MFT Owners willing to Beta test | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT Owners willing to Beta test

MikeFreas

Reaction score
City, State
VA Beach VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
I wanted to start a thread for people who were willing to test new versions of MFT for Ford if there is indeed one coming.

I believe the article linked below captures some of the problems people are having with the system with lack of training from the dealers but the article doesn’t talk about all the bugs the system has.

If you are posting and reading this forum chances are you are more knowledgeable then the general population when it comes to the system operation so what better place for Ford to look for volunteers.

When I take delivery of my X on the 17th I plan on paying close attention to how the sales staff introduces the system and try to look at things from the point of not being the tech person I am so I can provide feeback on the forum’s at least.

I don’t own stock or work for Ford but can see their vision with this system and want to help get them back on track. I doubt anyone here will argue the fact that MFT is the single biggest issue with their cars and because the system is offered in most Ford/Lincoln models it’s important it get fixed.

Maybe one of Fords IVT folks will chime in on this thread. If Ford hasn’t thought about sending beta versions of any new updates they really should. Non disclosure agreements are easy to draft and sign and we aren’t talking national secrets here.

Oh, one last thing. Though I really appreciate all the help of Cory and the rest of the Ford reps on the forum we don't need responses towing the company line about how "most customers are happy with the system" because JD power, Consumer Reports and many people here say otherwise.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/09/ford-reboots-myford-touch.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good idea here. I'll be following to see what sort of response we get from "the team" here. You are not alone in wanting to see MFT fixed and not just wanting to b1tch about it, but are willing to help if you can.

I'd be willing to do it. I have a background in computer science as well (BS in comp-sci and industry experience).

I wanted to start a thread for people who were willing to test new versions of MFT for Ford if there is indeed one coming.

I believe the article linked below captures some of the problems people are having with the system with lack of training from the dealers but the article doesn’t talk about all the bugs the system has.

If you are posting and reading this forum chances are you are more knowledgeable then the general population when it comes to the system operation so what better place for Ford to look for volunteers.

When I take delivery of my X on the 17th I plan on paying close attention to how the sales staff introduces the system and try to look at things from the point of not being the tech person I am so I can provide feeback on the forum’s at least.

I don’t own stock or work for Ford but can see their vision with this system and want to help get them back on track. I doubt anyone here will argue the fact that MFT is the single biggest issue with their cars and because the system is offered in most Ford/Lincoln models it’s important it get fixed.

Maybe one of Fords IVT folks will chime in on this thread. If Ford hasn’t thought about sending beta versions of any new updates they really should. Non disclosure agreements are easy to draft and sign and we aren’t talking national secrets here.

Oh, one last thing. Though I really appreciate all the help of Cory and the rest of the Ford reps on the forum we don't need responses towing the company line about how "most customers are happy with the system" because JD power, Consumer Reports and many people here say otherwise.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/09/ford-reboots-myford-touch.html

I applaud your effort here (and hope you get a positive response), but in my opinion ALL 2011/2012 Ex owners have been treated as beta testers. Not good.

The reason I feel so strongly about this is I know engineers, no matter how hard they try, can’t test things like the general public.
Back in 2000, when I was assigned to an Air Test and Evaluation Squadron testing the Super Hornet the guys who designed the lifting cart for external fuel tanks and areal refueling stores came out to talk to us. We had broken the thing several times due to several reasons including lack of training. The Super Hornet program is in the billions of dollars with lots of really smart people designing everything including support equipment. There is a saying that “there ain’t anything squid proof” in the Navy that’s proven time and again.
Another example if “what the hell were they thinking design” is putting the terrain management selector right next to the cup holder. Hello! Anyone see an issue with this? Spills?
My point is there are people like me who want to help so if that offer goes unanswered it’s their loss.

I am willing to be a beta tester

I do systems integration for a living (Crestron). I know how finiky gui to hardware can be. We've come behind other integrators who've had flawless system design and execution but CRAPPY interface. And then we've seen the other side of the coin where the interface is gorgeous but the actual system integration is crap! We're fortunate to have a boss that spent quite some time at NASA as a systems integration engineer. There everything has to work, and work well, as well as have a usable interface.

To confirm what Mike is saying, despite how we've tried to make the 'perfect' GUI for our systems, the best GUI designs we've ever come up with have been the result of giving the client their interfaces and having them tell us what works best. Now we've developed that further into a pretty slick interface over time that's darn near universal.

When I first got my explorer, myself and the programmer at our company sat in the car and diagnosed this whole MFT system. It's not much different than a home integration. A/C, A/V, Phone, & Nav. In a home you swap out Phone & Nav for security & lighting. What we initally thought is that the GUI is beautiful. The fact that no matter what screen you are on you can easily get to another function is king. What we ultimately decided was that while the GUI was great, the hardware is solid, the code between the two is crap! A simple button press on say NAV is probably triggering more than just a few lines of code!

If you think about what the MFT is doing though, it's pretty impressive. It's integrating between an AM/FM/SiriusXM tuner, a CD player, a GPS receiver, a card reader/processor for maps, an A/C system, AND a bluetooth device which is sorting probably over a 100 APIs to use the right set of commands to interface with whatever phone you're using. While this isn't revolutionary, their attempt to make the control of all the devices so simple and flow from one to the other in some ways is. I think about my wife's Toyota, and despite having much the same functions as my MFT, everything is VERY segmented control wise.

