Crank and No Start with new Fuel Pump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crank and No Start with new Fuel Pump

david56780

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
I just got finished installing my new fuel pump today and the Explorer ran fine for 2 or 3 starts then cranked but no start. I didn't hear the pump priming (I have a nice hole in my floor so I can hear it well). I tried starting it a few more times and then heard the pump prime and it started up just fine and the pump sounded good on the drive home.
Then I tried to start it up again after a wash and the same issue. No pump prime.

I have checked/swapped relays and fuses with no change, I can feel the FP relay click. Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery did nothing. PATS light goes solid for 3 seconds then goes out when trying to crank as normal.
The only thing I can think of is bad wiring/connectors.

I replaced the pump because of this issue, and from what I can tell, if the pump isnt bad it will be soon as the strainer looks pretty much clogged.

FWIW I do have leaking injectors due to missing O-rings on one or 2 from when I replaced the valve cover gasket.

I can think of nothing else and she's got me beat for the day.

Any ideas?

Dave

(I should add that I have done many searches on this with nothing useful)

We just got stranded in our 2013 Limited with less than 1000 miles due to a loose connection to the fuel pump. Can you pin out the connector in the hole you made in the floor.

Could be. Im going to test continuity through all the wires in both connectors to make sure everything good there.

But after a little more generic searching, it looks like the inertia switch likes to burn up the connectors. And looking at mine, it looks a little melted so thats my next test.

Turns out the connector to the inertia switch was burned and melted and that was the bad connection.

For those who have similar problems, check the shut off switch connector. Could end up saving yourself a few hundred for a new fuel pump.

Back