5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons

You are using a manual shift transfer case, you will simply run two wires from the t case to your instrument cluster for the 4hi and 4 low lights
That’s still in the maybe category, very low on the priority list. Currently working on modifying the D50 to accept standard U bolts and getting that all located under the front end as well as finding a home for the 79 4wd F series steering box, and of course plumbing and turning that.
Steering linkage
Shocks
Driveshaft
Brakes
Hydro assist?
Proportioning valve and rip out the ABS
Winch and wiring
Front bumper
It’s a long list yet. lol

Having a list means having a plan.

Rear end is almost finished, started mocking up the front. IFS getting torn out today so I can start building structure to mount the springs to.
All the major parts are on the way including 40s.

IMG_8135.jpeg

IMG_8220.jpeg

IMG_8222.jpeg

IMG_8231.jpeg

Got all the IFS stuff torn out today, and kinds slid the 50 in below where it will live just to kinda see where mounts might end up.
Looks like the rear mounts will be easy, just behind the body mount on ruff stuff outriggers. Not sure about the front because I can’t move the axle up to ride height untill I cut out the crossmember.
Plan for that will be to weld in some 3/8x2-1/2 flat bar in the top of the crossmember hollow, and one on the top of the frame in front of the rad, then cut the crossmember. The plan is to mount a winch plate as low as possible and build off that for a the shackles and it will also act as bracing up there. Once I have that in place I’m going to make a removable engine crossmember so I can drop the pan if I want.

IMG_8237.jpeg

IMG_8236.jpeg

IMG_8241.jpeg

Back