• Register Today It's free!

Need Help with the exhaust

Good Times

Reaction score
City, State
So. Cal.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Low Roller
So today I went to get a smog check and they say I didn't pass because of EGR flow insufficient. I called my mechanic and they're saying that it's becuase the Gibson Exhaust isn't producing enough back pressure to open the valve. He's telling me that (without looking at it) that I need to probably go back to the stock exhaust system. I called Gibson and they're not answering, so I come to my fellow explorers and see if anyone has had this issue or knows of this issue and what to do about it.

Is it a cat back.....how big pipes.......muffler??

No back pressure? Any codes?

Aloha, Mark

PS.....How do they test in CA? Are thay actually looking to see IF everything is hooked up?

Here in Washington they stick a probe up the tail pipe and read (computer printout) pass/fail.......no visual under the hood.

ma96782 said:
Is it a cat back.....how big pipes.......muffler??

No back pressure? Any codes?

Aloha, Mark

PS.....How do they test in CA? Are thay actually looking to see IF everything is hooked up?

Here in Washington they stick a probe up the tail pipe and read (computer printout) pass/fail.......no visual under the hood.

re: ca smog tests: They're supposed to check everything ... last time with mine they didn't pop the hood ... last time with my son's he passed the smog test then they failed him because a breather hose was off and they wouldn't just let him push the hose back on ... they made him leave to 'have someone fix it' and then come back.

I doubt it's the exhaust. Gibson has one of the most restrictive mufflers on the market. Most stock mufflers flow better than the Gibson.

-Chris

Back