• Register Today It's free!

Rear brake pads short lived

WDP

Reaction score
City, State
Eastern Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 AWD XLT
The rear pads on my 96 XLT are not lasting as long as they used to. The rotors are smooth and there doesn't seem to be any caliper binding as I have checked the rotor temps with an IR thermometer after a long/ no brakeing trip. I am useing Raybestos Prostop Premium pads. A friend says Raybestos has gone to pot , should I look for something else machanical or can someone reccomend better pads. Thanks in advance.

WDP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i heard the same thing about raybestos...

Have you checked the fronts? Maybe the rears are being over-worked?

raybestos are crap- lasted me 3k miles on the rear (but for some reason the fronts are fine). I brought them back to Pep Boys (dont get me started on them) because the raybestos have a lifetime warranty against manufacturers defects (and IMHO, a set of pads lasting 3k miles IS a defect). I am lucky i rotated my tires at the same time i changed my oil ( i had about 1/16 before there was metal to metal contact)
i put some good pads in after and theyve gone 10k with very little wear, so its most likely not your X, but the POS pads that you got.
I think we may have a case against raybestos.:D

Originally posted by rfuree11
...i put some good pads in after and theyve gone 10k with very little wear...

Which pads did you go with (the good ones)?

Honestly, i dont remember, but i bought them at a local chain for about 50 bucks for the rears only

Back