Wanderer's Caged FW SAS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanderer's Caged FW SAS

EDIT for spec's
current sofar 1-11-07
exocage done by www.bbpfab.com -Pottsy is an awsome dude..and a great friend..

SAS (solid axle swap)
hd Low pinion D44 (8lug 1 ton)converted to coils and radius arms.
sterling 10.25 moved spring pearches...(prolly gonna movem outboard later)

current setup
4.0L V6-exausted..worn out..
A4LD-still surviving..dunno why..double tranny coolers help.
Stubler..5 3/4in double reduction t-case custom made by www.4-x-fab.com serial # XFAB-01
1354 stock electric shift transfer case
TTB d35 with prototyped application from www.aussielocker.com (those guys worked with me to find an off the shelf unit that would fit the ford TTB35's..currently now offered..and my install linked from their main site)
8.8 with aluminum IFS cover and whooped/worn out L/S
35x12.50x15 TSL swampers..
VIVAIR OBA compressor from Chubby at www.4wheelparts.com PARMA OHIO store.
OBA storage via scuba tank
superlift super-runner steering
rancho 5000 shocks.
6in skyjacker 2 lift. front
added leafs and 1.5in LIFT shackles from WARRIOR (also Chubby at 4wp) re-drilled to stock length..
rocklights that get busted off all the time.
interior lights for wheelin with the kid.
and my pride of the truck..
DANCIN HULA GIRL..shakin her money maker down every trail!!

hacked all the lift and axles out..
rebuilt the HD44 bearings/ball and U-joints (upgrade to spicer 760's Via Cowboy from COWBOY'S MUDRUN at Heath,OH NAPA store)
moved sterling's pearche in about 2in each side..and 3/4in thick Ubolts from S&S spring Mt.Perry,OH..(those guys are great!)
custom crossmember.
custom axlemounts
6in EB coils (softer spring for better ride/flex)
Craiger 15x7 8 on 6.5 rims to keep my 15's
custom beadlocks from www.DIY4X.com

building radius arms currently..ran out of mig wire..

older posts...will try to get most of the info transfered to here...main thread here..

http://www.offroadohio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1110
I got a bug in my butt and decided to prep the rear axle for the explorer...(after busting the 3rd driveshaft..)

so I spent 2hrs chopin off the old shock mounts and spring perches...and rewelding the perches for the explorer spring width..now to get the porta-ban from work to start removing the extra webing from the bottom of the sterling..:)

busted shaft.
shaft1.jpg

todays work..
perch1.jpg

perch.jpg

diff1.jpg

I got more done today..brought the porta ban home from work and trimmed the fat off the axles...also got all the old brackets off the 44..

now its time for some BJ's (ball-joints :wiggle to ) and universal joints..then onto brackets welded on the front..then arms...

its commin...

what it looked like before..(well..actually its one of the other sterlings I have..but same thing)
DCP_5246.JPG

DCP_5245.JPG

after trimmin the fat..
DCP_5243.JPG

DCP_5244.JPG

before
DCP_5250.JPG

DCP_5251.JPG

after
DCP_5252.JPG

DCP_5253.JPG

DCP_5254.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHOOT!!...Cowboy is givin me the hookup...OEM balljoints AND spicer upgrage 760 joints...AND gettin HIS price from the local spring shop for U-bolts (they want $50 at the parts stores for 4 freakin u-bolts!!)...

friday it should be ready....(well had to get the u-joints shipped in...so I'll gather it all the same day)...

time to go home and pull some axles!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tony, you're making me look like a slack ass

oh wait...i AM a slack ass :D

well...get the heaters fired up in the garage...put your carharts on...get some tunes for the radio..and go get some WORK DONE...slacker..:salute:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

you forgot the beer:) ... are those 3point tractor bars you used for ur R/Aand track bar??? as a farmer i tend to notice these things:p:

you forgot the beer:) ... are those 3point tractor bars you used for ur R/Aand track bar??? as a farmer i tend to notice these things:p:

yep...and heres the reasoning (since you didnt ask)....just like the steering im going to use...

availability of parts...

