1954 F100 short bed body onto a 1999 Ranger short bed Chassis | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1954 F100 short bed body onto a 1999 Ranger short bed Chassis

I'm trying to make a simplified Cruise control switch wiring diagram using the FoMoCo scrabble drawings. I think I have it correct with exception of the horn circuits being completed. That's 2 or 3 separate horn buttons.
54cruisewireswitchsimp.jpg

Added: Open ground to the horn relay...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@410Fortune @CDW6212R @Josh P I have located a 1999 Ranger at the local pick and pull with the same engine that i have in mine. It has the 2nd cable hooked to the throttle that would indicate that it has CC. The cable lengths are engine specific.
lkq99rancccable3.0x.jpeg

In the morning I will see if the harness under the dash is prewired for cruise control. The big plug for the module with the cable coming out of it is on the passenger apron. That it a good indication that my truck is prewired. Later I will go to the parts yard and get the speed control module, the master cylinder disengagement switch and any other odd bits. My '97 Explorer master cylinder that it will be upgraded to has an Allen head plug in the hole for the pressure switch. In the picture below, the little green plug on the front top is where the switch hole is. This master cylinder is for Gen II Explorer with rear disc which the truck is getting. Coincidentally I purchased one with the sensor and ring. Luckily!
97exmc-cc.jpg

When I'm installing the speed control parts, I will install this master cylinder and delete the RABS, Rear Antilock Brake System.

@410Fortune @Josh P @CDW6212R @donalds After verifying that my '99 is prewired for cruise control I headed to the salvage yard. Parts go pretty fast at this particular yard being on the edge of the city. I went up to the '99 wRanger and someone had been there before me. The master cylinder was gone including the pressure disengage switch. The cruise module was undone from the apron but still plugged in. The pressure switch wiring was ziptied to it and the cable removed from the bracket and hardware missing. I don't think whoever undid parts of this really knew what they were doing. I found an adjustment clip for the cable on another Explorer and a switch on yet another. While I was at the '99 wRanger, I clipped the harness just below the clock spring and went under the dash and also clipped behind the connectors. I have more than I need to work with. I did get the 90 day warranty too. I saw some more parts that I need for my other Explorers that I need to get before the clock runs out on them. When the 3.0 comes out of the Ranger to go into the Aerostar, the cruise control will be going with it. Probably some custom wiring will be involved. Thanks, Josh, for all the specific Aerostar information. IT seems that I may need a '97 AS for a parts vehicle..
99wrangerccmodule.jpg

I'm working with schematics to see what I will need to control the CC module. I'm not using the Ranger steering wheel or other column switches.
I'll be using a 1968 Ford wiper switch, a '72 F100 ignition switch and a 1954 F100 turn signal switch. It is a lot of pieces to modify using the old switches with the newer Ranger. Below is a drawing that I am working on for the cruise and horn switches.
54bshornbutton.jpg

1999 Ranger RABS delete
Today I unplugged the RABS unit and the ABS light came on and stayed on. Then I mashed the brake pedal and the brake system warning light came on and stayed on. I reached over to the RABS module and unplugged it and both lights went off.
I was looking at the lines on each end of the RABS and neither looked like bubble flair lines. Just plain metric double flare lines. I connected the line to the rear brakes to the check valve on the Ranger master cylinder. I was able to swing it around and it threaded right in.
99rangerRABS.jpg

Remember, the RABS module does not have the gray with black stripe VSS wire coming out of it.

I deleted the RABS on my 91 aerostar. I pushed the brakes to stop and the pedal went to the floor. On the older units there is a valve to equalize the pressure front and rear. It failed open and I had no brakes.

@Josh P Was it RABS OR 4WABS ?

