My list of Explorer - "How to" videos | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My list of Explorer - "How to" videos

Here are more ideas: ball joints, bearings, bushings, shocks, springs, fuel filter, PCV, O2 sensors, U joints, fuses, relays, engine, transmission, transfer case, seats, interior, lights, stereo (the list could never end).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here are more ideas: ball joints, bearings, bushings, shocks, springs, fuel filter, PCV, O2 sensors, U joints, fuses, relays, engine, transmission, transfer case, seats, interior, lights, stereo (the list could never end).

Ball joints - Thinking about doing when I do shocks in a couple weeks but might wait till they break or squeek

Bearings - Ill do those as they wear out as well

Bushings - I might do those when I remove the front axle to replace the front differential cover

Shocks - Couple weeks, short on cash

Springs - arnt any on my truck

Fuel filter - I have one im waiting to fill the gas tank and run it out before I replace it

PCV - I need to look up where it is but thats very doable

02's - I need an exhaust and ill shoot removal of all those components

u Joints - I think I need u joints and both drive shafts so that should be fun

Fuses and relays - I can show the fuse box location and what a blown fuse looks like, sounds simple

Engine Trans Trasfer Case - Ill only tear into those if I have to, only 86k so prolly not anytime soon.

Lighting - I might be putting a brush guard with a winch and some PIAA lights or something we will see. If I do it ill write it up for sure.

Audio - There will without a doubt be a full audio installation radio, wires, door speakers, speaker box, subs, amps, the whole 9 yards.

Thank you very much for your suggestions, ill do all of them that I can. I would like to do as many front end parts as I can before I get an alignment but they are expensive. Keep the suggestions coming!

I asked this over youtube but, can you do one for replacing the underdrive pullies?

EXCELLENT, now it is very clear. Apparently, the rear caliper pins are different from the front. The front are two pieces that are separated by the caliper bracket (it seems). I ordered Raybestos parts from Rockauto (rotors, pads, pins for $110 delivered). I'll be doing that this weekend. Thanks a bunch, what a great resource!

I asked this over youtube but, can you do one for replacing the underdrive pullies?

First I need to look into what it does and how much it costs but im sure I can do that. Great suggestion.

EXCELLENT, now it is very clear. Apparently, the rear caliper pins are different from the front. The front are two pieces that are separated by the caliper bracket (it seems). I ordered Raybestos parts from Rockauto (rotors, pads, pins for $110 delivered). I'll be doing that this weekend. Thanks a bunch, what a great resource!

Im glad the brake video helped out. Do you think I should do a seperate video for the rear brakes or do you think people can figure it out from the front brake videos?

Update: Fuel filter and power steering cooler removal added.

I did some searching on it and I cant find a under drive pulley system for the 5.0 explorer anywhere. Do they make one? The ones for the 4.0 seem a little out of my price range pushing $250-300.

Very well done!
I have a 96 5.0 also and apparently it needs a brake fluid flush.
Do you see one of those in the near future?
I'm glad I have a west coast vehicle. That is some nasty looking rust to have to deal with.

Hats off to JLSparky! My brake job this morning went EXCELLENT, thanks to his informative video. Although, as far as the caliper slide lubricant, I like to use Sil-glide (NAPA brand). I saw he uses anti-seize. To each his own I suppose.

Anyhow, there were no hiccups. I bought replacement caliper pins, didn't need them, used the new ones anyway.

At some point I want to replace my rear leaf springs, any chance of video detailing that?

Thanks again!

Oh, and another item I'd like to see a video of is a power steering flush. I have the original fluid. I want to drain as much as possible and replace it. I have read that the power steering system is compatible with the same fluid used in the Trans.

Very well done!
I have a 96 5.0 also and apparently it needs a brake fluid flush.
Do you see one of those in the near future?
I'm glad I have a west coast vehicle. That is some nasty looking rust to have to deal with.

I actually need to run ALL new brake lines which is going to be no fun what so ever. Im not sure when im going to do that but I can whip up a quick video that shows and explains what to do for a brake flush. I might have it uploaded late tomorrow night but no promises.

Hats off to JLSparky! My brake job this morning went EXCELLENT, thanks to his informative video. Although, as far as the caliper slide lubricant, I like to use Sil-glide (NAPA brand). I saw he uses anti-seize. To each his own I suppose.

Anyhow, there were no hiccups. I bought replacement caliper pins, didn't need them, used the new ones anyway.

At some point I want to replace my rear leaf springs, any chance of video detailing that?

Thanks again!

Oh, and another item I'd like to see a video of is a power steering flush. I have the original fluid. I want to drain as much as possible and replace it. I have read that the power steering system is compatible with the same fluid used in the Trans.

Your welcome, anything I can do to help.

I dont plan on doing leaf springs just because they are expensive. I am going to be doing the shackles which are the part that holds the leaf springs up in the back. Ill explain how to take off the front of the leaf springs in that video. Im waiting on my shackles from copperhead manufacturing. Its been 9 days today and I have no got the order from them yet. So its a waiting game....

Funny you should mention a power steering flush. I have almost all the video needed to make a flush video. Do you have a power steering cooler? If so a flush should be easy. Pop the bottom hose off of the cooler, wait for it to drain then refill. There will be a TINY (2-3 ounces) bit of a fluid in the system still but just enough to where there is no chance of air getting in.

