Impact wrench and compressor question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Impact wrench and compressor question

Sorry to post this here I wasn't sure where else to post this but I need advice. I'm trying to simplify some of my work by using an impact wrench, specifically to remove a crankshaft pulley bolt. I'm looking at a 150 max psi, 26 gallon, 1.8hp compressor from harbor freight. It says it can put out 4 cfm at 90psi or 6 cfm at 40psi. I'm also looking at a stubby impact wrench that looks like what I need but it says it consumes about 6cfm at 90psi. So is the compressor I'm looking at underpowered or does that just mean I'm going to run out of power a lot quicker than a unit that can put out 6cfm? I don't have a ton of money to spend on these tools but I also don't want to throw money away on something that's not going to work for what I need. Here are the products I'm looking at.

26 gal. 1.8 HP 150 PSI Oilless Air Compressor

1/2 in. Stubby Ultra-Light Extreme Torque Air Impact Wrench

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to post this here I wasn't sure where else to post this but I need advice. I'm trying to simplify some of my work by using an impact wrench, specifically to remove a crankshaft pulley bolt. I'm looking at a 150 max psi, 26 gallon, 1.8hp compressor from harbor freight. It says it can put out 4 cfm at 90psi or 6 cfm at 40psi. I'm also looking at a stubby impact wrench that looks like what I need but it says it consumes about 6cfm at 90psi. So is the compressor I'm looking at underpowered or does that just mean I'm going to run out of power a lot quicker than a unit that can put out 6cfm? I don't have a ton of money to spend on these tools but I also don't want to throw money away on something that's not going to work for what I need. Here are the products I'm looking at.
I have a similar, low-cost compressor, with only a 12 gal tank, and it's definitely good enough for the job you are describing, and perhaps even an overkill. If the impact wrench (as well as many other tools) draws more than the compressor can deliver to the tank, all it means is that you cannot operate the tool continuously, but unless you are a painter or run a tire shop working on wheel after wheel, who cares? You will get that bolt out in a few seconds, and than the compressor will run for a while after you are done, to replenish the tank.

I have a 5 gal, 5 CFM at 100 PSI Craftsman compressor and at around 100-120 PSI it is perfectly adequate for my Ingersol Rand impact wrench, which is rated for 750 foot pounds. I don't know what you mean by "a stubby impact wrench". I think most air tools suggest/require 5 CFM @ 90 PSI to work properly.

The only time I wish I had a larger compressor is when I use my pneumatic cutting wheel or pneumatic drill. An impact wrench doesn't require many CFM so my 5 gal/5 CFM capacity is fine. I'd love to have a 26 gal compressor, but for most jobs I don't need it. The tool I use the most is my Impact wrench. I've had my pneumatic for over 20 years. Love it, my favorite tool. I also have a pneumatic 3/8's ratchet, which I've hardly ever used.

If I was buying an impact wrench today, I'd be looking into a high-end rechargeable unit. Pneumatic was the way to go 20 years ago, but a compressor is noisy, you have to wait for it to air-up and the hose is a hassle. Of course there are other benefits to having a compressor.

I have a 5 gallon 150 psi Craftsman. Two things I don't like about it...1) I wish it were an upright, rather than a floor-space-hogging horizontal model, and 2) i doesn't really put out 150 psi. And of course it is noisy... oh, and 3) the drain valve leaks a bit of air now...

Coincidence that you mention this...but I'm looking to buy a cordless (electric) impact wrench. My friend told me to get a DaWalt. Any experience with those?

I have a 5 gallon 150 psi Craftsman. Two things I don't like about it...1) I wish it were an upright, rather than a floor-space-hogging horizontal model, and 2) i doesn't really put out 150 psi. And of course it is noisy... oh, and 3) the drain valve leaks a bit of air now...

Coincidence that you mention this...but I'm looking to buy a cordless (electric) impact wrench. My friend told me to get a DaWalt. Any experience with those?

Your compressor drain leaks and nothing comes out of my drain (rust I assume. My fault for never draining the water out of the tank).

I have a DeWalt 18V electric drill that I've had for a about 7 years. I like it, still works great and I'm still using the original 2 batteries it came with. IDK about their impacts though. I haven't done my research on electric impacts yet, but I plan to pretty soon. Maybe I'll ask for one for Xmas.

