons in a vertical line. This is what the lock looks like on the back of the door:
The_rear_view_of_the_combination_lock_.jpg

The deadbolt catch has the arrow facing up since the hinges are on the right hand side. This is what the hole pattern looks like:
The_upper_holes_are_drilled_.jpg

The outer holes are 1/4", and the center hole is 3/4".

Here's a different type of lock from another manufacturer:
The_box_.jpg

This lock has a lever handle, and a latch instead of a deadbolt. You could set it to automatically lock when you close the door or over-ride the lock function to use as an ordinary door knob. The code has to be typed in (always press the "C" button first to clear it), then press the "Y" button on the lower left hand corner of the lock. Pressing the "Y" button a second time will enable the lock function.
This is what you will see when you open the box:
Lockey_2835_parts_.jpg

The door is pre-drilled, but still has to be chiseled, and drilled for the lock. This is the side of the door:
Chisel_the_door_for_the_latch_.jpg

These doors are not solid wood, so a few light taps with a chisel & hammer will remove the extra material. The latch is now installed:
The_latch_is_installed_.jpg

The rectangle strike plate that came with the lock set won't be used at this time. I have a square strike plate for this application:
Connect_the_strike_plate_.jpg

The door already has a 2-1/8" hole. Now it needs a 1/4" hole to be drilled for the upper support of the lock. The lock is used as a template if there is no paper template:
Mark_the_upper_hole_.jpg

The hole is marked, but needs to be confirmed for the proper alignment:
Double_check_the_alignment_of_the_hole_.jpg

Always double check the alignment prior to making a permanent hole. Everything is correct, so the 1/4" hole is ready to be drilled:
Drill_a_quarter_inch_hole_.jpg

The connecting bar needs to be cut down for the width of the door:
Break_off_both_ends_for_a_thin_door_.jpg

The latch has two slots for the connecting bar:
The_latch_has_two_slots_.jpg

The bar will go into the left side notch for right handed operation:
Angle_the_bar_this_way_for_right_hand_operation_.jpg

There is a small hole in the right corner of the latch. An alignment rod will screw into the back of the lock along with two threaded extensions for the two connecting screws. The hardware installation set comes with a few different sizes of screws to match the width of the door:
Tighten_both_inside_screws_.jpg

The handles are held in place with an Allen head set screw:
Tighten_the_set_screws_with_an_Allen_wrench_.jpg

The lock is now installed:
The_lock_is_installed_2.jpg

This PDF has installation instructions: http://www.lockeyusa.com/pdf/2835-instructions.pdf
This PDF has information on changing the code: http://www.lockeyusa.com/pdf/2000series-how-to-change-code.pdf
This is a link to the manufacturer's website: http://www.lockeyusa.com/2835.html

Great write up on those locks! Obviously the locks are not the weak point anymore. Whats the normal pricing on some of those locks? I'm looking at redoing my front door.....kinda doesn't close at all or lock, gotta shim out the door a bit because theres a huge gab between the frame and the lock itself :rolleyes:

They vary in price. You could find some wholesale for under $100, The retail price is over $100. I bought the Lockey lever handle lock on EBay for around $115 & change. The Simplex is a tougher lock in comparison. They make one with a knob or a lever but, it's very expensive. These locks don't use batteries since they are fully mechanical. You could find an electronic lock in Home Depot or Lowe's in a similar price range. Maybe you could make a similar write up on an electronic version? Here's a link to get you started: http://www.aaaindustrialsupply.com/lockeykeylessmechanicaldigitaldoorlocks.aspx. This place sells them on EBay, and is where I got the Lockey lock. He offers free shipping, and a quantity discount.

I'm thinking about it right now. The front door being the way it is DEFINITELY is sucking heat out of it and if we get a couple more 20 below days like we have (minus new years which was 50:eek:) it would help with the heating. Might be a weekend project some time soon

The whole house needs to be resealed. Someone already attempted to do the windows once and they came out HORRIBLE so I might have to redo them all in the next 2 years. Nothing like feeling the wind with the windows closed lol. I will most likely grab the LD gun when I redo them.

Back