question about torque wrenches | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

question about torque wrenches

I have 3 torque wrenches: a 3/8 drive Craftsman click type, a 1/2 drive Husky click type (home depot brand, $50, better quality than the craftsman I replaced) and a 1/2 drive "beam type" Craftsman. Can you tell I'm a mechanical engineer?

I always use a torque wrench to torque the wheel nuts (100 ft/lbs) because you run the risk of warped brake rotors if the wheel bolts are not stretched (roughly) the same. This is probably more likely with all in one rotor hubs (2wd) but is good practice on all wheel nuts. I actually torque in a least two stages: 75-80 ft lbs in the first stage, 100 ft lbs in the second stage. Doing it in two stages makes it more likely that you get an equal distribution of force, and you only have to move about an 1/8 of a turn or so to go from 80 to 100 ft lbs.

My 3/8 drive wrench only goes to about 20 ft lbs but it is useful for spark plugs and valve cover bolts, etc.

The beam type torque wrench is good for setting preload for the wheel bearings on my camping trailer. You are supposed to torque while rotating the wheel.

I use a breaker bar to remove the wheel nuts. I don't think that loosening something will damage the torque wrench, but that way I never have to change the ratchet setting ;)

Originally posted by tbomb
and if you break a hand tool, they give you a free replacement.

You might want to read the fine print on that warranty. According to the Sears website, their Craftsman torque wrenches (in the $70 price range) only have a 90 day warranty. That is the reason I ended up buying a Husky from Home Depot. The Husky has a 90 day manufacturers warranty, but a lifetime warranty through Home Depot.

Originally posted by Okrazie1
You might want to read the fine print on that warranty. According to the Sears website, their Craftsman torque wrenches (in the $70 price range) only have a 90 day warranty. That is the reason I ended up buying a Huskey from Home Depot. The Huskey has a 90 day manufacturers warranty, but a lifetime warranty through Home Depot.

Ditto. I bought a Craftsman a long time ago (probably about 1986) and the handle came apart 10 yrs later ruining the calibration. I took it back to Sears and they told me that it was only guaranteed for 90 days even though I was fairly certain that it was "lifetime warranty" when I bought it in 1986 (maybe they didn't expect me to live that long).

Cost more to recalibrate it ($65?) than to buy a new Husky which has a better locking torque setting dial anyway.

Originally posted by Okrazie1
You might want to read the fine print on that warranty. According to the Sears website, their Craftsman torque wrenches (in the $70 price range) only have a 90 day warranty. That is the reason I ended up buying a Husky from Home Depot. The Husky has a 90 day manufacturers warranty, but a lifetime warranty through Home Depot.

oh well. i really dont care. i wont use it enough to worry about breaking it and having to get a new one.

Back