I COULD...order heim ends..wait for them to get delivered..then install...when I break them..(not IF..but when)...I have to order another one..wait for the delivery..and install...

now..if Im out wheelin..and it breaks in a bad part of the trail (cant get it out kinda place)...and since we usually wheel in the COUNTRY....

get a ride to TSC..or the closest farm implement/feed store (go dig through somones barn)...pickup another tractor link ($20-$30 generally)..drive back to the wheelin spot..unbolt the busted one...and swap it out...easy fix (or just throw a tractor link in the spare bin of the truck..theyre not that big..and store flat..)

I plan on using the chevy 1ton tie rod ends...they are an ON THE SHELF PART at any parts store..even the ****tiest po-dunk parts store will have all 4 on the shelf 24/7...and at $30 a pop...Im not gonna bust the bank...with the same virtues as the tractor links...they arnt heim ends...I dont have to order them..they are a stock part...everybody carries them..

its about accessability to repair parts...Ive seen guys with custom stuff (axles,fuel systems..igniton systems..electrical components..) have failures..and not be able to goto the local NAPA/Auto-zone/Advanced or even Billy BOB'S junkyard and salvage to get a part that their local custom race shop (thats 15min from their house) keeps on the shelf...

when the shop is 15min from your house..and you go wheelin 4hrs away..the part you need at 9am on saturday is 4hrs..15min away..and your not gonna get to go wheel your truck..:thumbdwn:

Im one small farm town away from gettin back in the saddle and havin at it!!;)

we had a guy drive 6hrs (left at 3am) to come wheelin with us...he goes to back his truck off the trailer...shifter cable SNAPS...its an off the shelf part at any JEGS store..(maybe summit)...the nearest JEGS is 3hrs away...he spent most of the day tryin to rig up a cable...
if he had used a stock cable and adjusted/customed a bracket to use a stock cable...we could have taken one off of any of the tow rigs in the parkinlot (I mean come-on..how often do they break??)..and he coulda wheeled all day..but no such luck..12hrs of drivin..and however long he spent foolin with it..the truck never left the trailer...and I felt terrible...but nothin ANYBODY could do...

simplicity...KISS...Keep It Simple Silly..:thumbsup:

couldnt agree more,...this is what i carry 24/7 in my rig..2belts, upper and lowwer rad hoses, 3hubs, 4 drive shaft u-joints, left and right front axle shafts, 1 rear axle shaft, 1 alternator, 2 of every fuse on the thing, 2 fullsize spare tires, f/r driveshafts, box of assorted nuts, bolts, and washers, tierod, ends, and draglink, assorted wire, bailing wire, duct tape, jumpercables, 2 gallons of antifreeze, 3qrts of oil and ATF, 2 qrts of brake fluid, 1 can startin fluid, 2 fire axes, a shovel, a chainsaw, approx.150ft of chain&straps, 4-3 inch D rings, a highlift...and enough tools to strip my little explorer to the frame on the trail...... all added through experience.

a good tip, make a vice mount for one of your 2-inch recievers(great for doin u-joints)

think i should use tractor bars for steering? i think they are a lil too sloppy... opinion wanted

think i should use tractor bars for steering? i think they are a lil too sloppy... opinion wanted

I deffinitly WOULD NOT...just use tirerod ends..thats what their made for..or the nylon/tefflon inserted heims..theres ALOT of cycles on steering arms..way more than you think...tractor links wont hold up as well..(non greaseable..)

thought so

so why a 44 and not a 60hp??

well...got the old pitman arm off..and out of the way...

What are you using for a pitman arm? Something other than the Explorer stock one? I couldn`t see an explanation and I`m close to needing steering info for my own project. Thanks

so why a 44 and not a 60hp??

well...I bought it 3 years ago for another project...and never used it...so it basically was FREE....

and people around here know what a 60 goes for..theyre frickin gold....

