MFT Owners willing to Beta test | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT Owners willing to Beta test

Sign me up for sure!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The reason I feel so strongly about this is I know engineers, no matter how hard they try, can’t test things like the general public.
Back in 2000, when I was assigned to an Air Test and Evaluation Squadron testing the Super Hornet the guys who designed the lifting cart for external fuel tanks and areal refueling stores came out to talk to us. We had broken the thing several times due to several reasons including lack of training. The Super Hornet program is in the billions of dollars with lots of really smart people designing everything including support equipment. There is a saying that “there ain’t anything squid proof” in the Navy that’s proven time and again.
Another example if “what the hell were they thinking design” is putting the terrain management selector right next to the cup holder. Hello! Anyone see an issue with this? Spills?
My point is there are people like me who want to help so if that offer goes unanswered it’s their loss.

+1

You're absolutely right, engineers, no matter how good their intentions cannot replicate real world scenarios.

Bench testing is not field testing.

I think your beta test group idea is excellent, but I see one issue that the lawyers will have a problem with. Before they can release the software they would need each of us to agree and sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA)

While not impossible, it is still a bit of an administrative nightmare.

I would be willing to Best Test.

I was under an NDA before with Tivo when I Beta tested one of their new features.

Company administer NDA agreements all the time, whats important is for the Beta tester to fully understand what their agreeing to.

I was under an NDA before with Tivo when I Beta tested one of their new features.

Company administer NDA agreements all the time, whats important is for the Beta tester to fully understand what their agreeing to.

A Tivo malfunctioning can't hurt someone. I don't think MFT is integrated to any critical systems, but there are concerns. I would not beta test in winter time in MN and risk that the AC comes on full blast 100% of the time the engine is running. Not on my primary vehicle at least. Far fetched, but let's be realistic, these systems are pretty advanced. I, along with more than a few of you work in IT. Seventeen years in the field has made me quite familiar with Murphy.

A Tivo malfunctioning can't hurt someone. I don't think MFT is integrated to any critical systems, but there are concerns. I would not beta test in winter time in MN and risk that the AC comes on full blast 100% of the time the engine is running. Not on my primary vehicle at least. Far fetched, but let's be realistic, these systems are pretty advanced. I, along with more than a few of you work in IT. Seventeen years in the field has made me quite familiar with Murphy.

I have to agree!

My Explorer is my primary vehicle and it would not make sense to beta test software that could cause the vehicles climate controls to malfunction. Nav, radio and phone is not as big of a deal.

So, if Ford would just let me know when to pick up the loaner Explorer that they would like me to use with the beta software installed, that would be great! ;)

Well, since I'm already pulling logs, you can count me in.

I'd also gladly Beta test. Like others here, I'm in IT & have advanced degrees, if that makes any difference :)

OK Ford - so here's your chance. If you want truly "real world" beta testers - recruit some people like us to do it as well.

I think your last experience with beta testing (I assume there was some done) using your own employees produced really, really bad real world results.

So how 'bout it? Just have the IVT Team send US a PM invitation!

Computer guy here. Would be interested in beta testing, also.

I highly doubt Ford will extend it's beta testing to forum members but I think Ford should contact a couple of people from the forum or from FB that have had their vehicles worked on several times with no fix and see if the new software corrects those issues.

Ford should swap their rides for a week or two and test the new software on vehicles that could not be fixed so far by the service departments.

Hi everyone!

I would like to thank you all for wanting to be a part of the beta-testing process! I think it's awesome that everyone wants to help make this the best software on the market :) I want to assure you that the employees that have been selected are "real-world" users.

Here's a link to the latest press release regarding our beta testing:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=35730

Rebecca

So how is this different from the original process? Are there any instructions on things for them to test? Because no two/three people use a car the same way. As a systems integrator/UI designer myself, I've learned something intuitive/functional for the husband and wife, may be easily broken and unreliable for the maid because her processes trigger certain things to happen that we never would have thought of.

Hi everyone!

I would like to thank you all for wanting to be a part of the beta-testing process! I think it's awesome that everyone wants to help make this the best software on the market :) I want to assure you that the employees that have been selected are "real-world" users.

Here's a link to the latest press release regarding our beta testing:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=35730

Rebecca
Sorry to be so sarcastic, Rebecca - but how'd that work for you guys last time?

If you are telling me that this is a new program, that would explain a lot of things. If it is the same group of people, well, they did a crappy job of spotting problems. That, or your designers/execs didn't listen and rushed it to market.

Either way, I hope someone is really testing and listening, and making sensible release decisions this time. Your company has about one last shot to get this right.

The article does say that the Beta-Test "is part of a new, innovative approach to ensure a high-quality launch of the improved system". So, apparently they did not let a large group of people test it last time.

Only a 1000 beta testers? I really expected a higher number than that. I still have my fingers crossed, and I'm thankful we've had relatively few problems.