Anyway, sorry for my dissertation into the MFT.

In short if someone from Ford is reading, PLEASE let us help you. We're going to be using this thing for the next 3-6 years. Let us help you make it something 1) we'll enjoy using and 2) something others will enjoy using. The biggest question/concern with beta testing, is how do you check the aptitude of those who want to be beta testers to make sure you're not getting someone whose just gunna beg and complain about petty things. A beta program for something like this needs to cover the power (level 2) users as well as the people who just get in the car and use the thing (ie. my wife and mom) (level 1) I think though the first beta version needs to hit those who understand these types of systems are paying attention to what all is happening before something goes awry. Then let the level 1 users give it a whirl.

In short if someone from Ford is reading, PLEASE let us help you. We're going to be using this thing for the next 3-6 years. Let us help you make it something 1) we'll enjoy using and 2) something others will enjoy using. The biggest question/concern with beta testing, is how do you check the aptitude of those who want to be beta testers to make sure you're not getting someone whose just gunna beg and complain about petty things. A beta program for something like this needs to cover the power (level 2) users as well as the people who just get in the car and use the thing (ie. my wife and mom) (level 1) I think though the first beta version needs to hit those who understand these types of systems are paying attention to what all is happening before something goes awry. Then let the level 1 users give it a whirl.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've also told Rebecca that I would be willing to beta test. I am an IT Professional and currently working in IT Security, Vulnerability Management.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ford - you need a beta testing group outside of your own employees, and people like stripesace would be ideal.

I'm in also, anything to help cure the bad taste many users are getting, this will also help the negative feedback many magazines are giving Ford! Come on buck and let's get moving forward to better system.

It's great I'm not the only one who feels this way. In all honesty the chances of Ford actually buying into this are very slim but it never hurts to beg.

It would be great if the MFT system and integration was like a iPhone or iPad. Apple stuff just seems to always work.

Hi, Everyone!

Thank you so much for wanting to be beta testers! It's great that you want to help out where you can :)

Since there are so many willing to be beta testers, I will forward this link to the appropriate people. I can't guarantee any of you will be contacted, but you can also keep an eye on the SYNC Owner to Owner site for announcements on beta-testing:

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/p...=6&listMode=13&nav=messages&webtag=fordsyncmb

Thanks again for your willingness to help us be the best!

Rebecca

Hi, Everyone!

Thank you so much for wanting to be beta testers! It's great that you want to help out where you can :)

Since there are so many willing to be beta-testers, I will forward this link to the appropriate people. I can't guarantee any of you will be contacted, but you can also keep an eye on the SYNC Owner to Owner site for announcements on beta-testing:

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/p...=6&listMode=13&nav=messages&webtag=fordsyncmb

Thanks again for your willingness to help us be the best!

Rebecca

Rebecca,

Thanks for replying in the thread and forwarding our request!

So nowadays, there is no higher immediate priority at Ford than sorting out the fiasco with MyFord Touch, the Sync-interface overlay that has caused the problems. The company is working with dealers, salespeople, service technicians and others to make sure that Ford customers, recent and new, know how to use MyFord Touch without frustration. “There’s a ton of people on it,” said a highly placed Ford insider. Rectifying Sync “is one of the most important things we’re doing right now. We were almost in first place [in the Power rankings] and now we’re below the average mark. It’s got to get fixed. That will do more to hurt the momentum of Ford than a lot of things. We’re all over it.”
I slammed them in my Power's survey on MFT. Other things about the Explorer I like a lot.

“In the auto industry – with a product life cycle that can last 15 years, where it has to work at 30 degrees below zero and 110-plus degrees above – integration with consumer electronics is tough,” Jackson said. “So is dealing with what the consumer is anticipating when they get into the car. It’s very tough to do. It needs to be seamless and intuitive, and sometimes manufacturers get it just right. And other times it’s a bit more complicated than that, and the consumer is not going to be happy. So they have to find solutions.”
Yep

But some at Ford acknowledge the point. “With the original Sync, basically all you had to do was press one button, and that’s all you really should have to do,” the Ford insider said. “It’s all about ease of use. MyFord Touch effectively is version 4 of the whole system, and we’ve made it too redundant, too difficult for the average consumer to use.”
Lots of flexibility often comes at the cost of simplicity. Ford walked right into that one.

Specifically, a number of consumers also complained about the placement of the hazard button in Edge right below the touch screen. “Depending on how you do things, you might inadvertently hit that,” Moody said. “So we’re taking steps to get that [corrected].”
And Explorer owners, too

I guess my real question is if Ford can redesign MFT with the existing hardware? Is there enough computing power? Is the hardware capable?

I hope the answer is "yes".

Oh, and if they are looking for someone to beta the release - sure, put my name on the list.

the computing power of the APIM has plenty of computing power. It's just running inefficient code. I wish the hazards required 3 consecutive taps to turn them on. Though turning them on accidently happens much less now. Call it muscle memory to avoid them.

I agree with some, in that I feel as if I have been "beta testing" this thing since I drove it off the lot. That said, I'd do anything to see these issues get fixed, and I do have experience with field testing new tech.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would also like to be a part of the beta team (if created). Please add me to the list! I have experience in reporting bugs and crashes with companies I have worked for in the past and would love to help make MFT better!

Back