• Register Today It's free!

4WD Problem

TruBlu

Reaction score
City, State
Pinson (B'ham), Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4WD
My left (drivers side) auto locking hub fails. Have replaced it once, with a used one and it did the same thing. When I put into 4WD and put under the least amount of pressure, the left side pops and then makes a ratcheting sound. Where should I start to look? Could something be out of alignment or broken? I've read that the auto locking hubs are problematic and manual hubs will eliminate the problem. Is it that simple or could the problem go beyond the hub?

All I know is that the auto hubs are made out of a lot of plastic. The manuals are a lot more sturdy and hold up a lot better. If you know the noise is coming from the hub, you may just want to put the manuals on. Manuals are better anyway IMO.

and welcome to the site. If you cant find your solution here for your explorer, then chances are, there is no solution. good luck, and happy exploring.

Andy

Is the axle shaft U-Joint OK? If it's bad, I have seen them make the same sound. A bad/floppy U-Joint will also cause an AUTO lock hub to try and lock-up causing them to go bad.

ive been there, replaced with manuals, and all seems good.

Back