Safety Recall 22S27 | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Safety Recall 22S27

From what the manual says, it only applies the parking brake when you shift into Park on large slopes.

Peter
I can say both of our 2021's do that. One is our Explorer XLT and the other is my beloved Escape that I love beating the snot out of...lol....But yes on an incline they will do that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That certainly makes sense, so far it’s been challenging to determine what the fix will be from my dealer. I got under my 2021 XLT and observer one bolt in sub frame and two bolts in the front of axle housing into lower floor mounts. My subframe does have a pre drilled hole that aligns with the threaded female mount of axle where a bolt should have gone. Does the pre drilled hole without a bolt mean I have a two bolt subframe?
In Post #81, Zookaroo mentioned that the 2-bolt subframe is a different part than the 1-bolt. Looks like it would be an easy fix but apparently not. Does it look like this?
Guys, lets go a little easy on laying this at the feet of the engineers. Having been an engineer in heavy industry, it is likely not those folk who make the decision on the number or type of fasteners used to secure the suspension to the body. It is usually a combination of factors but primarially boils down to cost. Cost for the extra fasteners, cost for more metal needed to make the component, cost of additional machining time, cost of added labor time to install, etc, etc. Blame those that control the purse strings and attempt to get by at the lowest level of cost.
Perhaps I was a bit rough but the fact remains, vehicle makers seem to always figure cost of recalls/fixes vs liability. It's unfortunate that it takes injury or death to force them to step up. If the engineers had more influence to begin with, perhaps most of these issues would be fixed prior to production resulting in more money to be made in the long run. I realize this is an incredibly simplistic view but I just wish somebody had the kahunas to get things moving in that direction. :banghead:

"steps off soap box" 😏

One bolt Explorer Axle.jpeg

In Post #81, Zookaroo mentioned that the 2-bolt subframe is a different part than the 1-bolt. Looks like it would be an easy fix but apparently not. Does it look like this?

Perhaps I was a bit rough but the fact remains, vehicle makers seem to always figure cost of recalls/fixes vs liability. It's unfortunate that it takes injury or death to force them to step up. If the engineers had more influence to begin with, perhaps most of these issues would be fixed prior to production resulting in more money to be made in the long run. I realize this is an incredibly simplistic view but I just wish somebody had the kahunas to get things moving in that direction. :banghead:

"steps off soap box" 😏

View attachment 428935
Sadly, it's a repeating pattern! Bean counters should NOT have so much power over safety decisions! Even just with Ford alone, such decisions don't value customers' lives over profits, ---which end up TANKING due to public outrage when these decisions cost lives and it finally becomes known!

such decisions don't value customers' lives over profits, ---which end up TANKING due to public outrage when these decisions cost lives\
heh... hits differently as a 2nd genner ;) 🤣 although imo theyre not anymore unsafe than other vehicles of the vintage, but still... cant help but have a hint of fear once in a while... good reminder to do speed limit ;)

heh... hits differently as a 2nd genner ;) 🤣 although imo theyre not anymore unsafe than other vehicles of the vintage, but still... cant help but have a hint of fear once in a while... good reminder to do speed limit ;)
For sure I don't accelerate around sharp or sweeping curves like I did with every other vehicle I had, (all were sedans or coupes). Of course caution could be my middle name, LOL. I did read about the whole Firestone/rollover fiasco with our 2nd gens.

For sure I don't accelerate around sharp or sweeping curves like I did with every other vehicle I had, (all were sedans or coupes). Of course caution could be my middle name, LOL
better safe than sorry... dont want to roll on a back road and end up as some bones in a cool X 🤣 makes the X uncool with some bones:D

I just went up to the dealership where my 2022 Limited 4WD is because they acted like they were wanting to sell to me today. Of course, when I got there they told me that they could not let me take the car today. But were willing to put me in a loaner car until Ford fixed the issue. I told them there was no incentive for me to do that and was told completed sales would move to the top of any repair list. I am not in a rush so I stood my ground and told them I was not going to purchase a vehicle that I could not drive off the lot. I'm not even sure how my car insurance would handle that. If I had traded in my existing insured car and they put me in a loaner would I even be covered? It would actually probably be okay because I have a second car as well that I'm insured on but that could be a problem for somebody.

