Where do i get a solid axle conversion kit...and how much? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where do i get a solid axle conversion kit...and how much?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There definately is not ready made "kit". Some members have sold "everything you need" before, but this is just cause they gathered all the parts and decided not to use them. The SAS takes a lot of planning and research. The more time and thinking you throw at it the less headaches and money you have to deal with in the long run.

Brett is currently taking offers on everything you would ever want or need to bolt a D44 under your truck, he has everything that uis required to bolt it up (welding required) and both the front d44 and rear 8.8 are fitted with 4.56 gears and ARB lockers...........those bolt up kits are a waste of $$$$$$

look under the classifieds.....

There is no kit available.

But if you are seriously looking to do a SAS, here is your chance: Dead Link Removed

Robb

Thats not true, I forget who but somebody sure does make a kit to bolt a D44 under your Explorer, Ranger, or Bronco, any ford with a D28, D35, or D44 TTB.....now I gotta find it....probablyfind the link to it at therangerstation.com

sorry, been known to be wrong before. It doesn't happen often though ;)

Here's one link to it, Fabritech..

http://www.natltire.com/ntw0799/pages/conversion.html

Personally I think a kit is a joke! It;s so damn easy to bolt up the original Ford stuff to get a D44 under my BII or an early Explorer its almost sad......(sad that I didnt go that route, but I;m gonna finish up tweaking my TTB first, why not I got nothing but time!!!)

Okay, so everybody was 1/2 right. IF you have a 91-94, you can buy a SAS kit. If you have a 95+, there is no such thing.

Robb:D

Guys, what model X is it. The 94 earliers are a lot easier then the 2gens. I just started working on mine and the only thing I'm going to have a problem on is the Steering components. What do the 1st gens use? Does it have a steering box similar to jeeps or Power Assist Steering like the second gens?

See 3rd pict down:
Dead Link Removed

Um,
If you just started working on it, how do you know what you are going to have a problem with? I have heard this conversion is a PITA on second generations. If it were easy, a whole bunch of us would have done it.

The original author has (or getting) a 1st gen so "kits" are available. Although ratings of these kits haven't been great from what I have read.

Xploder, but from reading through some of your mods and plans, money seems to be no object. So, things that seem easy to you, may be a little out of reach for most of us.

Robb

If $$$$ was an object we woudlnt be building late model Explorer's into rock crawling beasts........

Thats why I have a BII!!!!! hehehehe Everything I have put on my truck is eaitehr used or rebuilt from junk yards and late model Explorer's...it's cheaper that way....I helped a friend pull a D44 twice now for under $200, however once they are cut down, geared, and fitted with new ball joints, cut axle shaft, bushings, etc you are looking at $3000 just for the D44, then you;ve got the rear to deal with, and installation....so the D44 conversion is a BIG step....helps if you do all your own work....

Sorry if I came off the wrong way. Money is a total issue for me, I've been nickle and dimeing this whole thing. I came to the conclusion to work on the SAS because I couldn't justify spending $1200 + on the IFS front end if it's not going to do what I eventually want it to do. I know eventually I want to do a SAS so instead of dumping money into it now, I'm going to invest that money and the money I get from selling my lift (there is already a list of 5 people that want to buy it, if you're interested just understand there are 5 people ahead of you, email me and i'll put you on the list as well) to do the SAS.

I didn't mean it was easier to do the SAS on the first Gens, I know it's very difficult and pricey, but a few people have already done it. I'm traveling on a path that maybe only two other people have gone on (that I can't find) that we know of.

I've been thinking about this mod for 2 weeks now and started to draft it up on Auto CAD. I think I've got most of it worked out in my mind and soon on computer except coil over height and the steering components. I need to look at a frist gen to see how the steering is set up. I have to totally start from scratch, maybe go with a steering box from a TJ, I don't know if it will work, I haven't looked into it.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I offended anyone. This SAS on the 2nd gen is probably going to be one of the hardest things I've ever done, and is a huge investment. I'm going to try to do it on my own and not take it to a shop (since I have CNC Machines and Manual Machines available because I work for an Aerospace Machining Company). Odds are I'm going to end up taking it to a shop to finish it.

I work fulltime, goto college, and started my own business, money is a huge limiting factor, but I'm budgeting myself and selling parts to pay for this thing (probably take 5 months to do it $$$ wise). I've even put off re-gearing my 8.8 and my ARB to work on this project cause I can't afford to do both yet. The catch is I'm going to take extensive notes, get part numbers, exact sizes, and make 3 dim cad drawings of all the stuff I fab, so that when you guys are ready to do the swap, you'll have a road map infront of you to work off of. I have no road map right now, and the 1Gens do. Wish me luck, any help/ideas will be appreciated.

Drop your rig and a few blank checks off with me for a month. I'll take care of it.

I doubt I'll ever be able to put out a "bolt-on" kit because changing things such as steering, etc are somewhat complicated.

I will do SAS conversions though.

how much and where can i get my 1996 ford explorer front end convert over to a solid front end and do away with the stock front end
since i have own it from band new i put three set of cv axles in it, plus i want to be able to put in a 1999 ford 7.3 diesel

Find an off-road fabrication shop and pay them many thousands.

i want to be able to put in a 1999 ford 7.3 diesel
If you can get that motor to fit in the engine bay, you have the skills for a solid axle swap.

is it easier to transfer the body off the explore to a f350 frame with the axles and motor already set

and i don't want any kind of axles i want the dana 80's under my explore

Find an off-road fabrication shop and pay them many thousands.
if i know any shop in my area i would call them right now most shop are closing in my area do to the economy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If $$$$ was an object we woudlnt be building late model Explorer's into rock crawling beasts........

Thats why I have a BII!!!!! hehehehe Everything I have put on my truck is eaitehr used or rebuilt from junk yards and late model Explorer's...it's cheaper that way....I helped a friend pull a D44 twice now for under $200, however once they are cut down, geared, and fitted with new ball joints, cut axle shaft, bushings, etc you are looking at $3000 just for the D44, then you;ve got the rear to deal with, and installation....so the D44 conversion is a BIG step....helps if you do all your own work....
i just want to be different from everyone else

Back