I have a Ryobi impact that works great. I like to use it because the batteries are interchangeable with many of their other tools

@Mitchs07explorer

You should be fine to bust them loose and then let the tank build back up for a few minutes like @1998Exp said.

I'm personally sporting an old 1975 LeRoi Brand 2AVC (2 Stage Cast Iron Monster) with a 120 Gallon Horizontal Tank.

It can keep up with anything I have.

Too bad it is driven by a 5 HP 240 VAC single phase motor because it LOVES electricity!

Regards,
Chris

Here's my regular 1/2" impact vs my stubby. It will get almost every Ford crank bolt out without pulling the radiator. Every mechanic should own one, I use the heck out of mine.

1519949181066.jpg

@boominXplorer

Air Cat is really making some nice stuff these days.

Awesome! Thanks guys this was exactly what I was hoping to hear, I might even downgrade the size of the compressor tank from the sound of what you all have been saying. Thank you for everyone's input :)

I've been looking at an electric one on Amazon, has great reviews too I think it's a porter cable. It looked like it was rated at half the power as most the basic air wrenches but that's the only electric impact wrench I've looked at. I want a compressor for other projects so it makes sense to me to go the pneumatic route.

Ryobi is the way to go in my opinion.

All the stuff I have is the Ryobi One System.

I have 2 of the Ryobi dedicated 18v impacts with the 1/2" drive output.

They're great, but, they have severe limitations as capabilities go.

I have several of the screw gun 18v impacts.

I have a 21 gallon 2.5 hp upright compressor, but don't use it for an air impact.

I bought a Harbor Freight (Chicago Electric) impact 11 years ago, and it was well worth the money, so much I have 2 more now.

I also have a Milwaukee electric impact, but it doesn't keep up with the HF impact.

It's great not having to use the compressor every time you want to use the impact.

Just last night I had a nut on a bike engine that wouldn't break free with my 36" breaker bar.

The 18v impact wouldn't budge it.

The old HF impact spun it right off.

The only time it wouldn't loosen something was a 93 Mustang frame/suspension bolt, and the high torque air impact wouldn't touch it either.

1/2 in. Heavy Duty Electric Impact Wrench

All of my cordless tools are dewalt. I have every 18v tool dewalt made, some I have 3 and 4 of each model. I bought most of them second hand or on sale. Most I've had for over 8 years. I've lost about a 1/3 of my batteries over the years due to them getting weak. Out of the probably 12 batteries I still use in regular rotation at least half of them are at least 8 years old. I haven't had near the luck with any other tools. I use my tools often so they go through a ton of charge cycles too.

Battery impacts are very convenient. No compressor to fire up, no hose to drag around. Portable as possible as it can be. They are great for lug nuts (once you develop a "feel" for the torque being applied)
but
They (seem) to have limits on very large bolts and you cannot adjust their force.

Using my 1/2 Craftsman 19 volt I have managed to snap bolts off and collapse or over-tighten bearings and nuts. (I always learn the hard way.) I carry it and a 3/8's model when I go four-wheeling.

Agree with Mas Tequila, electric FTW. Unless you have a need for an air compressor and pneumatic tools, or cordless that will always have long term battery degradation issues. Bought this Craftsman (I know, Sears sucks) 8 amp electric impact for less than $100 a few years ago during Christmas season to loosen heavily thread locked body mount bolts. Ford claims as much as 350 ft/lbs. may be required to loosen them, and this impact rated at a maximum 350 ft/lbs. zipped them all out easily without the use of heat to soften Ford's industrial strength blue Loctite. Only concern is size, electrics are quite long and large, especially within the confines of the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer.

BTW, I bought the Craftsman electric impact after the Sears tool department manager agreed to give me a FULL refund if it didn't have the needed torque to remove the bolts. Needless to say I did not have to return it. Must say this Porter Cable for $80 shipped from Amazon looks like a winner, especially for the price and higher maximum torque @ 450 ft/lbs. Sorry, still very leery of ANYTHING from Horror Freight regardless of price. Had a HF floor jack fail that could have ended VERY badly.

https://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5EPY730WD9QT8KSWHBG7

Welcome to Sears.com

Battery impacts are very convenient. No compressor to fire up, no hose to drag around. Portable as possible as it can be. They are great for lug nuts (once you develop a "feel" for the torque being applied)
but
They (seem) to have limits on very large bolts and you cannot adjust their force.