I thought I was a beta tester. I have been through 3 APIM modules and the new one has hiccuped a couple of times.
So now they are beta testing? Wonderful!
If they don't get their act together and it goes out again, look for a lemon law Explorer. I paid good money for the ex and it would be no more then it having a bad engine or transmission. Good luck to those that have had little or no problems.:usa:

Hi again, everyone!

You're all asking great questions and I'll try to answer all of them for you!

So how is this different from the original process? Are there any instructions on things for them to test? Because no two/three people use a car the same way. As a systems integrator/UI designer myself, I've learned something intuitive/functional for the husband and wife, may be easily broken and unreliable for the maid because her processes trigger certain things to happen that we never would have thought of.

You're right! No two people are the same, and that's why we have a diverse group of employees testing the software. I'm not sure if there are any specific scenarios they're testing, but like I said before, these are all real-world users. They drive these vehicles daily and would like our software to be the best on the market, just like all of you!

I thought I was a beta tester. I have been through 3 APIM modules and the new one has hiccuped a couple of times.
So now they are beta testing? Wonderful!
Sorry to be so sarcastic, Rebecca - but how'd that work for you guys last time?

If you are telling me that this is a new program, that would explain a lot of things. If it is the same group of people, well, they did a crappy job of spotting problems. That, or your designers/execs didn't listen and rushed it to market.

Either way, I hope someone is really testing and listening, and making sensible release decisions this time. Your company has about one last shot to get this right.

The beta-testers have been chosen at random from our Ford management lease vehicle population. All the testers will be in Southeast Michigan so we are able to receive their feedback in a timely manner.

We're dedicated to making this upgrade a success. Please remember that we are not only employees, we are also customers and would like for everything to work as promised.

The article does say that the Beta-Test "is part of a new, innovative approach to ensure a high-quality launch of the improved system". So, apparently they did not let a large group of people test it last time.

When we initially released MFT, we had a group of people testing not only our software, but our new vehicles. We are changing our initial approach by having our employees complete the testing for us in their own vehicles, with their own phones, and their own ways of using their MFT systems.

Only a 1000 beta testers? I really expected a higher number than that. I still have my fingers crossed, and I'm thankful we've had relatively few problems.
I'm a little surprised there are 1000 employes with MFT...then again I have no idea how many employees there are.

Yes, about 1000 employees are testing the new software. But like I said before, it's a wide range of people with a wide range of phones, media devices, and vehicles.

This is from a different thread but I think it's a great question:
Not to mention "enthusiastic" beta testers we would be!

Were employees asked to volunteer or were they chosen? Who at Ford would say no I wont help you test the software but what good is that if they are not an avid user of navigation, voice commands or really put the system to the test.

I think Ford knows whats on the line here, I hope they don't regret not involving some of us enthusiasts or some of those that have been very vocal about their MFT problems here and on FB.

Our employees not only volunteered to beta test, but they were also chosen at random from the list of volunteers. We did have some employees decline, but that's to be expected. With the holidays coming up, people tend to travel and they knew they wouldn't be giving us a fair evaluation of the software if they only used it for a day or two.

I hope this answers all of your questions and then some! :)

Rebecca

Hi again, everyone!

You're all asking great questions and I'll try to answer all of them for you!

You're right! No two people are the same, and that's why we have a diverse group of employees testing the software. I'm not sure if there are any specific scenarios they're testing, but like I said before, these are all real-world users. They drive these vehicles daily and would like our software to be the best on the market, just like all of you!

The beta-testers have been chosen at random from our Ford management lease vehicle population. All the testers will be in Southeast Michigan so we are able to receive their feedback in a timely manner.

We're dedicated to making this upgrade a success. Please remember that we are not only employees, we are also customers and would like for everything to work as promised.

When we initially released MFT, we had a group of people testing not only our software, but our new vehicles. We are changing our initial approach by having our employees complete the testing for us in their own vehicles, with their own phones, and their own ways of using their MFT systems.

Yes, about 1000 employees are testing the new software. But like I said before, it's a wide range of people with a wide range of phones, media devices, and vehicles.

This is from a different thread but I think it's a great question:

Our employees not only volunteered to beta test, but they were also chosen at random from the list of volunteers. We did have some employees decline, but that's to be expected. With the holidays coming up, people tend to travel and they knew they wouldn't be giving us a fair evaluation of the software if they only used it for a day or two.

I hope this answers all of your questions and then some! :)

Rebecca

Nice Job Rebecca!

It's nice Ford thinks enough about social media to have dedicated people like yourself addressing our questions and concerns here on the forum!:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice Job Rebecca!

It's nice Ford thinks enough about social media to have dedicated people like yourself addressing our questions and concerns here on the forum!:thumbsup:

Thanks, drober30!

Have a great weekend :wavey:

Rebecca

Back