• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer NBX Bigger Tires

Kevincaseyjr

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Explorer NBX
Ive had my 04 NBX for about 3 years and I love it but I'm trying to give it a more rugged look. I bought a grille guard from steelecraft and I want a little bigger tire setup with more aggressive tread. I'm not completely opposed to getting new rims for it but I like the look of the factory 17" rims my current tires are 245/65/17 I'm not ready to do a lift on the X yet but maybe eventually.

What're your thoughts on tires/rims/sizes how do they fit without a lift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOL

Most popular question asked on this site. Just use the search button at the top of the page for future references. It'll be your best buddy.

LOL

Most popular question asked on this site. Just use the search button at the top of the page for future references. It'll be your best buddy.

I tried and I wasn't coming up with exactly what I was looking for but I guess i'll just have to be more thorough

This site is packed with stuff, sometimes you just have to be creative with your wording.

Kevincaseyjr said:
Yeah I think I found the ones I want to get sorry about posting an unnecessary thread, kinda feel like an idiot haha https://www.treadwright.com/p-63-265-70r17-guard-dog-m-t-e.aspx those are the ones can't wait.

They are great, I just ordered the same set. You'll need some sort of lift though. As it is a retread, and the tread is so aggressive it is actually a little bigger than other 265/70/17's. I've got a 3" body lift AND 2" wheel spacers and I still needed to trim my bumper because I was rubbing. I can only imagine the rubbing you'd get.... I've also got the same 17" ford rims, I like them too.

b64a13c0.jpg

They are great, I just ordered the same set. You'll need some sort of lift though. As it is a retread, and the tread is so aggressive it is actually a little bigger than other 265/70/17's. I've got a 3" body lift AND 2" wheel spacers and I still needed to trim my bumper because I was rubbing. I can only imagine the rubbing you'd get.... I've also got the same 17" ford rims, I like them too.

b64a13c0.jpg
Those BF Goodrich's look nice, you had to do the lift and trimming with those at 265/70/17? Or just the retreads?

Triton8273 said:
Those are the retreads.

The tread on these is MUCH more aggressive than BFG's A/T tread. I don't know about trimming with those...

Back