question about torque wrenches

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
i went to buy a torque wrench this weekend (craftsman, of course ;) ) and i wanted a 3/8" drive thats capable of at least 100 ft-lbs, only to find out that the only available craftsman torque wrench capable of that amount of torque is a 1/2" drive (i checked 2 sears stores and 1 sears hardware store.) so i ended up getting the 1/2" drive torque wrench thats capable of up to 150 ft-lbs, and i had to get some 1/2" drive sockets (i had a few, but not enough to warrant buying the 1/2" drive torque wrench.) so, is it just me, or is it possible to get a wrench capable of higher torque ratings only if its a 1/2" drive wrench?

i also want to mention that sears is having some great deals going on right now, like a 100 piece "mechanics" tool set for $50.00 (originally $100.00), which i have a feeling that the person i was with picked it up for me also - to keep in my truck ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With 3/8" drive there is a good chance of sheraing the shaft at anything over about 80ft-lbs. Hence the wrench only comes in 1/2". Please don't be tempted with an adapter to take it down to 3/8" because of this. Also a good idea to get the six sided sockets to prevent rounding for high torque bolts. A good tool set will make even dificult jobs easier and safer to complete. All the best.

ok, thanks howard. the only reason i wanted a 3/8" drive wrench is because i already have about 4 million sockets for a 3/8" drive, but, like i said before, i ended up getting the 1/2" drive wrench, since thats all they had, and i got a set of standard and a set of metric sockets to get me started.

tbomb,
You'll be fine using a 1/2 - 3/8 adapter for anything under 80 or so ftlbs. I use my torque wrench all the time, and the only 1/2 socket I have is for my lugnuts.

Since I always torque my lugnuts on, I also use my torque wrench to loosen them. I used an adapter for a long time, breaking them loose at 100 ft/lbs, until I recently bought the right size socket in 1/2" drive.

Originally posted by RangerX
Since I always torque my lugnuts on, I also use my torque wrench to loosen them.

One should NEVER use a torque wrench to loosen bolts.

ummmmm, why?

THey should not be used to tighten either, just the final turns.

They are a prescion instrument and are not made for that use.

Well, for $12 Bill and I can use them for whatever. If they get out of spec, get another!

The reason I say this is because I don't want to have to carry a breaker bar and a torque wrench just to change a tire. My lugnuts are 7/8! You ever try to tighten a 7/8" nut with a normal lugwrench?

If you are going to use a torque wrench to tighten lug nuts ( which neither I nor anyone I know of ever has ) then you surely want the torque to be accurate don't you?

Yeah, I understand why not, but I'm only loosening a nut from the same torque that the same wrench put it to. If it causes the wrench to be 'off' a little, all bolts with a torque rating always have a range, and I use the middle of the range.

Originally posted by Alec
Well, for $12 Bill and I can use them for whatever. If they get out of spec, get another!

where the hell did you get a torque wrench for $12?! the one i just got was $70.

thanks for the help guys; looks like ill be returning that $50 worth of 1/2" drive sockets, for a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter, and i guess some more 3/8" sockets (metric and deep well.) ill keep the one size i need for my lugs, though.

Harbor Freight Tools ;)

Sometimes cheap Chinese stuff is ok :D

Harbor Freight when they have them on sale!

I would serously doubt the accuracy of a $12 torque wrench

One of mine ( inch.pounds range ) cost over $300.

Originally posted by aldive
I would serously doubt the accuracy of a $12 torque wrench

One of mine ( inch.pounds range ) cost over $300.

well, most of the stuff ill be using it for isnt terribly critical (im not gonna be rebuilding my engine or anything like that), so i wouldnt mind saving that kind of cash. i just like craftsman cuz they make a good tool, theyre relatively inexpensive, i dont use my tools everyday or for a living, and if you break a hand tool, they give you a free replacement.

ive been meaning to get a torque wrench for a long time now, but the thing that actually got me to get off my ass and splurge is that im gonna install my new edelbrock shocks in a few weeks.

Shoot I have been using my dad's old torque wrench to remove things for years! So has he! LOL It's an old Craftsmen (15 years old) With the needle torque setting. It seems to work better then a breaker bar at times. :D If that doesn't work out comes the high-lift jack handle and it goes over the regular wrench. :D

Usually when you wrench long enough you can just feel a 100, 150ftlb of torque on a regular wrench. :)

150ft/lbs with a regular wrench?!?:eek: Is that with or without the HiLift handle?:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back