GoPro or ? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GoPro or ?

I messed around with the features and tried out the "loop" feature. I didn't realize it saves each 2, 5 or 7 minute loop onto the drive. Makes it easier to download and separate the events of the drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had the Akaso camera for a while now, and it really takes good video. Good enough for me, anyways. It seems to take its best video in the default setting of 4K. I use it as a dash cam when traveling in the RV or Explorer with a seven minute loop recording. It's good for about six hours with a 128GB card. If nothing exciting happens that I want to save, I let it record over when the card is full. If something exciting happens, or I am traveling in a area I want to save due to scenery and/or awesome trails, I switch out the cards. I save them onto my laptop. I have not yet delved into video editing, but need to soon because videos use a lot of hard drive space. I haven't even tried using the magnetic mount for flex shots because I am usually traveling alone, and it's usually not convenient, and sometimes unsafe, to get out and set it up when driving.

I scratched the outside of the lens, it effects picture quality, and am having trouble finding a replacement. Akaso customer service is not helpful. When you ask a specific question, you always get redirected to FAQ's or they ask for a bunch of information that is not relevant to the question. I think it's some type of AI that is not very intelligent. This occurs in emails as well as their online chat.

I've found several replacement lenses on Amazon, but only one says it's been successfully used as a replacement to my camera, a V50X. Of course, that lens has an over a month delivery wait time. I am waiting for the questions to be answered before I purchase. It looks like they are easy to replace, just need the right one.

I've had the Akaso camera for a while now, and it really takes good video. Good enough for me, anyways. It seems to take its best video in the default setting of 4K. I use it as a dash cam when traveling in the RV or Explorer with a seven minute loop recording. It's good for about six hours with a 128GB card. If nothing exciting happens that I want to save, I let it record over when the card is full. If something exciting happens, or I am traveling in a area I want to save due to scenery and/or awesome trails, I switch out the cards. I save them onto my laptop. I have not yet delved into video editing, but need to soon because videos use a lot of hard drive space. I haven't even tried using the magnetic mount for flex shots because I am usually traveling alone, and it's usually not convenient, and sometimes unsafe, to get out and set it up when driving.

I scratched the outside of the lens, it effects picture quality, and am having trouble finding a replacement. Akaso customer service is not helpful. When you ask a specific question, you always get redirected to FAQ's or they ask for a bunch of information that is not relevant to the question. I think it's some type of AI that is not very intelligent. This occurs in emails as well as their online chat.

I've found several replacement lenses on Amazon, but only one says it's been successfully used as a replacement to my camera, a V50X. Of course, that lens has an over a month delivery wait time. I am waiting for the questions to be answered before I purchase. It looks like they are easy to replace, just need the right one.
gotta cut costs somewhere:dunno:though its really unhelpful many times! though i guess beats some customer service though

I think its time to replace my Akaso V50X. It was in the sun for a few days in the Explorer dash mount. The battery swelled and popped the side of the case. I got the battery out by prying it with a small screwdriver as it was wedged in tight. The housing is swelled and the other battery won't seat on the terminals. I think it got so hot it reformed the plastic. I'm just glad it didn't catch fire. It does function with no battery inserted and plugged into 12 volt.

I think with all the plastic case damage and previously scratched lens I would be better off purchasing another camera than trying to repair this one.

Don't think the damage was the camera's fault
It was mine for leaving it in the sun on a 90* day with the windows rolled up, and the camera plugged into power. I'll post back when I buy a replacement.

I am strongly considering a Akaso again, V50 Pro or Elite. They are supposed to have a better lens than the X, and triple the frame rate. Case is the same size as the X. Looks like the the battery and accessories are compatible. They are priced very reasonably at under $120 on Amazon.

Watch what you leave in the car, I realize it isn't as hot in Kingman as Phoenix. Water bottles act as a magnifying glass and can burn whatever is under the bottle. Soda cans and bottles explode, ask me how I know. Your car battery can swell the same way the camera one did, keep an eye on it. If you are not used to hearing a battery explode when you turn the key, keep a pair of underwear in the car, you might need it.

Watch what you leave in the car, I realize it isn't as hot in Kingman as Phoenix. Water bottles act as a magnifying glass and can burn whatever is under the bottle. Soda cans and bottles explode, ask me how I know. Your car battery can swell the same way the camera one did, keep an eye on it. If you are not used to hearing a battery explode when you turn the key, keep a pair of underwear in the car, you might need it.
seen water bottle explode here even

seen water bottle explode here even
I've lost the screen to a GPS cause of the heat. A 1 liter code red mountain dew that was is my cup holder exploded. That took a long time to clean up. I've been burned through the soles of my boots walking across a parking lot. I've had to carry someone cause their cheap shoes melted, looked like they stepped in gum with each step. Leather seats a summer heat don't mix. I keep a towel to cover the steering wheel and to sit on.

I bought the VX50 Elite on Prime day for $111.19. It was $20 less than the lower Pro model. Got it today, but haven't unboxed it of tried it yet. Still cleaning up from the trip.

I bought the VX50 Elite on Prime day for $111.19. It was $20 less than the lower Pro model. Got it today, but haven't unboxed it of tried it yet. Still cleaning up from the trip.

Have you fired up the new dash cam yet? I want to get one for the Seneca.

I'm definitely interested to know about the quality of the video as im in the market for a go pro equivalent

Back