Whats stronger, Dana 44 or dana 60? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats stronger, Dana 44 or dana 60?

'97 V8

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
ft. knox ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 mounty 5.0 4x4 baby!!
Well obviously a dana 60 over a stock dana 44. But my question is, a dana 44, built with 4340 chromoly shafts, ctm u-joints, a spool, and warn premuim lockouts compared to a completely rebuilt stock dana 60...new rotors, bearings, seals, calipers, lockouts and u-joints...oh forgot and a ring and pinion.

WHats stronger?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maxed out 44 is probally close to stock 60 strength, however a 60 would be cheaper then. :rolleyes:

Stic-o said:
Maxed out 44 is probally close to stock 60 strength, however a 60 would be cheaper then. :rolleyes:

A lot cheaper. THe 60 im looking at is 1500 bucks.

for a stock 60? usually i see em go for 800-1000

But with all that, your moving the weaklink to the r&p, which really a day ender.

sn0border88 said:
for a stock 60? usually i see em go for 800-1000

But with all that, your moving the weaklink to the r&p, which really a day ender.

Yeah, i see the junkyard ones go for about 900 for a ford, and as a bonus you get the rear dana 60 as well. The one im looking at is completely rebuilt and has new everything. The only thing i would need is my hi steer arms and im good.

hmm. The thing is i get a gear choice with the axle, the gears are from yukon. I want 4.88's. I have a 14bolt rear end at home from when i had my blazer a couple years back. Disc brake coversion for that thing and a gear swap, i should be in business.

My best advice when considering the 44 vs. 60 is that if you don't need the strenght of a 60, the 44 is a whole lot less weight. two people can easily move around a fully dressed 44, not gonna happen with a 60. Invest in an engine hoist.

Honestly $1500 for a full rebuilt D60 front with your gear choice is a really good deal. Buy a used one for $1000 and you will spend more than $500 rebuilding and gearing it. Its the nickle and dime stuff like bearings, kingpins (or balljoints) and brakes that get ya.

When trying to decide between a D60 or D44 front, you gotta go on potential tire choice. If you know without a doubt you will never go bigger than a 37, maybe a skinny 38, then a built D44 will be fine. If you have just the slightest doubt that you may want to go bigger one day, then dont waste money on a D44 go with the D60 from the start. Its a helluva lot cheaper to start with a 60 than it is to start with a 44, build the 44, sell the 44 at a loss and then go get a 60. :p:

And FYI 2 men can indeed move around a full dress D60 front its just really going to depend on what 2 men you are talking about. :D

james t said:
Honestly $1500 for a full rebuilt D60 front with your gear choice is a really good deal. Buy a used one for $1000 and you will spend more than $500 rebuilding and gearing it. Its the nickle and dime stuff like bearings, kingpins (or balljoints) and brakes that get ya.

When trying to decide between a D60 or D44 front, you gotta go on potential tire choice. If you know without a doubt you will never go bigger than a 37, maybe a skinny 38, then a built D44 will be fine. If you have just the slightest doubt that you may want to go bigger one day, then dont waste money on a D44 go with the D60 from the start. Its a helluva lot cheaper to start with a 60 than it is to start with a 44, build the 44, sell the 44 at a loss and then go get a 60. :p:

And FYI 2 men can indeed move around a full dress D60 front its just really going to depend on what 2 men you are talking about. :D

Precisely. When my SAS is done I want to go with 37's or 38's. But definatly down the line i may go bigger. Well i guess i now know what im getting. Thanks everyone for the information, really appreciate it!

[QUOTE='97 V8]Precisely. When my SAS is done I want to go with 37's or 38's. But definatly down the line i may go bigger. Well i guess i now know what im getting. Thanks everyone for the information, really appreciate it![/QUOTE]

if your going to go with 37's or 38's and a good chance of going bigger in the future i'd go with 5.13's over the 4.88's

Go 5.13's.. they are nice :thumbsup: :D

We'll see. Now for the knuckles on the kingpin dana 60, will i have to get them machined or can i mount the hi steer arms right away?

I was going to go 5.13s but my local 4wd shop talked me into 4.88s. He said the overdrive in the AOD can easily handle 37/38s with the 4.88. So the 5.13s would hardly differ from 4.88s.

well I guess he does have the 5.ooohh.

Whatever floats your boat :p:

Any insight to get hi steer arms? Do i need to get the knuckles machined?

yes, i dont think any truck ever came with both sides drilled and tapped, they had one or the other usually drivers side.

Dedenbears. :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back