:popcorn:

In the morning I'll do a bleed and test. Being the newer and simpler RABS I think it should work. I still have the '97 Explorer MC to install when I finally get all of the CC ready to test. The Explorer rear disc rearend can't go in until I relocate the spring perches for the Ranger way of doing things. Spring over axle on one spring under axle on the other. Picture of disc 8.8 that I picked up a few years back.
98ex8.8.JPG

I had bought this with two other projects in mind. One was to convert the '91 to rear disc and the other was to narrow up for a '67 Mustang.
I still need one more 8.8. If this one doesn't have a VSS, I'll pick one up that does. I can't tell from the picture if it has VSS, and it is over at
work with some other differentials. I'm seeing a lot of 8.8s but one person could go cash broke trying to pick up everyone that they come
across. I'll leave some out for the JEEP guys...

Contemplating how to wire the 1999 Ranger ignition switch wires to a 1979 F100 ignition switch. The '79 truck switch, bezel and pigtail are all available.

Is there any similarity of the 54 steering column to the early 90's Explorer and Ranger's column? I can't remember if you posted any pictures detailing any of that before. I'm going to install my old 93 column into my 73 Ranchero, which lets me use that ignition switch, plus a matching steering wheel with CC buttons.

Make sure you add the "recall" to that red cruise control brake switch, that is the sucker that was burning down Fords and owners homes
They add a series of fuses, I am sure you have the recall harness around somewhere

I have some 54F100 truck column pictures on this thread back a few pages (EDIT: Located at the bottom of page one at the beginning of this thread). Zero similarities to the '54 column except the turn signal switch in the '54 is like first year Mustang and late 60's Bronco. Yesterday I picked up two of the fusible link recall add on pigtails. I un-taped one to see what it was about. My blue '97 has one and if the white'97 doesn't have one, I now have a spare to add. I wish the CC MC had still been on the w99 ranger at LKQ. It had the disengage switch on it where my Ranger MC is not drill and tapped for the switch. I have a few pieces to all get into place before a test.

You can likely wire the cruise control brake circuit to the BOO switch located on the brake pedal, the earlier trucks did not have the red switch on the brake master cylinder, instead they just use the brake switch
will junk yards even sell used brake master cylinders? I would not buy one unless I planned to rebuild

You can likely wire the cruise control brake circuit to the BOO switch located on the brake pedal, the earlier trucks did not have the red switch on the brake master cylinder, instead they just use the brake switch
will junk yards even sell used brake master cylinders? I would not buy one unless I planned to rebuild

Yes, running the constant battery current through the sensor in the MC was a very stupid idea. If or when that sensor ever leaks brake fluid through it, when the current hits it, that's a short circuit and a fire is likely. So anyone can add a simple fuse to such a constant current circuit, you can place that fuse anywhere you'd like. I haven't decided how to improve mine, that ugly add on harness doesn't work for me. That's part of cleaning up an engine bay for a project vehicle.

The Ranger was on the first row of LKQ behind a privacy fence next to the parking lot. Someone may have thrown it over the fence to his buddy. I thought about how Gen 1 disengages and for testing purposes, I can touch the two switch wires together. The truck will be on stands to test the CC.
I tried to add a '79 F100 ignition switch wiring diagram and a 1999 Ranger switch diagram. This forum didn't recognize it.
The one really good thing that I have going for me is for well over 50 years, FoMoCo has used the same wiring colors for their functions. IE, lt/bl is for interior light, red/blue stripe starter engage etc.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm well maybe we use an older master and simply wire the brake on off circuit to the brake switch
There has to be a reason Ford went to the master cylinder mounted switch
Need to look at the wiring schematics to see why

@410Fortune @CDW6212R For some reason FORD wanted to separate the brake light switch from cruise disengage? Could it be because one trip that me and the wife went on a day trip and suddenly the cruise would not disengage. I was turning off the ignition as I rolled in to AutoZone's parking lot. Turns out that my big boot knocked the brake switch a loose, unplugged. I plugged it back in and it worked.
On the 95 up Explorers and '98 Rangers, does the disengage switch have to have constant battery power or can it be wired to KO power?

well cruise control wont work if the truck is not running so.................
Having the brake switch hooked to constant power is what got them in trouble

Knocking the brake switch connector loose will also result in no brake lights LOL LOL LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@410Fortune And the Cruise OFF button was missing. The top piece that will come out. Jamie, I'm fixing to send you a picture of something that I saw at the JY...

Back