Timing Cover Coolant leak | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing Cover Coolant leak

According to AutoZone, no V8 until '96. All V8's are AWD. No 4WD's. For '95 the only engine available was the 4.0L OHV, whose architecture is closer to the V8 than the SOHC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Resealing the timing cover on the more traditional OHV engine is a lot of wrenching, but should be within the capability of the more advanced shade tree mechanic, so I would not worry too much about your guy's ability to do that. And while he his in there, you should have the timing gears and chain replaced. It may even solve your idling problem.

Like above, not a huge deal but if it is the OHV V6 I'd take a real close look at the water pump. I had one that slow leaked for a year. If parked for a day or two you'd get a few drips but not a direct path to ground so difficult to tell the source. If it leaks while you are moving it blows back and probably looks very bad. Mine was leaking from the weep hole and the pump eventually failed abruptly.

You are right, sorry. Typo. V6, not V8..XLT. Good catch. I've edited the original post. Now...with that info, again...what are the chances of other stuff being broken after having to take them off and put them back on...and also whats the chance of the cassette needing changing instead? Again. It ONLY runs rough/rattles upon warm start. I just ran the SUV round trip 100 miles today, parked it in the garage, and show no leaking. It did, however, have rough starts the three times I stopped and started it back up.

You don't have any cassettes and there isn't much to break when resealing a timing cover -- except for the bolts that hold it, which would be the mechanic's headache, not yours. However, rattling on a warm start hints at low oil pressure - which would indicate a worn engine. So indeed, this may not be worth repairing. Good luck!

You are right, sorry. Typo. V6, not V8..XLT. Good catch. I've edited the original post. Now...with that info, again...what are the chances of other stuff being broken after having to take them off and put them back on...and also whats the chance of the cassette needing changing instead? Again. It ONLY runs rough/rattles upon warm start. I just ran the SUV round trip 100 miles today, parked it in the garage, and show no leaking. It did, however, have rough starts the three times I stopped and started it back up.

lol, sorry, I missed that about it being the 1997. I think I need to defrag my brain......ok, good. simple potential timing chain, timing cover gasket...not difficult. Rattle could be engine wearing out. Got it. Ok...wish me luck!

Timing Cover Gasket Leak

1997 Ford Explorer SOHC V6; 225,000 miles and has had only a few problems over 18 years. First a crank location sensor (2006); second a radiator leak (2010); third a slipping transmission (2013). All were fixed by the owner at minimal cost.

My current problem (2015) is a serious coolant leak in the driver side timing chain gasket. The oil is clean so there is no inside block leak. I figured this was a $600 repair so I did not even bother to get a repair quote. Since I planned to replace the vehicle later this year, I did not want to spend much myself either.

Anyway, yesterday I put in one 18oz bottle of Bar's Leaks, liquid copper, cooling system block seal. With 15 minutes the leak completely stopped; there is no sign of any coolant leak from the timing chain cover gasket.

Has anyone had any experience with using a coolant sealant like this to solve a similar problem. If this was a newer car, I would not have used a sealant, but it seems to have worked. Should I leave the sealant in the system now that the leak has stopped, or should I let it go for a month or so and then flush the coolant system and refill with fresh coolant? Any advice is appreciated.

view

Back