1954 F100 short bed body onto a 1999 Ranger short bed Chassis | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1954 F100 short bed body onto a 1999 Ranger short bed Chassis

Ok. 7.5 has 102 teeth 8.8 has 108.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The signal from the ABS sensor should be based on the tooth count combined with the gear ratio. So being they have different numbers of teeth, it will be like changing the gear by that ratio of 102/108. The 8.8 will work, but the speed signal will be changed slightly for the given gear ratio.

The flex fuel 3.0 rangers have a module on top of the fuel tank that detects the E fuel
I have to delete that flex fuel sensor every time I convert a 3.0 ranger to a 5.0

there is very little info about this online

Thanks Jamie The next time that I have the bed a loose I will l check it out. BTW Holley told me that the Holley Term Max can be adjusted to run an alcohol mix fuel if necessary provided the injectors have more poundage and using Viton seals etc.

the Holley can do so many things
Its like
"where have you been all my life"

Would be absolutely perfect for somebody (like me) wanting to put a 5.0 into lets say a 1988 Bronco II
All the things I had to do to fool my 88 into thinking its a 97.5 mountaineer.... not needed anymore
Half the wiring and emissions crap just simply "goes away"
I am really excited about this! please send $$$$

As long as it is a 5.0 with a crank sensor set-up.

I'm always buying, acquiring used parts to repurpose etc. for my 1954 F100 project. This factory 1994-97 T-bird AM-FM-CD player was installed in to the 1992 Explorer some 20 years ago by the PO. Yesterday I removed it from the '92 to use in my '54 F100. I also have a wiring harness out of a 1993 Mustang for what I think is a premium sound vehicle. I don't have an amp. In the wire picture, the scissors are laying across the stereo unit connectors. Then to the left are the amp connectors. To the middle right going off frame on the right edge of the picture are the speaker wires.
Supposedly there is one wire that needs moved or swapped to use the T-bird stereo in the '93 Mustang. Any insight anyone?
tbird94-97amfmcd.jpg

93mustereopswire2.jpg

I can't help with the wiring, I'd probably ask a radio tech or on the Corral forum.

But I do have two old 93 Explorer Limited radios, which look similar to that one. Both went bad, the first I paid $200 for a repair that lasted under a year, and the 2nd was used and didn't last three months. The display showed "bad" or "error" on them, I forgot since it was about 20 years ago.

@CDW6212R Were the 93 Explorer stereos AM-FM-CD? I've looked on Ebay for Mustang, T-bird, Explorer and Late '90s F150 amplifiers and the F150 looks like it has the connectors that match up to the harness that I have.
That is pretty much the complete harness with exception of the right door speaker connector. The wrecked Mustang that the wiring came out of was hit hard in the right side and the door had to be cut off of it.

Yes the 1993 and 94 Limited's had the CD player like that. It was very good as an OEM radio when it worked. The original in my 93 died a couple of years before I decided to stop using the truck and use it for my 99 rebuild. I took it to a local radio shop, the buy was very nice and seemed to know what he was doing. But it took him a long time to figure out the problem was the display itself. He charged me $120 for the part, and $80 of labor. That was a bit high to me in 2003, but I liked it enough to try to keep it. Then it died again after several months, and I then hunted a used one.

The connectors on the rear of the high option Ford radios were unique back then, as most know it's hard to modify the 1995-97 Explorers because of those things, the odd amps and wiring etc. It got a little easier with 1998+ Fords, they made the systems with less complicated unique wiring and circuits. So swapping the decks and amps got a little easier. I had Mark VII's back then, and Lincoln's were always terrible for their huge number of wires between the deck and the rest. So you couldn't change one component without changing virtually all of the rest. My 91 Lincoln I swapped the deck for a Kenwood 7" DVD player, and ran new wiring to an aftermarket amp, plus the speaker wires. The OEM system had about two dozen wires going from the deck to the amplifier, way too complicated.

