sn0border88's SAS Thread | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sn0border88's SAS Thread

WARNING: This swap will be longer than bmxking's :eek:

Thanks to tig for a real steal that I couldnt pass up ($50), it all started with a d44 from a 73' Bronco. This means its drum braked, coil sprung with LP housing complete hub to hub with r/a's.

But, its matching width. :D

Its in great shape as far as EB axles are concerned. It has 3.50's which upon inspection are in PERFECT condition. Not one chip on any of the ring gear teeth. Also the rust isnt too bad, its simply surface rust, nothing damaging. Also most of the bolts so far are coming off very well, only breaking a few. Not bad for 31 years of rust.

So far in the plans are yukon 4.88's with full spool or lincon locker. Disk brake conversion VIA junkyard or broncograveyard, rear XJ 8" lift leafs and heimjointed crossover. To complete the swap ill be getting new cromo shafts front and rear with a new 5on5.5 bolt pattern for the 8.8 and 4.88's with a detriot. Also rounding it out are some new rubbers, either 35" boggers or MT/R's on 5on5.5 steelies/beadlocked pending on the DD status upon completion of the project. And, if it is no longer a DD when I finish, the top is coming off. :eek: :thumbsup:

EDIT with final prices

Upon completion it now had a Fullwidth d44/9" with 36" TSL-SX, 5.13 gears spooled rear and many other goodies.

Prices:
Gears D44/9" 5.13: $150 from PBB
D44 Master Install: $109.99 from PORC on pirate
9" Master Install: $89.99 from PORC on pirate
D44 Carrier: $60 Ebay
9" Spool: $129.99 from PORC on pirate
1976 f-150 Highpinion Drum Brake D44 : $85 from Junkyard
D44 Disk Brake Outers: $50 from Junkyard
1978 F-150 9": $50 from Junkyard
5 on 5.5 Rims: $20 from Junkyard
4 36x12.5x15 TSL-SX: $ 250 from Pragon Board
1 36x12.5x15 TSL Radial: $18 from Junkyard
Shocks: $100 from Jeff Daniels Jeeps
D44 Spring Perch: $20 Jeff Daniels Jeeps
U-Bolts (Custom) : $30 from local u-bolt shop
Brake Pads/Caliper: $31.77 National Auto
Leaf Spring Hardware: $48 Jeff Daniels Jeeps
Replacement A4LD: $65 Junkyard
Conversion U-Joint: $25 National Auto
Extend Brakelines: $73 from local brakeline shop
Steel: $56

Without what I paid those who helped, plus the gear installs I have about 1,500 into this.

Scrapping the TTB: PRICELESS

Attachments

• DSC06381.JPG
    DSC06381.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 2,864
  • DSC06382.JPG
    DSC06382.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 2,869
  • DSC06383.JPG
    DSC06383.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 2,848
  • DSC06384.JPG
    DSC06384.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,847

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Must have took some balls to start that project.

Ok, here are my instructions to anyone else planning on doing this.

Beer.

Prepare to stare at the roof for about an hour.

Beer.

Look at sawzall.

Stare.

Beer.

Stare.

Beer. Beer.

Say, fawk it!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Wow, nice work so far.

Welp, ive popped her cherry now. :D

Took one day at the new paragon park, its nice but horribly organized, sat in a 17 truck train all day with mostly stock rubi's who thought they were the **** (and wern't). I put them in their place a few times. Rode blacks all day, made it through a few good obstacles.

Carnage report: Broken windshield when I bumped into a tree and the top fell off and into/almost through the windshield.

Brake Caliper the pad separated from the metal backing it was riveted too and tore apart the seal on the caliper. Put an nut and bolt through the stainless line and finished out the day with ok brakes.

Tore off the pass mirrorwhen I got a little to heavy on the skinny.

Next day I went to RC with a buncha good old boys in XJ's, we killed it all day. Right off the bat I made it up a Red trail called Jotters Way. I had to saw off a stump and get a little tug at the top but I got 99% of it.

Carnage: Every body panel. Twice.

Put a huge dent on my gas tank skid, pushed the tank in so far gas spewed out the filler cap.

Lost a front drive shaft u-joint, the caps worked themselves free.

Shift motor went out courtesy of the large tree stump that did the gas tank in.

And the tierod.

:D

Also fubared a '99 F-250 bedside and tailight. its gonna be a long time till I can trailer again. :(

Got any pics? Sounds like a smashing ride!

Wow.. I also heard a XJ sort of crashed at RC near the campgrounds.. I heard he got stuck on a stump or something and caused both airbags to deploy and to rip his t-case in half.

where did you hear this, any more info. I was with the only xj's in the park that day I think. I left before they were all out of the park so I never saw them come out

On MD Creepers.. I think it occurred today.. not sure.

well none of them were from MD, let me know if you know more.

"We were leaving the park and on the last access road leading out that had been cleared. I was talking to my son answering one of his questions and WHAM sudenly stopped and the airbags deployed. I had hit a stump about 18" in diameter. Sucker just jumped out right infornt of me. The drivers side LCA mount ripped off off the axle. The front half of the T-case is now split into 2 peices due to the axle and drive shaft moving back. Funny thing is the steering didn't take the hit and is still intact. The claytons held up"

I can't wait to see pics on this :D

driving into town to get a new brake caliper, no trailer in tow. Looked down to grab my soda, looked up a split second later to a nice looking telephone pole. Swerved a little to hard and the back end slid out and tapped the pole.

Ok, on with the damage.

Attachments

• Mirror.JPG
    Mirror.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 403
  • Windshield.JPG
    Windshield.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 386
  • Gas Tank.JPG
    Gas Tank.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 415
  • Fender.JPG
    Fender.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 399

more

The pic of the windows is how far they close after the damage to the doors, time to beat them back into shape.

I also just saw I bent a leaf spring sometime during the day.

Attachments

• Harness.JPG
    Harness.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 394
  • Leaf.JPG
    Leaf.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 401
  • Adjuster.JPG
    Adjuster.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 405
  • Windows.JPG
    Windows.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 385

dang man... alot of damage in one day.. have you got any further on your top yet?

Click on the pics for a larger version.

Those are all from the red trail Jotters Way at RC. It was the easier of the two lines, but if my tires had better tread I think I could of done the other.

Nice carnage!

Jeez Micah! Do you have ANY kind of finesse to your driving style? Cripes!

Back