They told me several times that there was a bolt missing on my 2.3 l limited four-wheel drive. Reading through this thread I'm not sure if my car is supposed to have one bolt or two in the subframe assembly.

Anyway, I just thought I would let everyone know. At least I cleaned up my current 2013 Explorer anticipating trading it in today. 😄

Rick

Rick, according to this thread, it seems that yours should have 2 bolts. Since Ford put a 'stop sale' on these vehicles, it is no wonder the dealer could not let you take it. As for insurance, I think you would be covered in a loaner much the same way mine covers rentals. Check your insurance document. Good luck.

Peter

Rick, according to this thread, it seems that yours should have 2 bolts. Since Ford put a 'stop sale' on these vehicles, it is no wonder the dealer could not let you take it. As for insurance, I think you would be covered in a loaner much the same way mine covers rentals. Check your insurance document. Good luck.

Peter
I thought the 2.3L only has the one-bolt subframe. The 3.0 ST is supposed to have the two bolt due to the higher torque from the 400 hp turbo.

Well, the plot thickens. The dealership just called me back and said when they went back to talk to their service guys to get any status of the parts required to fix this car, they were told that my vehicle is not on the recall list. Is it possible for a 2.3 l four-wheel drive Limited built in the Chicago plant during the time of the recall to be correct? If I wanted to look under my car am I looking for two bolts or one in the subframe assembly? I've seen pictures with one bolt and one hole that does not look a place for a bolt side by side.

Any suggestions?

"steps off soap box" 😏

View attachment 428935
Sure appears if Ford rejects changing out a one bolt for a two bolt, it wouldn’t take much with purchasing a duplicate bolt and necessary insulators and washers an owner could better secure the axle housing to a one bolt frame if needed. The pre drilled hole is aligned to the axle’s threaded receiver mount on opposite side. Hopefully recall will result in the right repair. My 2021 XLT 2.3 2wd did get an official recall for rear axle, the question is what is the fix?

Well, the plot thickens. The dealership just called me back and said when they went back to talk to their service guys to get any status of the parts required to fix this car, they were told that my vehicle is not on the recall list. Is it possible for a 2.3 l four-wheel drive Limited built in the Chicago plant during the time of the recall to be correct? If I wanted to look under my car am I looking for two bolts or one in the subframe assembly? I've seen pictures with one bolt and one hole that does not look a place for a bolt side by side.

Any suggestions?
I have a 2.3 ST Line and have one bolt. It looks like this:

One bolt Explorer Axle.jpeg

Forgot to post the link to the thread a reference in my post #110.

Any suggestions?
Also, many of us with 2.3 one bolt are not on the recall list. Not sure if Ford is releasing VINs as they get to them based on manufacture date. Mine was made in early 2022 in Chicago.

Also, many of us with 2.3 one bolt are not on the recall list. Not sure if Ford is releasing VINs as they get to them based on manufacture date. Mine was made in early 2022 in Chicago.
Interesting! My 2021 XLT 2.3 2wd one bolt was recalled, it was built in June.

Are there any 2.3L with 2 bolts? Sorry, I'm pretty confused on what it was supposed to have. I am concerned that in a week I'll get a notification that my car is in the recall list.

Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Affected vehicles were built with a 3-point mounted axle design," Ford's report said. "On some units the rear axle horizontal mounting bolt may fracture. Powertrain torque through the driveline causes axle rotation of the pinion angled towards the subframe, which exerts a bending force on the rear axle bolt. Peak torque is normally experienced during a launch event."

"The joint design is not robust to peak axle input torques and manufacturing variability. The primary contributor is insufficient bearing area for maximum joint loads. This results in bearing area deformation, increasing bending stress on the bolt, which may lead to a fatigue failure," Ford said.

Signs of fatigue failure include loud grinding, binding or clunking noises from the rear end of the vehicle. The remedy for the issue is twofold. Customers will get a software update that will enable a feature where the parking brake will automatically be applied when the vehicle is shifted into park. Owners of some earlier examples (or any that show signs of fatigue) will get new mounting components for the rear axle as well.

Dealers will be notified beginning in April; owners will receive notices by June 10.

Back