Bearings/ABS sensor/rotor help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bearings/ABS sensor/rotor help

zavetsky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4
Ok...had my front pass. side caliper lock up today...what fun........(just had the rear brake cylinder blow out just a week ago so I replaced both of those and the brakes back there).......

So, I figured I might as well replace both, have the rotors turned, replace the brake hoses and replace the bearings, etc.........do it all ($$OUCH$$)

I took the rotor to a local shop to turn and they said the bearings and ABS sensor have to be off first........

SO...how hard is it to get that ABS sensor ring off and shoudl I have to remove it to get the rotors turned!?!? I assume the bearings are your standard type, where inner and outer races have to be beat out as well.....

Also worried about how easily the brake line will disconnect from the hose fittings.........

Anyone been there, done that?

Any tips would be very much appreciated..........I am doing one side at a time (what a pain)..........I have everything apart except for the ABS sensor and bearings etc..........Would like advice BEFORE I screw it up!! :)

Thanks in advance!

That's a bunch of crap. You don't have to remove the ABS ring to turn rotors, just the bearings. If you're replacing those too have the old races pressed out and new ones pressed in while the rotor is removed.

Brake lines disconnect easily but I recommend using flare nut wrench so you don't round off the fittings.

This should not be too expensive. Here's the prices I pay:

-Bearings: $40 (all 4)
-Rotors turned: $20/pr.
-Calipers: $26/pr. (w/ core swap)
-OR-
-Caliper rebuild kit: $12/pr.
-New slide pins: $10 (kit w/all 4)
-Synthetic brake grease (for slide pins): $6

Also, I'd buy stainless aftermarket brake lines to improve your brake response.

Yeah, I think you are right....I took the forst rotor to a NAPA shop and they said dont TOUCH the ABS ring........they turned it for me with it left on the rotor...cool!

They also advised that the rotor looked to be almost brand new (the guy I bought the truck from said he had just changed the rotors) and that the bearings and races were probably changed then cuz the races look great.............I think I will hold off on the bearings, so I dont have to wrestle with the races........

The prices you quoted are spot on, and the flare nut wrench worked great on the first side!!

Thanks!!

Back