Keeper's Explorer. Take two. | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keeper's Explorer. Take two.

Welcome to my new registry. This is my 2000 Explorer XLT. Bought it from the original owner for $3,400. Came with the owners manual, and the paper work to prove it's been dealer maintained. When I purchased the Ex, it had 111,000 on the odometer, a small tear in the leather of the drivers seat, some sand in the back( take it the guy was a surfer, found a few surf board fins in the jack storage area). Gonna do a alignment when I get the chance, and start transferring all my mods from my Sport into this.

As she stands when I brought her home.

101_1666.jpg

101_1667.jpg

101_1668.jpg

101_1669.jpg

101_1670.jpg

How she currently stands.
102_0769.jpg

04/07/11

Current Mods:

Interior:

Exterior:

Lighting:
  • Sylvania Silverstars for the headlights.
  • x2 Hella 500 driving lights.
  • Fog light/ High beam mod.
  • LED Puddle lights, license plate lights.

Engine:4.0L SOHC

Suspension and Brakes

Drive Train

Projects for the future:
  • Quick disconnects for front and rear sway bar.
  • Possibly LS up front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like a fun time. How did those tires do in the sandy dirt? It looks like you got stuck pretty good there.

I always blow out those sway bar bushings. Actually I dont think either one of my endlinks have any bushing left, and they are only a year or so old. Offroading trashes them. My passenger side link is bent as well. I need to make a set of quick disconnects for the from and rear.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

It's the second trip out to Truckhaven with these tires, and they do great out there and really well out on the road. Don't think I had enough lift, or big enough tires to clear that little lip, with a rock or two I made it up.

I'm with you there really need to get those Disco's made for front and rear.

Make sure you install limit straps if you disconnect that front sway bar. Your shocks & CV's will thank you.

I blew out a new set of bushings every time I went wheeling, it's just too much stress on them.

Nice Pics too! :thumbsup:

Was great off roading with you again.:D I didn't get too many shots of you, will have to check with Chris. Here are a few. The first one was the canyon I wish we had not gone up. I need to get an alignment after I hit so fast where you had got stuck. Thats where I guess you did the damage to the sway bar ends. I also destroyed my front license holder and Explorer Forum license plate frame:( . The others are after the place I got stuck and our way out.
O'well...It was a fun time.

Attachments

• 2012_0114_143852AA1.jpg
    2012_0114_143852AA1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 495
  • 2012_0114_154116AA1.jpg
    2012_0114_154116AA1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 492
  • 2012_0114_154114AA1.jpg
    2012_0114_154114AA1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 499
  • 2012_0114_154004AA1.jpg
    2012_0114_154004AA1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 500

Great shots Don, it was a blast wheeling with you all. I too wish we hadn't gone up that canyon, but we came out with little more then some scratches so that's a huge accomplishment in my eyes.

I discovered that I had tweeked the right side of my front bumper when I hit that small wall. It was pushed the bumper into my fender. Chris and I spent the day at the junk yards and got a new bracket which I replaced after some prying. I'll get my alignment next week.

Oh. I had my transmission rebuilt before the trip. They had issues with it but let me take it anyway. Thought all was good and almost home when it started slipping. They had it another week and still couldn't figure it out so they got me another one. It really is a good shop and the owner is a friend. All seems great again. Almost have everything back together. I still have dust comming out of the vents. Will blow them out AGAIN.

Keep in touch.

Finally got around to replacing my front end links. Those bad boys were thrashed, drove Take Two around with out the front Sway Bar, and I have to say I'm not a huge fan lol. Threw on some new MOOG end links and she handles as good as new.

This year I'm hoping to us a portion of my tax return to get some new leaf springs and UCA's...gotta find the time and motivation to file.

While cruising the forum I found a mod that'll allow the fogs to stay on with the high beams. Took about ten minutes and a set of clippers to complete.

Anyone interested can find the info here.

