• Register Today It's free!

Brake noise

stuartr

Reaction score
City, State
Richlands, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
My 02 mounty after changing pads the front brakes started creaking. I thought it was the pads so I changed back to the old ones. This didn't stop it. It happens when the brakes get hot and my ABS light has been going on and off also. So any ideas what this could be. It does it when you are on the pedal to slow down but stops when you get on it hard to actually stop. It makes a creak, creak about once a second. Sounds like a thin pc of metal dragging on something almost like a heat sheild or something. But I looked and can't find anything. The drivers side started 1st then the pass. started. You can 't feel it in the peadl when it happens and the brakes feel strong as they should. Not really worried about them failing just really an annoying noise.

STU

Same thing happened to me on my 03 Ex. When you step on the break pedal very lightly at slow speeds you hear a creaking at that one spot on the rotor. Way to fix this is re grease all the slide pins on the caliper with some high temperature break grease. It stopped the noise right away.

Yes that is it, a very regular sound with a regular rythm. I hope that is all it is. Thanks I will try that.

STU

I greased the slides with some really sticky grease the guy @ advance auto sold me in little packs. It so far has worked so I hope it keeps on. I have yet to drive it on a road that the brakes would get real hot so that will be the test.
STU

Back