• Register Today It's free!

Unlocking a Verizon Tablet....

Scorpion8

Reaction score
City, State
SouthEast Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
I picked up a *mint* Samsung Galaxy Tab E 8.0 tablet at a yardsale for $50. Trouble is that it's a Verizon device. I'm a long time AT&T customer. AT&T is GSM-system, with a SIM card. Verizon is CDMA and the two shall not mixt. Or so I thought. The tablet has a spot for a SIM card, but I need to unlock it from Verizon. 'Net research says most modern CDMA devices can use the portion of the GSM network in 4G LTE. You see lots of phones and tablets for sale listed as "unlocked" or "jailbroken", …. so.... how does one do that?

I know I can use the tablet as a WiFi-only device just fine, but that limits it. It's a nice 32GB model with Android 7.1.1 so it's fairly new/recent. Would perhaps like to add a line to my current account and get another SIM to use on this device.

Any help out there or experience doing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It kinda sounds illegal

It kinda sounds illegal

Hardly. Any owner of a device is allowed to unlock it from a fixed carrier once your contract is finished or you own the device. Verizon claims they don't lock theirs, but for a certain time they did. The device has no contract and is free-clear so I should be able to use it with an AT&T sim card.

Then i guess i’d call verizon and see how to unlock it?

Put the At&t SIM card in. Then go to settings, network, choose network , select gsm instead of cdma. Reboot tablet and that should do it

If its carrier locked, or there is a balance still owed they might still have it locked. If the suggestion i gave doesn't work, call Verizon and ask for the SIM unlock code and instructions on how to

Put the At&t SIM card in. Then go to settings, network, choose network , select gsm instead of cdma. Reboot tablet and that should do it

The "Network operator" selection is greyed-out and not selectable even with the AT&T sim installed. I'll stop by Verizon tomorrow.

Back