Power steering res removal and bumper removal vids added.

Low excelration / low in power

Good Work Mate,
Please let me know what are the banifits of seafoam? and I also need to know I am feeling My Ford explorer 96 start to lose pick -up I have to press gas padle all the way down to get excellrate ? what can I do to get fast response or high excelration,
Thanks & regards
Mateen

Good Work Mate,
Please let me know what are the banifits of seafoam? and I also need to know I am feeling My Ford explorer 96 start to lose pick -up I have to press gas padle all the way down to get excellrate ? what can I do to get fast response or high excelration,
Thanks & regards
Mateen

Seafoam is an engine cleaner that breaks down all the carbon build up from unburnt fuel. It is great at restoring life to an engine. Heres what you should do to fix your acceleration problem.

Seafoam
Throttle mod (I think its 16 in my list of how to's)
new plugs and wires

Should feel like a new vehicle after those. Wouldnt hurt to take your intake apart and clean the sensors and throttle body either. I have the vid on that listed as well.

Low pick -up

Seafoam is an engine cleaner that breaks down all the carbon build up from unburnt fuel. It is great at restoring life to an engine. Heres what you should do to fix your acceleration problem.

Seafoam
Throttle mod (I think its 16 in my list of how to's)
new plugs and wires

Should feel like a new vehicle after those. Wouldnt hurt to take your intake apart and clean the sensors and throttle body either. I have the vid on that listed as well.

Thanks dear for reply,
I've changed the spark plugs & wires nearly 8 months ago, soon after the change I do find bit improvements but still I m sure its low in pick -up, as I said I have to press gas padle all the way down to move the truck the its still goes to 100-110 m/hours but gradually.

I think I should open intake to clean the sensor as you advise, it may help !
another question, some time speedo meter needle fell down while running & come back ? is it cable problem or speedo meater it self ? how can I check & what is the fix??
Your video work is great & so helpfull,
God bless you,
Friendly regards
Mateen

Thanks dear for reply,
I've changed the spark plugs & wires nearly 8 months ago, soon after the change I do find bit improvements but still I m sure its low in pick -up, as I said I have to press gas padle all the way down to move the truck the its still goes to 100-110 m/hours but gradually.

I think I should open intake to clean the sensor as you advise, it may help !
another question, some time speedo meter needle fell down while running & come back ? is it cable problem or speedo meater it self ? how can I check & what is the fix??
Your video work is great & so helpfull,
God bless you,
Friendly regards
Mateen

Did you do the throttle mod yet? That one will help the most. Give it a shot and you will probably see a huge difference. Let us know if it helps.

Awsome videos they helped a lot.

Glad to hear they helped. More to come so check back.

I watched your vid on starter motors & they're great but my X's (2000 R/H/D export) one is a "pressed body" for want of a better term so I presume most of those easy fix's will not work.
What do you have to do to even reach it, be a monkey with wrists that can turn backwards & fingers 6" long, errr, stress, scream, etc, etc.
Thanks anyway.

I watched your vid on starter motors & they're great but my X's (2000 R/H/D export) one is a "pressed body" for want of a better term so I presume most of those easy fix's will not work.
What do you have to do to even reach it, be a monkey with wrists that can turn backwards & fingers 6" long, errr, stress, scream, etc, etc.
Thanks anyway.

That wasnt my movie, that was one I found on youtube.

lol about the monkey joke. Just focus on getting the starter motor out. Im not sure which ones are rebuildable and which ones arnt.

Low pick-up

Did you do the throttle mod yet? That one will help the most. Give it a shot and you will probably see a huge difference. Let us know if it helps.

Glad to hear they helped. More to come so check back.

Hello There,
I've spent some time with my Fordi yesterday, open the inlet throttle valve & cleaned the carbon build up, dramatically I found Air filter was too dirty, I droved in last sandstorm I guess, after all of it I found bit improvement.
I appreciate if some one can support that do I need to clean my fuel injectors as well & how easy or hard job it is ??

I did managed to change my Idler & engine tenssioner pulley also, its helps to smoother the engine noise but I noticed I also need to change Alternator bearings and carbon brush also AGAIN how easy or hard job it is if you guys have Video or under process ?

Its good fun & I thanks for all of you guys support !!!

Cheers
Matie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello There,
I've spent some time with my Fordi yesterday, open the inlet throttle valve & cleaned the carbon build up, dramatically I found Air filter was too dirty, I droved in last sandstorm I guess, after all of it I found bit improvement.
I appreciate if some one can support that do I need to clean my fuel injectors as well & how easy or hard job it is ??

I did managed to change my Idler & engine tenssioner pulley also, its helps to smoother the engine noise but I noticed I also need to change Alternator bearings and carbon brush also AGAIN how easy or hard job it is if you guys have Video or under process ?

Its good fun & I thanks for all of you guys support !!!

Cheers
Matie

Cleaning the injectors is as easy as buying injector cleaner like seafoam or Lucas or gumout and pouring it in your gas tank.

As for the alternator. If you can change any other pulley u can change out alternators no prob.

Back