Using my 1/2 Craftsman 19 volt I have managed to snap bolts off and collapse or over-tighten bearings and nuts. (I always learn the hard way.) I carry it and a 3/8's model when I go four-wheeling.

Impacts guns are great for removing tight nuts and bolts. In twenty years I've never managed to break/snap a bolt or stud using my 1/2" (max torque 750 foot pound) pneumatic impact, so unless your dealing with very small hardware (which is perhaps rusted) I don't see how that can happen. For that matter why would you use an impact wrench on small nuts/bolts?

The way my impact works (I assume any style of impact) is that it hammers at the nut/bolt it's trying to remove until it loosens, then spins it off. Unless a nut/bolt is totally frozen, it shouldn't snap off. When installing/reinstalling nuts/bolts I never use an impact wrench. That's what a torque wrench is for.

The OP begins my saying he wants to use an impact to remove his harmonic balancer bolt. This is a great application for an impact gun, as it will quickly remove the bolt without spinning/turning the crankshaft. An impact is also great for removing lug nuts when a wheel is already off the ground for the same reason.

When the OP re-installs his his balancer bolt he can snug it down with his impact, but he should really use a torque to finish it off. This will be difficult to do because the crankshaft will turn unless held at the flywheel. If it were me, I might just be satisfied with using my impact on the balancer bolt for this reason, but I have a good feel for how tight my impact is making a nut/bolt and as long as the balancer bolt is tight it's torque is not critical. The OP may over-tighten his balancer bolt as he will be inexperienced with his impact (or in using an impact in general). As long a the balancer bolt is tight (might want to use a blue thread locker on it too) that should be good enough.

BTW - OP In addition to using impact rated sockets and extensions, it very helpful to have an impact universal joint(s) to be able to use your impact gun in tight spaces and at weird angles.

^ Great info Phil. Always enjoy reading your easy to understand and informative posts.

For those that need a reminder. Impact for loosening, torque wrench for tightening. Not NASCAR tire changers here. LOL

EDIT- OK, correction. Torque wrench NOT for the crankshaft pulley bolt. Any OTHER fasteners this applies to?

Impacts guns are great for removing tight nuts and bolts. In twenty years I've never managed to break/snap a bolt or stud using my 1/2" (max torque 750 foot pound) pneumatic impact, so unless your dealing with very small hardware (which is perhaps rusted) I don't see how that can happen. For that matter why would you use an impact wrench on small nuts/bolts?

The way my impact works (I assume any style of impact) is that it hammers at the nut/bolt it's trying to remove until it loosens, then spins it off. Unless a nut/bolt is totally frozen, it shouldn't snap off. When installing/reinstalling nuts/bolts I never use an impact wrench. That's what a torque wrench is for.

The OP begins my saying he wants to use an impact to remove his harmonic balancer bolt. This is a great application for an impact gun, as it will quickly remove the bolt without spinning/turning the crankshaft. An impact is also great for removing lug nuts when a wheel is already off the ground for the same reason.

When the OP re-installs his his balancer bolt he can snug it down with his impact, but he should really use a torque to finish it off. This will be difficult to do because the crankshaft will turn unless held at the flywheel. If it were me, I might just be satisfied with using my impact on the balancer bolt for this reason, but I have a good feel for how tight my impact is making a nut/bolt and as long as the balancer bolt is tight it's torque is not critical. The OP may over-tighten his balancer bolt as he will be inexperienced with his impact (or in using an impact in general). As long a the balancer bolt is tight (might want to use a blue thread locker on it too) that should be good enough.

BTW - OP In addition to using impact rated sockets and extensions, it very helpful to have an impact universal joint(s) to be able to use your impact gun in tight spaces and at weird angles.
I never even thought about having to tighten it back down and how I'd hold it. I was planning on using my torque wrench for that application assuming the torque poundage would be important so that's good to know it's not critical like an axel nut. So do you think even if I snug it back on and replace the accessories and the belt there still won't be enough resistance to torque down the bolt with my torque wrench? Either way good to know it just needs to be right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The problem with using a breaker bar or a torque wrench on the bolt is that the engine will need to be locked or the bar will turn the engine over. An impact tool applies hammering power very quickly before the engine has a chance to turn. Another option is to prevent the engine from turning over with a Vise Grip or a clamp.

Back