Got the registeration for Take Two taken care of today. Had to get her smog'd as well, she passed with flying colors. Made me nervous watching the tech driver her...lol

photo2.jpg

Lately I've had quite a few family members come out from Minnesota to visit down in SoCal. Their visits have been great, catching up with the family, with life being as busy and stressful as it can get out here recently it's been great to laugh and smile. After they've left it's got me to thinking, I really would enjoy making a road trip out to MN. This brings me to saving and starting a few more mods I'd like to make to make Take Two a little more versatile for not only off-roading, but some long trips.

So far on the list I've got:

• Inverter. Haven't decided what I'll need in this regard, but it won't be a huge one as I'll be charging is a laptop.
  • More sound deadening in the doors to kill some of that drone.

..Always glad to hear when someone easily passes smog...:biggthump

..I've got a cheapy from Wally Word $29 inverter that plugs into the lighter which works fine for me...There is a sticky on doing one with the plug by the ashtray but, Ritsui also did one in the rear by where the stock amp use to be which comes in real handy for him too..Just throwing those in here case you missed them..

Got the registeration for Take Two taken care of today. Had to get her smog'd as well, she passed with flying colors. Made me nervous watching the tech driver her...lol

photo2.jpg

JP Goes in Tomorrow...but I put so little miles on it, that I don't worry about passing. Just change out the CAI, before I go.

Ted: I actually have played with the Walmart inverter. We had it hooked into a Humvee and blew a fuse pretty quit. Used a the brass from a stripper clip to get it working again haha. I saw a Cobra inverter on amazon and wonder what your toughts are on it.

Steve: still a lil nerve racking.

Hey Keeper, I picked up a couple of the Black and Decker small inverters that plug into lighter socket. Chris and I both charged things at Truckhaven with no trouble. Computers and camera batteries. Home depot had them at christmas for $20. Just my 2 cents.

As far as the noise on the road just turn up the tunes.

Lately I've had quite a few family members come out from Minnesota to visit down in SoCal. Their visits have been great, catching up with the family, with life being as busy and stressful as it can get out here recently it's been great to laugh and smile. After they've left it's got me to thinking, I really would enjoy making a road trip out to MN. This brings me to saving and starting a few more mods I'd like to make to make Take Two a little more versatile for not only off-roading, but some long trips.

So far on the list I've got:

• Inverter. Haven't decided what I'll need in this regard, but it won't be a huge one as I'll be charging is a laptop.
  • More sound deadening in the doors to kill some of that drone.

Keeper, that thing is looking good brother!

Here's a good thread regarding the inverter: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237721

Semper Fi! And remember, God loves a Rifleman :shoot:

Don: I guess you're right, crank the tunage up and drive on. Thanks for the lead as well, I'm hoping to make it a bit more permanent of an addition to Take Two.

Rando: Thanks for the link man, I'll have to bookmark that and come back to it. I sure hope he loves a rifleman, 0311, rah!

:salute:

Alrighty gents tomorrow I'm tackling the rear diff. I've got my new solid axle cover, I've got the friction modifier, to sealant stuff(forgot the name), all I've of left to pick up is the actual fluids. What brand and weights would you esteemed Explorer enthusiast recommend for my 4.10 LS axle?

1st choice = Mobil 1 - 75/140 - full synthetic

2nd choice = Amsoil - 75/140 - full synthetic

3rd choice = Royal Purple - 75/140 - full synthetic

4th choice = Valvoline - 75/140 - synthetic blend

5th choice = Off brand found at Wal-Mart = 75/140 - synthetic blend

No choice = 75/140 - Dino gear fluid :thumbdwn:

Top 3 are about equal actually, either will preform exceptionally well. 4 & 5, will work great as well, just wont hold up to heat as long. No choice, is my way of saying if that's all you can find/afford, go for it, but only if you do very frequent fluid changes, or is a temporary fluid until you get the synthetics. Ford recommends synthetic &/or blends in everything.

Back