• Register Today It's free!

2012 4.0 motor in a 2006 explorer

mobilemike

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford explorer limite
Bought my 06 explorer from a mom and pop dealer they swapped the 06 4.0 for a 12 4.0 and computer not reading evap system or any o2 sensors truck getts 7 miles to gallon what do I need to do to make it right im a mech of 28 years but not familiar with engine upgrades or new engine to older vehical swap but if explained I will understand

Bought my 06 explorer from a mom and pop dealer they swapped the 06 4.0 for a 12 4.0 and computer not reading evap system or any o2 sensors truck getts 7 miles to gallon what do I need to do to make it right im a mech of 28 years but not familiar with engine upgrades or new engine to older vehical swap but if explained I will understand
I thought they quit making the 4.0 SOHC in 2010 or maybe as late as 2011. There's likely rebuilt/re-manufactured engines available after that though.
Anyway, the engines are generally the same from 2006-2010 with some exceptions such as different intakes between Mustangs and Explorer/Mountaineer models and jackshafts used in some Explorer/Mountaineers especially 4X4s.
This is my experience anyway. I took a 4.0 out of a Mustang and put it in my Explorer and just changed the intake.
I'd be more inclined to look for missing or damaged connectors or wiring harness for the problems you mentioned. The harnesses are notorious for having melted wires. Or maybe they dealer didn't hook up evap system or 02 sensors since they are the 2 sensors that I can think of that are not connected to the engine itself.
A good resource is the wiring diagrams/component locations is Repair and Diagnosis — 2006 Ford Truck Explorer 2WD V6-4.0L VIN E Service Manual | Operation CHARM

Especially:
It's likely something simple.
Good luck
Steve

I thought they quit making the 4.0 SOHC in 2010 or maybe as late as 2011. There's likely rebuilt/re-manufactured engines available after that though.
Anyway, the engines are generally the same from 2006-2010 with some exceptions such as different intakes between Mustangs and Explorer/Mountaineer models and jackshafts used in some Explorer/Mountaineers especially 4X4s.
This is my experience anyway. I took a 4.0 out of a Mustang and put it in my Explorer and just changed the intake.
I'd be more inclined to look for missing or damaged connectors or wiring harness for the problems you mentioned. The harnesses are notorious for having melted wires. Or maybe they dealer didn't hook up evap system or 02 sensors since they are the 2 sensors that I can think of that are not connected to the engine itself.
A good resource is the wiring diagrams/component locations is Repair and Diagnosis — 2006 Ford Truck Explorer 2WD V6-4.0L VIN E Service Manual | Operation CHARM

Especially:
It's likely something simple.
Good luck
Steve

Hi Steve replaced both upstream 02 sensors as the codes are for the heater circuit on both bank 1 sensor 1 bank 2 sensor 1 and no change also evap purge valve no response now my truck has 2, 1 under hood and 1 ontop of spare tire no power to either and pulled harness to make sure no bad wires then pin tested computer and no on those pins and no power off those pins also code for a/c clutch no response and a/c works great clutch cycles

Back