LD50
STOCK ranger/explorer pitman

any updates?

drillin the holes for the rad arm brackets...and got some more weldin to do on brackets...but other than that...waitin on springs...and its cold..and work has been kickin my butt...(plus last weekend was a marathon drive...had to get a truck..then a frame..got home..unloaded the truck..drove 45min to my buddys to drop off his frame...then back home (8:30pm)..then sunday got up and delivered my old chicken coop to a guy I work with..then off to columbus for a birthday party...then home at 7..watched tv and went to work monday...relaxed monday..tues had class after work...and yesterday was grocery night...today the wife and kid are sick..so I've paid bills and played nursemaid...so no chance to hit the garage tonight either...)

so I kina been busy...:D

well..sorry for the delay..the cold weather kinda put a damper on the build..and the wife..then myself..then the kid getting sick last week...

and I've been waitin on the front springs to get delivered...the shipper found out the truck was in a wreck and the springs SHOULD be on their way soon...

and the water froze sunday...so I really couldnt work (cant wash yer hands)

WELL...since we FINNALY got water on after 4 days...

got the last 4 bolts drilled for the pass side bracket...
got the new F350 brake master cyl checked out and ready to install..(with dual piston calipers the stock explorer one isnt enough)...(gotta pickup adapters...)

bracket.jpg

master1.jpg

master2.jpg

master.jpg

looks kick a$$ love the exocage!!!
keep the pics coming

well...I bought it 3 years ago for another project...and never used it...so it basically was FREE....

and people around here know what a 60 goes for..theyre frickin gold....

LD50
STOCK ranger/explorer pitman

Nice build dude. I am sorry to say Dana 60, but I must. I wish I would have. I have about had it with the gernaded 760x's. They look beefy, but lock a 37" Tire (heck I busted one in my TJ with no lockers and 33s) and they are not beef. I think you have to see it like, Cash for a Dana 60 now, or cash for Chromoly shafts/ joints down the road. I am thinking another axle swap is too much work, so I gots to find some cash for shafts.

So there is no chance this would be ready for painted rock? ;)

So there is no chance this would be ready for painted rock? ;)

MAYBE....dunno...its probably not gonna be ready...but I'll be there on the quad...

KIRBY...I hear ya on the 60..but I had this..and I've already got a lead on the alloy shafts for her...:thumbsup:

TODAY...

ALRIGHT!!!

spent all day workin on her...front driveshaft is ready to go in..brakelines are pulled to be re-routed lower on the front..lower spring plates/retainer posts are in..those arnt the finnished springs..but they will FINNALY get her off the jackstands!!

coils captured at the top...retainer post on the bottom....I pulled the axle and fully welded the last of everything in (spring plate..trackbar.)...put the final grade 8's in the radius arms and locktighted everything in...

now onto the lines tommorow..still gotta get the adapters for the new master cylinder for the brakes...and rear shaft measured and made...rear brakes done/new lines...and order the steering arms..weld the lower shockmounts on the front...

springs1.jpg

springs.jpg

well...GREAT day for the sploder...

I unfortunatly got the wrong front u-joint..but no biggie...

I ended up taking BOTH the explorer and the f350's brake master cyl with me...and a GOOD THING...

apparently the EX has "bubble flair" brake fittings..and the F350's use "standard" flairs..so I ended up getting lucky that they were...cus I can standard flair at home....couple hours of work today..the f350 master is installed and blead in the EX..lines measured,cut and installed...

had to roll her forward (cus the U-joint was wrong couldnt drive it)..and tommorow I'll get the new rear wheel cylinders on..and new rear hardlines..then bleed the whole system..

then its time go get the RIGHT front u-joint..and Cowboy says he has the slipyoke I need for the rear driveshaft...

then replace the middle cage pillars..and put the engine crossmember in...then ream the knuckles and get my Chevy Tie-rod-ends to finnish the steering...

prolly monday evening it will get pulled out of the garage and back in..

still another few things I wanna do..(lockers and possibly hydro-ram assist)..

but its almost finished with the axle swap..

ALRIGHT fellas!!...

got the CORRECT front u-joint..and got the front driveshaft installed...

got the rear brake drums off...(it took the "alright ya little #####...either this knocks them off..or breaks the drums..either way...your commin off!!" kinda hit to BOTH sides after 9 days of soaking in PB-Blaster and verbal/physical abuse)...and new wheel cyls on..new brakelines run...all the brakes bleed...

and I moved it under its own power since I turned it around to do the front axle about a month ago....

too be done..
finish securing the front brakelines..
mount front shocks..
find a dam rear driveshaft slip spline that fits a 3in tube so I can cut my shaft down and install it!!
put the NEW locker in the front..(great..gotta take it all back apart..)
put the new steering links in..and ream the knuckles for chevy TRE's
put the diff covers on..and fill them with fluid...
check all my bolts...

get it outside and check it out!!

good progress so far.

Back