Charlie's Elite Registry | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Charlie's Elite Registry

To start out, my name is Charlie and I am from Eau Claire Wisconsin. I am also a student at UW-Stout majoring in mechanical design. I have been elite for some time and think it is about time to create a registry.

Originally I had wanted to lower my X and make it performancy, but then I realized that that won't happen, and I have always loved big trucks. So, that is what I will slowly go for.

I have a 1996 Explorer Sport, which I have been driving for several years now. There are no major changes, due to lack of funds. Therefore, for now most all that I can do are cheap/free mods that are for appearance sake.
Back when I got it it looked something like this:
front.jpg

I will try to dig up some better pictures to show later, but I am on my laptop, not my main computer with pictures.
Some point about a year ago, I decided I wanted a roof rack for many reasons. I think SUV's look better with them, plus then it is a spot for me to mount some lights (eventually) and also then I can use it to carry stuff.
IMG_0704.jpg

Magically, a beautiful roof rack from Jtsmith's truck appeared on mine.

At some point, I also decided that I needed an overhead console. I now have one of those and I can tell you the temperature, and the direction I am heading.

I have additionally upgraded the audio, with a Sony head unit and alpine r's in the front doors. I also have an assortment of subs that I am constantly changing out for one reason or another. To also effect the interior sound, I have put down sound deadener on the whole floor and door panels. It really reduces road noise, along with making it nicer to go camping in (feels a little softer)

As for exhaust, I thought I wanted it loud. After experimenting with many exhaust setups, I realized that I have the v6 and nothing will sound really good and not drone. I am now running a near stock sounding muffler. It is slightly louder.

I also recently painted the grill black to break up the mass of white on the vehicle. I also removed the orange corner reflectors. Along with that, I am also running 35% tint all around.
IMG_0752.jpg

Also, to change the look up I also painted my wheels a dark gunmetal color.
IMGP2966.jpg

IMGP2964.jpg

Soon I will be installing shackles, cranking the torsion bars up in front, and hopefully AAL. Then, after that maybe I can find some way to get around another inch of lift, but I have not decided how yet. Then hopefully in the summer of 08 some bigger tires will be in sight. After all, the ones I have now need to be replaced...so it is a great reason to upgrade size.

Current list of modifications:

Interior:
*Overhead console installed, pulled from a junker
*Speakers, and a Sony headunit
*Center console & vents black
*Uniden 510xl CB
*Sound deadener
*A-Pillar handles
*Rear seat bottoms removed, because when I fold down the rear seats they stick up and it's a pain
*White gauges
Here is a contemplation of the interior put together with Autostitch

pano.jpg

Interior again...after changing some things black and mounting the A-Pillar handles
IMGP3331.jpg

(no CB mounted in this one)

Exterior:
*35% tint all around
*31x10.5 A/T tires
*TT/Shackles lift
*Bumper valence removed
*Lights on bumper
*Mounty roof rack
*Stock deerhoofs painted gloss black
*Clear corners, orange reflector removed from stock lamps

Adding more pictures..some are new, some are old. Just throwing in some of my favorites.

When I drove into a field covered in long grass, unkowing there was a tall drop off with a creek because the grass covered it
n1595520155_30151269_5086.jpg

Before going through big mud pits, I hook up my tow strap, so I won't need to climb out in the deep water and try and hook up in case I get stuck
n1595520155_30151588_6486.jpg

Now some mud...
n1595520155_30151592_7949.jpg

Dang, I need to park by civics. My explorer looks tiny by this huge F-150
loose.jpg

Little flex on a trail
IMG_1169.jpg

Parked in a park (heh. Nothing cool about this one, I just like it.)
2-8.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Charlie, FYI the Cragar soft 8s are like 36 bucks a peice from scummit for 15x8s.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Charlie, FYI the Cragar soft 8s are like 36 bucks a peice from scummit for 15x8s.

That's the reason I'm planning on getting them.;) Plus, free shipping:D

I just don't see any reason to buy aluminum/more expensive wheels, this isn't a performance vehicle.

The interior changes look nice Charlie. Let me ask ya something though, why not just pull the whole ashtray out and mount the CB in there and custom make yourself a bezel to go around it to cover up empty space? Or do you need the ash tray? Hows that CB working for ya?

The CB bracket is mounted on the bottom of the ashtray, so it can still be used. I was originally going to pull out the ashtray and use that space, but I realized I could just as easily mount it to the bottom, and still use it. I just use the ashtray as a garbage, since I don't let people smoke in my car (I don't want to get that smell in the car that is impossible to get rid of) CB's working great, I use it a lot more now, since I don't have to put it in every time I am planning on using it. Personally, for freeway driving, I would take a CB over a radar detector any day. Radar detectors don't tell you where the cops are for the next 40 miles up the road.:p:

Yeah, I agree about the CB's I grew up around them thats why I put one in mine. I tell people that if they want to smoke bad enough all the windows have to be open (in the winter) then in the summer if they want to I won't let them.

thats a hell of a deal on those wheels

Oh, but my tires sure don't stick out. I would like to make them, though, sometime (cough spacers cough)

Today I was stuck doing a little "powdering"
:D

Get those Soft 8's from Summit in 3.75 in Backspace and you won't have to worry about spacers ;)

This is a 235/75/15 with a 3.75 in backspacing.

IMG_1530.jpg

It looks like they stick out more in the front than they do in the back im just away from "my" computer so this is the only one I had I will post up more when I get back home. I like the black and white thing, just what im going for

Yeah, the cragars have the backspacing that looks good

Mine are not Cragars they are something else but they are 15x8 with a 3.75 backspacing none the less. Also remember my tires are 235/75/15. I was thinking about getting some cragars but a local shop was having a buy three get one free sale so I couldnt pass it up plus I think they look just as good. If you want more pics just click on my elite thing there are a few there

Shaded the tail lights over the weekend
04-27-08_1505.jpg

I still need to buff/polish them more, I will get around to that later. I just used a combination of clear/black paint to create the desired shade, because all of the products out there that I have seen used came out darker than I wanted.

I did clear them once, but I am still going to run them over with a few more coats of clear, and then buff/polish.

Well, pulled of the fender flares. I have some rust to deal with, as you can see, but it's not that big of a deal. For now, I just hit it with some white paint, so it doesn't stand out quite so much, and so it isn't that ugly rust brown. I will also be chopping off that bottom part that hangs down 1" (highlighted in yellow in the last picture) or so on the bottom, where the ends of the flares connect. I believe that will give it a cleaner look, also. Then, I will be filling the holes.
05-01-08_1220.jpg

05-01-08_1219.jpg

05-01-08_1220copy.jpg

congrads on being elite, charlie sux bout ur holes in the body

Yeah my 94 has the same holes when i take off the side skirt. Rust repair this summer.. oh joy.

ROFLMAO! Thanks for brightening my day Colin. :D

lol Ok, guess I'm not the only one that saw this, though my comp. was combining post sounds like something same would say.

Any way nice work on the taillights and goodluck with the rust repair I've got to do some of that too.

goodluck with the rust repair I've got to do some of that too.

sux bout your rust:D

The only "plus" side of having the rust, is that half of the holes are gone, so I won't need to fill them in:p:

Back