Performance upgrades and stock max tire size | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Performance upgrades and stock max tire size

Reaction score
City, State
Hazleton, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
Hey guys, I know this has been discussed many times, so I'll apologize in advance:(
What are the simpler "first step upgrades" I could do to my '02 ST 4X4 (4.10 rear gears), and what is the maximum tire size I can install on the stock suspension/ wheels?
I have read many many threads on this, but get very conflicting results (mainly because it is covering the job1 instead of job2), so I could use some straight opinions on just the job2 stuff :D
Thanks a lot for the advise in advance, and I appreciate all the input from everyone in the past:thumbsup:

Job 1 engines were only in the early 01 models. Everything else is job 2... I don't know if I've ever seen job 1 performance threads lol. Biggest tire size without trimming would prolly be 255/75r16 (I think that's right).

Starter upgrades and the most widely done ones are plastered everywhere on the site. But it's usually a new Air Intake, new exhaust system, Tuner, and coil pack and wires. Over on mysporttrac.com they have some other projects with varying results.

New shocks are highly recommended, the stock ones are garbage. Mine had 2 dead spots each when I took them off at 90,000 miles. If you want bigger tires for about $120 you can do an Add A Leaf (AAL), and Torsion Twist (TT). That'll give a little under 2" and you can get 265's.

All this also depends on what you want your truck to do/ be.

Those are the only starter mods I know anything about. Someone else might chime in with some other things.

Back