I wish I had made time to save the 93 dash wiring from my Limited Explorer, but I had to clean my back yard quickly about ten years ago. Would you like to see the back of these CD players? There are two connectors and one is thin and long, the other I think is a smaller square shape.

Here are pictures of my AM-FM-CD player. Top pic is the stereo unit and the 3rd what plugs into the amp.
94cdconn1.jpg

1994discfaceandbuttons.jpg
94cdconn2.jpg

Those deck connectors look the same from what I remember of my 93 CD player.

@CDW6212R I'm trying to figure out which amp that I would need to match up to the connectors. The 94-98 T-bird AM-FM-CD player was swapped into my '92. So I guess I need to know what a 1992 Explorer amp looks like and where it is located in the vehicle.

I don't think my 93 had any amp except the one in the rear quarter panel, and I'm fairly sure that was just for the sub there. I thought the OEM decks all had internal amps, though some of the 95-97 models were weird in that way.

Just a quick question for you guys with 1998 and up but particularly through 2002? I'm learning about these Rangers bit by bit. I started at the beginning of the Ranger section, Feb 15th 1999 and am/are reading anything that has to do with 1998-2002 3.0 powered Rangers. I have been through ~ 100 pages of threads posted out of 292. So, the answer I'm looking for may or may not already be here in the Ranger section. Here is my question including my assumptions about adding cruise control to my 1954F100/1999Ranger project. I will not be using the control buttons from the Ranger steering wheel. From what I have been told that the bulk of the wiring is already in the truck, like the connector to plug the Cruise module, the part with the cable coming out of it,
What I'm not sure about is, what find of connector is under the dash that maybe a wiring harness that connects the steering column to a harness under the dash. I need a piece of this to connect to my custom control switch set.
I have located at my local LKQ the cruise module that is on a 1999 Ranger 3.0 truck that I can remove to put on mine. My lack of experience with these cruise systems makes me want to acquire/scavenge of off a truck that has the same engine and is the same year. If someone wants to scratch me out a simple diagram of what is already in the '99 Ranger and what I need it would be appreciated. I would like to make just one trip to LKQ early next week.
Thanks in advance to any of you that can help me.

interesting

the cruise wiring should be in place I would think, even rangers that did not have cruise still have the bog plug on the pass fender skirt
I have never added cruise control to anything that did not already have it, usually I am removing it.
It is a pretty simple system though...... you should be able to plug it in and maybe add a fuse, then have cruise (just spitballing)

@410Fortune OK. I saw the connector on the pass fender skirt. I'll look at the harness on my '97 Explorer while I have all of the pieces loose just to change an odometer gear. I envision a harness on the column connecting the clock spring to the main body harness? I'll look at my '97 Saturday. It's currently apart except for the metal "knee cap buster". Instruments physically loose, etc. Thanks for helping me think through this.
I want cruise on my '54 F100. The CC systems on these Gen II Ex/Rans work really smooth and admittedly have gotten addicted to it. I even use it on my 4.75 mile one way trip to work and back.
This is it how it electrically functions.
1999RangerCC wiring.png

1999rangerccp2.gif

1999excc.jpg

I have just looked at the 1997 Explorer and 1999 Ranger and I can see the yellow covering on the harness just under the clock spring. It heads down under the dash to two connectors and then can't see much more of that. Then on the '97 master cylinder CC disengagement switch and trace the wiring from it that heads under the Big power distribution box then disappears. Saturday I will get those two trucks side by side and get a good look at both. Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Custom Cruise Control switches and wiring
Recently I ordered several stainless finish miniature switches. One idea that I came up with is to mount them in a stationary horn center button.
54ccswitchbuttons.jpg

I'm wanting to find the best spot for the 8 conductor mic cable to come up in the middle of the wheel. Bottom looks to be the best.
54swheel8cable.jpg

Below is where I got the idea...
racewheelswitches.jpg

I just ordered 4 different values of 1/2 watt resistors. 20 each minimum was the cheapest that I could get. If you ever need any, let me know.
120, 680, 1000 and 2200 ohm.

Back