Advice on which donor vehicle to buy v8 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice on which donor vehicle to buy v8 swap

FullBlownModz

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 and 97 solid axle exes
Hey forum! Well after finishing the d44 sas on my 97 its time for some more planning. While i was working on the axle swap i removed the lower rad hose and half of it looked like water and the other half like a black oil substance. Im thinking head gasket? But at 91k on a sohc really? But im looking to buy a donor for a v8. I recently found a wrecked 99 v8 auto 2wd with 144k in an auction. It ends in a few days and was wondering if i should jump on it.
Should i wait for a stick mustang to come in?
Will the 2wd tranny work if i plan to put a tcase on it?
I have a NP 435 trans and NP 205 tcase sitting around will those be any use to me?

If you want a stick, Ima guess it'd make more sense to get an Explorer for the engine, mounts, and computer. Then grab the transmission and transfercase from a f150

If you want a stick, Ima guess it'd make more sense to get an Explorer for the engine, mounts, and computer. Then grab the transmission and transfercase from a f150
Awesome! I still havent decided if I want to go manual or not. The auto looks like a more simple swap but i do love me a manual

The Explorer 5.0 engine is better in every way over the Mustang 5.0 (better heads and intake). Get the ex because it will be much easier to swap having a complete Explorer 5.0 truck to use all the parts off of too. I think there's a 5.0 swap thread in the stickies.

Back