• Register Today It's free!

need photos of roof cages, baskets please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Slybarger said:
Here is a write up on mine and how I built it.

http://www.ultimateoffroadusa.com/roofrack.html

very nice, the only thing is there is lil too much plate for me.

and i just today got the same steel at the home depot for the rails, but i am going to weld two bolts to a section to make a U shape haveing two bolts per corner.

Oh and can you tell a little more clearly explain the bending the tubing?

and how much was the exspanded metal?

thank you very much!!!!!!!!

I built mine out of 3/4' square stock and have it mounted to the roof rack usint the sliding mounts for stock tie downs with bolts that fit. I caried about 100 lbs from Alaska to Kansas without any issues. I have also used it with lighter weights off road and have not had any damage to the rack or roof.

Charlie's_93EB said:
and i just today got the same steel at the home depot for the rails

i'd suggest that u stay away from home depot and other home improvement stores for ur metal needs cauz its REALLY expensive there. i mean not so much when u need like 3 feet of something but once u start getting over like 12 ft, the cost is just too much. try looking for a metal supplier around u or a salvage metal yard or something - this is where i found the cheapest metal. of course metal from these places are often rusted but its worth it.

IZwack said:
i'd suggest that u stay away from home depot and other home improvement stores for ur metal needs cauz its REALLY expensive there. i mean not so much when u need like 3 feet of something but once u start getting over like 12", the cost is just too much. try looking for a metal supplier around u or a salvage metal yard or something - this is where i found the cheapest metal. of course metal from these places are often rusted but its worth it.

is there a salvage metal yard in the MD area? if there is I would really like to know about it, cause I need some heavy steel to make some of my shop tools and fixtures

Here's my old 94 w/ a rack, I believe the lights were 4in'ers...

Attachments

• blackandwhite.jpg
    blackandwhite.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 551

Charlie's_93EB said:
Oh and can you tell a little more clearly explain the bending the tubing?

and how much was the exspanded metal?

thank you very much!!!!!!!!

Basically I used 3 peices of 3/4" plywood sandwiched together with the center board cut to the desired bend. (In my case I used a 12" bucket as a pattern) Drill a hole for a single bolt, to serve as a pin, to hold the tubeing in the bender. Then just attach a handle however long you need for leverage to bend. I bent everything cold so the handle was about 3ft long.
Oh the expanded metal was $40-50 for a 4x8 ft sheet from local metal supplier.
GOOD LUCK WITH THE BUILD :D --Sly--

Savage Wolf said:
is there a salvage metal yard in the MD area?

hellow fellow marylander -

the place where i get my steel from is 'Standard Supplies Inc' and their website is: http://www.standardsupplies.com

the place has more than one department and to get to the steel yard info, once you're at the website, click on Locations, and then its the "Steel" location.

just to give you a general idea of where its located, do you know where the Montgomery County Agriculutural Fair takes place every year (a.ka. the "Fair Grounds")? Its like a walk from there. another big place that you might know around the area is the "Lakeforest Mall" - thats like 3 or 4 blocks from the Steel location.

but tell you what, you give me that Atlas and i'll give you enough steel to make you're "shop" fixtures ;)

IZwack said:
hellow fellow marylander -

the place where i get my steel from is 'Standard Supplies Inc' and their website is: http://www.standardsupplies.com

the place has more than one department and to get to the steel yard info, once you're at the website, click on Locations, and then its the "Steel" location.

just to give you a general idea of where its located, do you know where the Montgomery County Agriculutural Fair takes place every year (a.ka. the "Fair Grounds")? Its like a walk from there. another big place that you might know around the area is the "Lakeforest Mall" - thats like 3 or 4 blocks from the Steel location.

but tell you what, you give me that Atlas and i'll give you enough steel to make you're "shop" fixtures ;)

Thanks for the info, might almost have a deal with the atlas :p seeing that I'm planning on building a 60 ton press brake about 4-5 feet wide :eek:

Slybarger said:
Basically I used 3 peices of 3/4" plywood sandwiched together with the center board cut to the desired bend. (In my case I used a 12" bucket as a pattern) Drill a hole for a single bolt, to serve as a pin, to hold the tubeing in the bender. Then just attach a handle however long you need for leverage to bend. I bent everything cold so the handle was about 3ft long.
Oh the expanded metal was $40-50 for a 4x8 ft sheet from local metal supplier.
GOOD LUCK WITH THE BUILD :D --Sly--

oh i missed that part like three times :confused: thanks i really think that i am going to try that

charlie

I too was pondering this question... And no one makes a rack that met my standards when I was looking. The biggest sticking point for me was the way most of these attach to the factory roof rails. And those aren't too strong IMO. Instead, I built a custom rack that bolts directly to the roof in the factory holes... No plastic. I designed it to fit up to a 36" spare and to hold four 6x9" KC lights. I also added "webbing" out of 3/8" rod to keep things inside. In retrospect, I figured out that I needed to remove the cross bars and open up the center of the rack. Now, I can haul 18' lumber in my little X!!! Maybe something like that can be designed to hold your canoe...

Here is a pic of my rack;
detail

You can see some more pics of it at the following links;
Dunes Trip & Bumper

Making the rack

Savage Wolf said:
Thanks for the info, might almost have a deal with the atlas :p seeing that I'm planning on building a 60 ton press brake about 4-5 feet wide :eek:

I hope when you build it you do a detailed write up on it.

I know I'm a little late, but I would have used 3/4" thinwall (EMT) conduit. It's got the perfect wall thickness (somewhere around like 15 gauge), is the same thing as HREW tubing (just sized different), is only $5 per 10' stick, is galvanized (forget about it ever rusting), and can be easily bent with a $15 hand bender. Most electrical supply places will sell you it in 10 stick bundles for even cheaper. When I get around to making a roof rack, that's the material I'll be using :D

ya i was thinking about useing EMT, but i was at the metal store first, supporting the little guy.

but the prob with round tubing is you can get a perfect 45 on one edge, but the other side is tricky b/c it may twist. and you will have to notch every crossmember.

but do not get me wrong i will be useing EMT a lot in other places

Yeah, I've been designing mine and there will be a lot of notching to do. A hole saw on thinwall should go pretty fast though. All of the notches will be right angle notches, so that will be easier than angle notches. I have a 12 ton HF bender that I'll be using on it. It should be a little easier to get good bends than with a hand bender.

I hear you about supporting the little guy, unfortunately I'm a poor college kid so paying the extra just isn't feasable. :(

When you get it all finished let us know how it affects your gas milage.

now this is a quality roof rack

Attachments

• rack2.jpg
    rack2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 465

Charlie's_93EB said:
ya i was thinking about useing EMT, but i was at the metal store first, supporting the little guy.

but the prob with round tubing is you can get a perfect 45 on one edge, but the other side is tricky b/c it may twist. and you will have to notch every crossmember.

but do not get me wrong i will be useing EMT a lot in other places

tubing notcher + magnetic level/angle finder is the way to go for the tube to get the notches right, soon as i get my lifted trailer project out of my shop I'll start posting some "shop trick" how to :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a Conferr...I'm pretty much over it and would like to build a new one out of 1" round tubing in the future...Although I've had 4 adults up there partying and a 33" tire at the same time, the flooring kit bent ouu kinda bad and the cross members just aren't strong enough...of course, the average run of the mill recreational hauling Joe wouldn't have too much of a problem with it I don't think...still too pricy tho... :D

Back
Top Bottom